Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manual Auto Manual Auto Ma......
Simon

posted on 28/11/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Manual Auto Manual Auto Ma......

Chaps, your comments please,

I've bought another engine (R V8 3500 again) - comes with a (recon) auto box. Already have a manual.

What shall I use.

Choices, choices.

Could be the auto won't fit - that's not known yet!!

Thanks

ATB

Simon

blueshift

posted on 28/11/03 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
are you mad? use the manual.

I don't understand why you have to even ask the question.

chrisg

posted on 29/11/03 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Auto's are good for amputees and people who can't be arsed to drive.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Simon

posted on 29/11/03 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Just about finished my reply to Blueshift when machine froze!

Anyway, went something like:

Was thinking that it would actually involve more work, plumbing in oil cooler etc.

Performance wouldn't be that different I think.

Then I reboot and there's another response - Chris, I wouldn't have expected anything else from you

ATB

Simon

PS Just in the process of removing ancills from old engine, hoping to swap over next w/end. Just need to get new motor cleaned and painted over the next week.

If I get it int hen I'm going to start it up - without manifolds or exhaust if necessary

blueshift

posted on 29/11/03 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
bollocks to the hassle and the power, having an automatic locost would approximately halve the driving pleasure for me.

it's a raw fun driving machine - that means, in my humble opinion, it has to be manual.

I'm one of those people who doesn't understand how come there are more supras around with auto than manual.

madforfishing

posted on 29/11/03 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
Auto boxes ? ? ?
Have you seen inside one ? Ooooof!
More to go wrong, leave it manual.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rabiddog

posted on 29/11/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
some of the custom car brigade seem to favour auto boxes for T's and the like try and flog it on one of their sites they pay good money for them and you can use the money to buy something nice for your build!!!

How about a set of them gts alloys mentioned in another thread?

Mmmmmmmm......beer....aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

chrisg

posted on 29/11/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Chris, I wouldn't have expected anything else from you

It's called "Refreshing Honesty" I like to call a spade a shovel.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 29/11/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

PioneerX

posted on 29/11/03 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I drive an XJ8 (oviously Auto) everyday, I personalyl would not dream of building my locost with an autobox.

To me there are four main disadvantages

1), No clutch, torque converters (especally early ones), are very inefficent and you will lose 10-20 BHP to that and the boxes interenal clutches. Plus you cant dump the clutch and spin the wheels

2), Weight, autoboxes are very heavy (mainly all the oil in the torque converter)

3), Must uprate the brakes. Auto boxes (unless they have a lockup clutch and smart ECU) do not transfer engine braking to the wheels and therefore you miss all the braking power you engine can supply.

4), to get a smooth gear chamge from an auto box you need to have an ECU that can let the engin know when to cut the torque. As inthe Jag boxes, the moment the gear box goes to chnage gear, it informas the engine ECU to kill the torque so as provide a smooth change and less wear on the internal clutches.

my 2p at least.

Simon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 29/11/03 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Manual it is, and will be then!!

Rabiddog

Got any recommendations of sites (ie web addresses?) - thanks

Blueshift - don't get me wrong - I much prefer a manual box, just wanted to ask the q on here to see what responses I got

Chris,

I like to too, but can't spell shuvell. See

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 29/11/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
bit late for my tuppeny since you already decided, but when i drove a powerful auto it was very annoying, the moment you got the backend out, as you ease off the throttle to steady it it just drops gear, so all the fun is then over. equally, you cant accelerate on a roundabout incase the kickdown comes big time. maybe a good sports auto (if such a thing exists) would be different but even on 'sports' mode it wasnt up to much.

best left to limos and 4bys! IMHO of course...

blueshift

posted on 29/11/03 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Blueshift - don't get me wrong - I much prefer a manual box, just wanted to ask the q on here to see what responses I got

oh good, I thought you were building a v8 locost for all the wrong reasons for a minute

personally I plan to save the cortina wheels with their partworns as "burnout and donut experimentation tyres" for ours

PioneerX

posted on 30/11/03 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
JoelP,

Trust me it is possible to have fun in a powerful auto, but you need one with a engine linked ECU and manual holdback, I dont know of any 'sports mode' that simulated hold back, they all just modify the change point.

If you have a ECU -> ECU (engine, gearbox) link then sports mode can (and only does on a few cars) actually change the igition timing slightly as well as uping the change point.

However this is all useless if you cant tell the gearbox not to change or 'kick down' as in manual hold back.

Sorry to bore everyone, symtom of driving autos and working the technical side of the motor industry.

[Edited on 30/11/03 by PioneerX]

rabiddog

posted on 1/12/03 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Manual it is, and will be then!!

Rabiddog

Got any recommendations of sites (ie web addresses?) - thanks

Simon

try this site

http://www.rodandclassicmart.co.uk/

or this one

http://www.nsra.org.uk/

there are numerous others try a quick search as well

hope this helps

Craig

Mmmmmmmm......beer....aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.