Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto oil
JoelP

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
pinto oil

probably been covered before but a search didnt reveal too much. anyone know roughly what grade of mineral oil is ok to get a pinto started? i dont have an owners book and just want anything roughly right to get it running! thanks in advance.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
10/w40 is the favourite, 6.5 pints standard capacity Joel. If it's been stood a bit whizz it up with the coil lead off to get some pressure up first.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ray.h.

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
PINTO OIL

Haynes Sierra 82-85 all models says
SAE 10w/30 or
SAE 20w/50

Gearbox SAE 80 EP

DIF SAE 90 hypoid

TPG

posted on 1/2/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto oil pressure build up

Joel.You may not get the oil pressure light to go out at starting cranking speeds on a pinto.It will measure on a guage though.In the past I've know people flatten batterys on these engines waiting for lights to go out.......Or it could be sh1t rebuilding.....Bear it in mind.
JoelP

posted on 1/2/04 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
my initial plan was, crank without the plugs in so that it is less of a struggle for the battery, but it will be on jumps as well cos the battery probably isnt too healthy. Was also gonna put a few mls of oil into each cylinder before the cranking to get it round faster. there wont be any fuel at first cos the tank hasnt arrived, but eventually i will fill the float chamber and have some easy start to hand.

Any comments on these steps or suggestions on others?! ta for those already suggested!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

TPG

posted on 2/2/04 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Don't use the easy start.Ether based highly bangish based stuff.Only for use on dumper trucks & jcbs.If you struggle with firing once you are happy with the oil pressure,Put a small drop of petrol direct down the carb chokes.Then crank it over.Careful not to much though.Double check & double check again before taking any short cuts on"why won't it fire".Theres no point in ruining all your own work for trying to save a couple of evenings arseing about.Fire exstig' @ 15quid.Priceless.You will be amazed at what can catch fire.Hasn't happened to me but my brother(a fireman) has hours of related stories.
Be lucky.

[Edited on 2/2/04 by TPG]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.