Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE cooling system
MikeP

posted on 2/3/04 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE cooling system

I'm building a locost with a 4AGE, and I'm getting sick of the heater pipes hanging up on the chassis as it comes in and out.

I'm thinking blanking plates over the rear outlet, throttle body (I'm using the stock EFI) and pump inlet. Basically get rid of everything outside the engine in this picture http://www.billzilla.org/4agwater.gif except the pump and the radiator connections.

Do I need a bleed/bypass into the pump like the throttle body heater provides, or can I get away with getting rid of it all? Has anyone tried it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kelvin

posted on 3/3/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

Not sure of a solution for your problem, but one word of advice, and this goes to all 4AGE builders, use genuine Toyota 4Life coolant. This is an absolute must if you want to avoid costly rebuilds.

If you're looking at a donor, check the coolant and if it's not red, walk away.

Cheers

Kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 4/3/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've never heard this before. It was so long ago that I stripped my donor, I have no idea what was in there.

Is this a normal warning to use a coolant that's compatible with an alloy head, or something more sinister? What happens if we don't, and what's special about the Toyota coolant?

Kelvin

posted on 4/3/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi MIke,

The Toyota coolant was specially developed for the 4-AGE. I can only comment on that engine.

Certainly in MR2 circles, it's a case of no 4Life, no buy, as it can lead to expensive overheating problems. It's also quite critical to get all the air out of the system when you fill and bleed it.

kelvin

DEAN C.

posted on 6/3/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure your'e wrong about 4life being developed for 4age's,this is excellent coolant but very expensive.
I've found this coolant in all sorts of Toyota engines and other manufacturers use similar non diluted fluids as well.
IMHO as long as regular sevicing has been carried out including changing any diluted type coolant every 2 years in an alloy head/block type engine you should be fine........
Problems arise when coolants are not changed on a regular basis, this then builds up acids and eats into alloys.
Loads of manufacturers use diluted coolants and if you read the service manuals they all say change the fluids completely on 2 yearly or major services.
By the way I'm using a 4age!!!!!!!

DEAN........

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Kelvin

posted on 6/3/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, could be wrong, but I wouldn't risk anything else in my engine.

I've seen too many MR2's that have been run without 4Life.. They'd be the ones for sale very cheap that say 'needs new engine' in the advert!

Kelvin

DEAN C.

posted on 6/3/04 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'll fill up with 4 life too, but I think i'll run my engine a few times with antifreeze mix in first just in case of any problems,ie. engine leaks,pipe leaks or if the water pump doesn't like sitting dry for a couple of years as often happens.........
4 life is worth the money but I'll make sure everything else is fine first...

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.