Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto rocker cover breather
jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto rocker cover breather

Hi my rocker cover oil filler cap is blocked off do you think i should have one?
The only breather i have is on the side of the engine the one way valve has been removed
At the other side there is a blanking plug that goes straight in the sump i could fit a pipe from there to my catch tank
Thanks Jacko
Nice new catch tank
Nice new catch tank

[Edited on 17/5/09 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hi my rocker cover oil filler cap is blocked off do you think i should have one?
The only breather i have is on the side of the engine the one way valve has been removed
At the other side there is a blanking plug that goes straight in the sump i could fit a pipe from there to my catch tank
Thanks Jacko

yes mate,the more the better

jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpindy3
quote:
Thanks Jacko

Why ? what does it do to make it better

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
any high power motor need better breathing,i would have one on the cam cover,

jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jpindy3
quote:
Thanks Jacko

Why ? what does it do to make it better

i dont know,but when i got my vulcan pinto,steve said you might have to put a extra brether in the cam cover if i was to go for more power,my mate will know he builds stock cars,he did say somthing about it the other day,iv forgot what he said

jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
here we are
for more radical stages of tune,alternative ventilation will be needed.with higher combustion pressures,higher oil pressures high engine speeds,dimarnd an adequite ventilation

jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
are you going for more power??
omega0684

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
how do you put oil in if you have no filler ? do you take the cam cover off all the time?

ideally you want at least one breather in the cam cover but if you can get two thats even better, the more power the car has the more it has to breath.

jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
NO i just like to have things right were i can
jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
how do you put oil in if you have no filler ? do you take the cam cover off all the time?

ideally you want at least one breather in the cam cover but if you can get two thats even better, the more power the car has the more it has to breath.

Its got a filler just no breather
engine
engine

jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
jacko just drill a hole in the cam cover and put one of those filters in
goaty

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
does that cap not have a breather biult into the underside of it that always gases out just with no hose connection??
some have them fitted instead of a pipe coming off

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
you just want one of these

From here

LINK

This is a pic of mine

hope that helps you!

omega0684

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
the standard pinto filler cap has two breather holes in it!
flak monkey

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that cap is breathable anyway so dont worry!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MkIndy7

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Jacko as far as I know your about one of the only people that doesn't have breather problems, and your cars hardly short of power.

We had the cheep yellow type of breather cap pictured above and when we had a bit of a breather issue it blew the top off it and oil allover as its only pressed together!.

I hope ours is cured now, it seems you have to get the header bottle up very high and route all the pipes as high as possible, we've even got a vent pipe out of the bottle that goes up and over as high as possible as it was spewing fumes out under the bonnet but never actually any oil. Atleast now all i've seen in the breather bottle is a little water

jpindy3

posted on 17/5/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
drill a hole in the top of it,
i got the same cap as you jacko,
its fine

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
ah i didnt know the other cap has holes in, i thought it was just a blank cap! mine came with an old burton one like the one that is fitted now but it was leaking so got a new one and all was sorted. How big are the holes in the other cap? if you want the engine to breath as much as possible, surely the pipe holes are bigger the better? Just a thought

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

Its got a filler just no breather
engine
engine

I think i am getting confused about what we are talking about - it says here that his has no breather? So would he not require one like i have posted above as an easier solution to drilling the cam cover??

[Edited on 17/5/09 by iscmatt]

flak monkey

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, as those standard pinto rocker cover caps are vented. If you look underneath them they are filled with corse wire wool and have holes around the flange.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Nope, as those standard pinto rocker cover caps are vented. If you look underneath them they are filled with corse wire wool and have holes around the flange.

David

Ah i see!!! thanks flak monkey for clearing that up, learn something new every day Cheers

jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you are all right the cap i have does come venter but i have blocker mine i read on a web site to do this years ago when i raced pintos
what i am asking is on the o/s of the engine there is a plug if you remove this it goes in the sump can i fit a breather on there insted of one in the cam cover
The burton top is to deep and hits my bonnet or that is what i would use

If i drill a hole at the end of the cover and fit a pipe from there to a catch tank would that be ok or will oil come out ?
Jacko

jacko

posted on 17/5/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
bump
MkIndy7

posted on 17/5/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
The hole in the block back to the sump is for the oil return from the turbo on the cossie engine.

I would have thought the top end breathing is a different matter to the engine breathing which is taken care of by the block breather.

[Edited on 17/5/09 by MkIndy7]

jacko

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the head under the cam cover there is a oil return hole that goes down though the block to the sump so the breathing / pressure must be the same
sump and cam cover ? yes or no if so why cant i just relieve the pressure from the sump
Jacko

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.