Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Unable to take your own advise :)
mark chandler

posted on 14/1/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Unable to take your own advise :)

After a few posts on making your own trailer using a caravan chassis I have now gone the wrong way and decided to scratch build from new parts.

My original budget of £500 is now long gone, now at £800 with all the bits but I suspect another £50 to go.

Steel £250
Brakes, hubs, wheels etc £550

Trouble is that I want something that just takes up the little cars footprint:

Trailer plans
Trailer plans

Now just a pile of steel to weld together:

Selection of steel
Selection of steel

Is this typical ?

The logic was simple, new parts, make it once and never lift a spanner just use it, Ebay was turning out rotten chassis for £50 - £100 and decent Alco chassis for £350 with big wheels.

JoelP

posted on 14/1/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i kept the price down by using unbraked hubs! Then you can use a £10 tow hitch, £80 per pair of hubs etc. I had about 200 in parts!
mark chandler

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I started off that way but ended up with 10" wheels with 1500kg tyres on braked hubs which drove the price right up.

Having towed without brakes before I personally had this as a must have aspect.

If I had wheels to sit outside the frame I could have saved £200.

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i kept the price down by using unbraked hubs! Then you can use a £10 tow hitch, £80 per pair of hubs etc. I had about 200 in parts!

but then you can only tow 750kg max (inc the weight of the trailer) and that assumes you've got a decent size car to tow it with
(small cars have small unbreaked towing limits)

Wadders

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Was that the one with the interesting camber design Joel

Al.

Hellfire

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I remember that well

Phil

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, would it not be best to have the A-frame legs extending to the indispension mounts?

ive never built a trailer but i thought this might make a more rigid frame...

will

tks

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
to much steel!

you use allot steel...

wy??

i would alter the design and use some U's
(folded sheet) it will increase drasticly the stifness of your design and reduce the weight.

it looks a bit like an fence.... this way.

You only need to create a > whist starts withs starts by the hook and goes to the axle. then it needs to go backwards. then in between at the end you can put 1 tube more to mount the lamps etc...

then with the 2 folded u's you weld them centre on the tube...

you then get a simple and strong design.

[Edited on 14/1/09 by tks]

JoelP

posted on 14/1/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
oi, we found out what caused that, the wheels were falling off! They were straight when it set off

I remember you driving past hellfire, you were lucky the wheel didnt get you!

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Was that the one with the interesting camber design Joel

Al.

JoelP

posted on 14/1/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
ive never felt the need to have a braked trailer, you just have to bear it in mind with your gaps and timing. I do appreciate a good stabiliser bar though!

I'd settle for a pair of 550kgs axles if i redid it, then you have redundancy in the design and still some roll if a tyre (or wheel!) goes.

Regarding the 750kgs limit, that was fine for me. A half stripped bec and pulling with a sprinter.

mark chandler

posted on 14/1/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The steel is folded 3mm steel U section to keep the weight down, although its still looking to be 100kg so I may bore some big holes to reduce weight.

I want the bed to pivot to ease loading as my BEC, this explains the draw bar although I will probally extend back further under the chassis when I see how much metal I have left. The sketch was to gauge materials required, i have a if it looks right it probally is right attitude so will build the bed then ponder on the hitch, this will also be governed by the hitch angles and how much flex I get when jumping up and down on it.

All things evolve as I make them, the trick is to move forward, I just wish this was always the case.

My wheels are rated @ 1500kg, axles 950kg although fully loaded I do not expect to tip the scales at more than 600kg.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 14/1/09 by mark chandler]

Canada EH!

posted on 14/1/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
If that sketch is to scale, you might want to move the axle a little further to the rear, you want at least 200 lbs of tounge weight. Almost lost my race Anglia on a borrowed trailer without enough tounge weight (trailer was built for a spridget). My current trailer weights 1000 lbs, was built in 1970, has about 20,000 miles on it. Regulations in Ontario Canada, Gross weight of over 3000 lbs requires brakes on the trailer.
mark chandler

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hello

Thanks, the plan is to make the bed, park the car on it then shove the wheels under then position.

I will probally weld some thick plate and pre drill so I can adjust to suit different loads if required.

In my experience the best solution is to have a long draw bar, compact trailers with short draw bars are awful, I have a large 4wheel trailer which has been all over the UK, never known to snake at any speed, its up for sale to fund this:

link

Regards Mark

Danozeman

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wish id have known your making one. My caravan converted trailer is going on the bay this week which i built to the size of my locost.

As for the design. Id make make the draw bar go furthur back and lose 2 or 3 of those cross pieces.. If you look at brian james or such like theres nothing too them..

[Edited on 14/1/09 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Brakes, hubs, wheels etc £550

Did you consider butchering a 3/4 T Sankey Trailer*? you get them for £ 150; it has axle and sick on leaf springs but with a bit of cutting, the wheels and braking mechanism could be modifed to work, perhaps?

* there are sevaral models, I am sure I have seen low ones.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.