Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 Fuel pump
pbs

posted on 23/2/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
V8 Fuel pump

For several years now I have been building a Rover V8 powered Locost and Iam now at the stage where I will need to source a fuel pump. The Rover pump may not be suitable so I thought about using a Facet Silver top pump but have since found out that these can be unreliable. Anybody have any suggestions on which pump I could use?

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

Julian B

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the carb set-up on your build?
Donners90

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
We use the Red Top Facet fuel pumps at work to feed the engines on the dynos. They run continuously and we have very little problem with these pumps.

I intend to use a facet pump for my V8, however I can't remember which type I have. Looking at your photo archive I see you're using what appears to be a Holley or Webber carb. These should need a pressure of around 4psi to 6psi to run effectively. If you were previously using an underpowered pump then this might account for poor performance. Just a thought!?

Anyway, in my opion the Facet pumps ARE very reliable and would be a good choice providing you match the correct pump to the pressure required to feed the carb.

Hope this helps

James

craig1410

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I can confirm that he is using a Holley 390 and the reason he is questioning the reliability of the Silver top is because I pointed out a posting by FastWestie a while back where he said that he had gone through 4 SilverTop's on his Westfield. Perhaps they don't like vibration as I'd guess on a dyno this wouldn't be so much of a problem?

In general, how do Facet pumps compare to the likes of Holley or Weber pumps? I'm also building a V8 Locost hence my interest...

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Come on you lot!
I've been telling this man how wonderful this forum is and that it's an invaluable source of useful (and useless) information on Locost building. Has nobody got any suggestions about suitable fuel pumps for a V8 then?

Anyone else care to comment on the Facet pumps or ideally would anyone care to recommend a cheaper alternative which is still capable of supplying a 160-200BHP V8?

Simon, if you are listening, what are you planning to use in your car?

Cheers,
Craig.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 24/2/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you can use the Facet interupter type pump found on most post '78 Range Rovers (carb ones!). These are basically Red Top pumps.

Or, you can go to somewhere like Real Steel, and get a non micky mouse pump designed to feed two 750 double pumpers on a big block Chevy from Carter for about sixty quid (although, they are greedy bu66ers, so try summit racing in the states if they ask for more. They're happy to ship to the UK).

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Julian B

posted on 24/2/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well ok then

what about this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2 461479468&category=10414

You have one day from noew to buy it

Cheers

craig1410

posted on 24/2/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Julian,
Nice try mate but that's an efi pump and we need a carb pump. I looked into whether an adjustable regulator could cope with the pressure difference but it doesn't look likely in most cases.
Thanks all the same,
Craig.

Julian B

posted on 25/2/04 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not just setup a return pipe back to the tank?
craig1410

posted on 25/2/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Julian,
I intend to do that anyway and I think Bruce (pbs) will probably do likewise (Bruce?) but almost all the advice I have found on the web says that an 40-60psi EFI pump with a 4-6psi regulator will not work very well as the pressure reduction is too great to be accomplished accurately.

Anyone tried this and care to correct this statement? I think the Holley needle valves will cope with up to about 8-9 psi at a push but best to stick to about 6psi I think.

Cheers,
Craig.

pbs

posted on 25/2/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is fitted with a Holley but is other wise standard. The engine may get modified in the future so I need a pump cope with any future mods. I fitted a return pipe in case it was needed as it would have been difficult to fit later, once the gearbox was in.

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

Simon

posted on 26/2/04 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Suppose I'd better say that I went for the cheapest Facet I could get that I reckon will do the job.

Facet Solid State 18 gallons per hour - rated to 200 bhp.

Europa part No 40106K - £44.90 + del/vat.

I've run engine on it (up to about 2000 rpm)

ATB

Simon

Terrapin_racing

posted on 26/2/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Give these guys a phone - you'll be sorted pronto!

Telephone
(+44) 1784 493555
FAX
(+44) 1784 493222
Postal address
Glencoe House, Drake Avenue, Gresham Road, Staines Middx, TW18 2AW, England
Electronic mail
General Information/sales: sales@fuelsystem.co.uk

also:
http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/Default.htm

[Edited on 26/2/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monopin

posted on 26/2/04 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have Just changed my SU fuel pump to a carter pump from DJE in Nuneaton, because of high rpm fuel starvation on my v8 westfield, it was obout £60 ish and does not requie a pressure regulator, the westfield runs a Weber 500, the locost will run a Holley 390 with the same pump.

www.djev8.com

G3OFF

posted on 26/2/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
i also had a few problems on my V8...
im using a holley 600 on a tvr v8 (same as rover) .. i used a high capacity pump of a sports bike (fireblade) as they can be picked up cheap and in conjunction with a fuel regulator from demon tweeks (£25)... the system runs great at about 4psi for the holley and you dont need a return pipe to the tank.... dead simple really.. and if you need a higher psi when the engines been moded.. you can just increase the regulator a notch... hope its some help...

no such thing as to much power......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.