Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sri engine and carlton box connection?
rich201283

posted on 28/1/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
sri engine and carlton box connection?

I have chance ov an 2.0ltr 8v sri engine and carlton gearbox for a £100.
do the carlton gearbox's connect to this engine without problems?

ned

posted on 28/1/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
the 1.8 (getrag) carlton box does fit the 20seh (130sri engine) yes, but the 2ltr and v6 carlton boxes don't.

The block is the same on the 1.8 carlton, 1.8 manta and 2ltr 16v astra engine (20xe)

Both the sumps, 7 type engine mounts and gearboxes are compatible.

Ned.

[Edited on 28/1/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david walker

posted on 28/1/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, I'm puzzled - the gearbox bolt pattern on both 1800 and 2 litre blocks are the same. I've bored a few 1800 blocks for use in XE applications where class limits require 2000cc max and customer wants a new bore to run on. (Also have to do the oil restrictor in the block but thats another matter)

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

ned

posted on 29/1/04 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
David,

to clarify i was referring to the 2ltr engine in the manta which is the cih engine and has the starter on the wrong side, the bolt pattern is different on this as I have a manta gte box sitting at home which I bought in error!

I thought (though please correct me if wrong) that the carlton used the 2ltr cih engine or the later ecotec. I'm not aware of any carltons ever being fitted with xe's. Perhaps I overlooked the 20seh/sri type engine?

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david walker

posted on 29/1/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
I believe the original post referred to the Carlton (86 to about 92) that used the SE type engine - Carltons during this period had the 1800SEH, 2.0SE as well as diesels and straight sixes. As such the gearbox will fit. The latest of the 1800 Mantas also used this engine as I'm sure you are aware. The CIH (2.0N) was used in the Mk1 Carltons of the early eighties.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

ned

posted on 30/1/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
David,

I wasn't aware that the 20se engine was fitted in carltons, only early astra gte's, sri's/cavalier sri's - my mistake. at least it means more donor gearboxes!

thanks,

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.