Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sprocket Adapter - you're having a larf...
Tinker

posted on 6/12/03 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sprocket Adapter - you're having a larf...

As a competant, time served technical engineer. I feel very worried that the following picture of an item I have seen today, has actually been used on a car (yes - really!). With no apparent securing mechanism to hold the adapter on to the sprocket - and it doesn't even look as though it's been hardened/tempered or anything. Under scrutiny the welding is a bit dodgy too, it is so out of true!

If you ever see this being used on a BEC - or you have one... quickly take it back to where ever it came and demand a safe replacement. IMO this item should never have got through SVA (if it ever has?) and is very dangerous in it's current form. It could save you life...

TELL US WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Rescued attachment Pc060141.jpg
Rescued attachment Pc060141.jpg

Tinker

posted on 6/12/03 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
And this...

Rescued attachment Pc060144.jpg
Rescued attachment Pc060144.jpg

Staple balls

posted on 6/12/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
That looks really, really shoddy.

the teeth look far too shallow (10mm length?) and look like they've been distorted pretty badly.

i really really hope no-one uses that

[Edited on 6/12/03 by Staple balls]

Hellfire

posted on 6/12/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
How is it held on?

If it's the adapter for a BEC - how is it held on? Surely, it would slide off of the engine sprocket wouldn't it?

chrisg

posted on 7/12/03 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmm....

Looks familiar.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 7/12/03 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Chris

I somehow knew where this was going before i opened this post up,i seem to remember one of these breaking not to long ago.

theconrodkid

posted on 7/12/03 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
looks like the standard end of some ford props with a joint in the middle,so what did this prop come off then???

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

madforfishing

posted on 7/12/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
God, what a mess.
I know this is a bit out of section topic but...
Just as a thought - Bikes usually have the rear sprocket mounted through rubber bushes to eliminate the snatch effect on the chain (which is also O ringed) when you grab a handful of throttle. How do you get round this prob with a shabby system like this ? Does the output shaft bearing from the B.E take it all ? If so it'll not last many miles.
Also B.E.s are usually driving the sprocket with the loads being beared on the output bearing at 90 degrees. Can't do the gearbox inards much good driving the BEC 'end on', can it ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 7/12/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think quite a few people know where this came from, but I'm not going to say 'cos I think there's a court case in the offing.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Liam

posted on 7/12/03 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
!!!

I presume that must be made of the innards of the original bike sprocket welded to a bit of shaft - or how did they cut the spline?

I can see it would stay on (for a while anyway) if the sliding joint doesn't allow enough movement for the spline to disengage, but it's not exactly sound engineering practice!

What baffles me is why there is that length of shaft after the sprocket adaptor. With the movement in that rubber mounted centre bearing, that central uj must flail around like a skipping rope. Must be what has totally shafted the teeth in that spline (which surely must be hard if that's made from a bike sprocket).

<shudder>

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK

posted on 7/12/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, with regards to this prop shaft, we would like to reply, but since there is a possibility of two seperate court cases pending, for the moment it would not be wise for us to comment.But as and when we will.
m.k.

ned

posted on 10/12/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
being brave and abstaining from comment, perhaps related to this thread:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=7874&page=2 ?

See post 4th from end by woodster.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

chrisg

posted on 10/12/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well I supose it has to be said, the propshaft is the work of Sports Power Drive, and the court action results from SPD going back on their word and not paying for the repair.

There is also some doubt about the SVA status of the car and indeed the identity.

My sympathies are with Woodster

Cheers

Chris

Jon Ison

posted on 10/12/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmmm, the very same guys that sent me several e~mails regards my comments on the subject at the time, i did'nt then and wont now reply to them or make them public, but i guess you dont have to be the brightest bulb in the world to guess their content.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/12/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
oh, this was the post that was the subject of the e~mails i recieved

"read the above posts carfully, ok MK is repairing the car but who is footing the bill ?
bit like saying it was ADR's fault your mondeo got trashed on the M1.

I have seen the car at BTW not just posting speculation".

the aim of the post was to make a point i IMO felt need'd making, in no way IMO, was the fact that MK was doing the repair where they responsible in the 1st place

like i said if you trash your Mondeo you dont blame ADR the company that repaired it for you for the accident in the 1st place.

thats it me done.

merry xmas all.

chrisg

posted on 11/12/03 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think Woodster trusted SPD to fix it.

Cheers

Chris

suparuss

posted on 11/12/03 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think id trust them either, that shaft is absolutely appalling. i think the spline bit must bolt onto hte sprocket output on the engine before bolting the rest of the shaft on, or it would fly straight off, i have no words to describe whoever designed that and deemed it safe for the road, without landing myself in bother. someones obviously taken the A-team a bit too seriously and mixed that in with a "how to build so and so for so much" book, without the slightest bit of common sense or technical knowledge.

2 cents over,

Russ.

suparuss

posted on 11/12/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
ps- the splines arent actually that hard, just the outer part where the teath are is hardened, i machined one a bit ago while preparing to do something similar to waht spd have done (although i had bougt some 25mm solid round silver steel for the shaft and several large bearings mounted in cast iron flanges ready for the job) and it was really easy to machine.

Russ.

MikeR

posted on 12/12/03 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Jon, thanks for explaining your previous post, I read it at the time and didn't quite get the point (as it had been said the other company, not MK, was footing the bill).

Oh, and thanks for someone explaining what is going on (aledgedly - don't want to get sued either !) I was starting to form the impression that it was MK's work and was worrying about all the owners of BEC's he'd made. Glad to hear its not MK!

woodster

posted on 28/2/04 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
more prop pics
madforfishing

posted on 28/2/04 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Woodster, where ?

madforfishing

posted on 28/2/04 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Woodster, sorry...me being a thickie.
Looks messy.
Hope it all gets sorted.
Can't say too much of course.

dblissett

posted on 28/2/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
?

is this company or business now up for sale on ebay
mmmmmm

Staple balls

posted on 28/2/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

auction ended with no bidders iirc

[Edited on 28/2/04 by Staple balls]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.