Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pipes???
nick205

posted on 23/5/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel pipes???

Easy question I'm sure.....

What dia./material metal pipes should I use for fuel and brake lines on an MK Indy with 2L Pinto?

Nick

James

posted on 23/5/03 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Some rubber hose is need at each end- is there any reason not to use rubber hose the whole length of the car?

Cheers,

James

SteveO

posted on 23/5/03 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've just taken delivery of an MK Indy and got the 3/16" pipes for the brakes and bought 8.5mm flexi for the fuel from Burtons.
hope this helps.

Steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/5/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
brake pipes are made from brake tubing (duh) thats available from most good motor factors.

Its not the right size for fuel. On my car things are 8mm O/D for fuel.

I originally used steel pipe for the long runs of fuel, but have changed my mind cos they went under the car, and were too close to my under the ar exhaust (not a std lcost...).

The easiest way to run throu the tunnel was with rubber hose.

I got mine from europa spares - its not cheap.

about 3.50 / mtr for non efi, and 5.50 for efi. You may ned to double up on length if you need a fuel return, ala efi. I needed 7 mtrs or so.

Its supposedly bad to use copper for fuel as it can promote sludging in the copper pipes.......

atb

steve

[Edited on 23/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

David Jenkins

posted on 23/5/03 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I've used rubber hose on my car - bought it from Premier Wiring, an unexpected source, but fairly cheap. It's proper stuff, with the correct markings and BS number printed on it.

The possible down-side is that you may get more petrol smells than you would with hard pipe, but that's not going to be an issue in my draughty car! Apparently the smells can permeate through the rubber, eventually.

Some people use copper microbore heating pipe, which is 8mm od. Some people say the copper's a problem, but with a bit of research I found reports that say that this only happens when the petrol's got a lot of sulphur in it - not a problem in the UK. There is also a risk that the copper may work-harden and fracture, but I can't imagine that this would happen with our sort of use. Aluminium is a different matter, as that work-hardens with age, as well as movement!

cheers,

David

timf

posted on 23/5/03 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Runnig rubber hose the entire length is not a good idea. I ran a rally car which had steel braided petrol pipe through the cabin. after a good run there was always a smell of fumes in the car which was because all rubber tubing will allow petrol vapors to pass through them. OK in an open top 7 you wouldn't smell them but as we all know its the vapor thats flamable so do you want to have the possibility of collecting this in the trans tunnel.

i used the steel petrol supply line from the donor on the 1st locost i built.

craig1410

posted on 23/5/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be using steel pipe since corrosion shouldn't be a problem with the tunnel being partially enclosed. Ideally I want it with plastic coating though if this can be purchased easily. I think steel is best since it doesn't let the fuel vapour through and is more compact and easier to clip to the tunnel sides than rubber.

Cheers,
Craig.

timf

posted on 23/5/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
plastic coating

try plasti-dip

very good

http://www.frost.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Miscellaneous_16.html

Jon Bradbury

posted on 23/5/03 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Try plastic fuel pipe

I was unable to get any copper or steel fuel pipe anywhare locally, so ended up with plastic fuel pipe. Its much easier to route than metal pipe. The ends are terminated with short lengths of flexuble pipe that connect to the carb and fuel pump respectively.

Oh, and it is much thinner than braided pipe and alot cheaper.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/5/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
as the tunnel is open front and rear there would be a fair breeze going through it, so I dont recon there will be too much pooling or explosive gas.

On he other hand, under the bonnet, where the hose has to be, isnt a good place to set of vapour.....

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by timf
Runnig rubber hose the entire length is not a good idea. I ran a rally car which had steel braided petrol pipe through the cabin. after a good run there was always a smell of fumes in the car which was because all rubber tubing will allow petrol vapors to pass through them. OK in an open top 7 you wouldn't smell them but as we all know its the vapor thats flamable so do you want to have the possibility of collecting this in the trans tunnel.

i used the steel petrol supply line from the donor on the 1st locost i built.

paulf

posted on 23/5/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 8mm copper from a heating supplier and paid less than £3 for a 3 metre length , I secured it with rubber lined p clips and dont expect any problems with it.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Some people use copper microbore heating pipe, which is 8mm od. Some people say the copper's a problem, but with a bit of research I found reports that say that this only happens when the petrol's got a lot of sulphur in it - not a problem in the UK. There is also a risk that the copper may work-harden and fracture, but I can't imagine that this would happen with our sort of use. Aluminium is a different matter, as that work-hardens with age, as well as movement!

cheers,

David

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/5/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to turn over a fiat uno in the local scrappy, it has plastic fuel pipes which are an exact fit for my pinto injection system, and they are a really pretty shade of blue (and have all the right numbers on them for mr sva man)
Stu16v

posted on 24/5/03 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quickie...
I'm guessing that the injection system runs with a fuel line pressure of around 45 psi, whereas the Fiat lines will have been designed to run with around 3 psi ( if, in fact any pressure, as the fuel pump is probably on the engine, and therefore the line is running in a slight vacuum). Will they be up to the job?

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/5/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
The later fiat uno's run single point injection, the pipes seem to be the same thickness as the ford items
Northy

posted on 24/5/03 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does the fuel pipe have to have any numbers / standards on it?

I've just got 14 foot of nylon fuel pipe for less than £4 today, but no markings on it.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 24/5/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The later fiat uno's run single point injection, the pipes seem to be the same thickness as the ford items

I'll get my coat....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Peteff

posted on 24/5/03 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
8MM copper heating pipe with an inline filter before the pump, copper brake pipe for the return pipe. Standard 2.0 pinto pump.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/5/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
74324-rohr8x1-12/92-12 30--e-7558403/1--1028--r b460 tecaflex int ->pa12<-wlt-din

That is one seriously long number!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.