Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine decision
ChrisW

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Engine decision

Ok... I thought I had decided which engine to use but I'm starting to sway again

So should i go for

a) 1.8CVH with XR2 head to get it through the SVA emissions test (no CAT!) then drop a 2.0 Zetec in

b) 2.8 v6 Cologne with injection from a Granada.

The injection electrics don't worry me and the Viento chassis is easily big enough for the V6 but my only worry is insurance (I'm only 23). Also, I'm told the Colgone both heavy and doesn't produce much power so it's not ideal for a light kit car.

Comments? Suggestions?

Chris

[Edited on 13/5/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kelvin

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
The Cologne's not bad (had many XR4x4's!) but is a bit limited in the tunability stakes. The 2.8 would be a better bet than the 2.9 if going carbs, but the 2.9 is probably better for fuel injection. Both have their limitations.

CVH, please no!

How about a Toyota 4-AGE? I'm planning on using one in a Leugo and Findlay234 is also going for one. 1600cc so it's insurance friendly, very reliable and revs like hell. Also can use the Type 9 box.

Kelvin

[Edited on 13/5/03 by Kelvin]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
surely for a young xr2 driver, you would use a bike engine???

Who helped you sort out the 2.8 wiring? Some really clever guy perhaps? No, not that I recon

Take a look on ebay for a few weeks at the engines that come up on there. Quite a lot of RV8 and BEC engines.

The main limitation on a ford V6 will be a high bonnet line - the plegnum is fairly high.

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Don't really want to buy *another* engine. It's got to be one of ones I've mentioned

Re the wiring - yes some very helpfull person sent me a diagram!

Chris

[Edited on 13/5/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

auzziejim

posted on 13/5/03 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
chris if its any help you can have a 2.0i DOHC and MT75 box if you like???

However its prolly no better than the 2 you already have

Cheers

James

ChrisW

posted on 13/5/03 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the offer but I think you're right. The DOHC is pretty tall I believe and would still put me in the position of wanting to put the Zetec in after the SVA.

Chris

My gaff my rules

auzziejim

posted on 13/5/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
ok chris no problem thought i would offer it neway!

as to your engine problem i think if i were you i would be sticking with the CVH for now and stick in a tuned zetec after SVA! thats the easiest route that i can see

Cheers

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.