Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a radiator
blakep82

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
fitting a radiator

who's got some photos of how they've mounted their radiators, how they've done the brackets etc.

i'm kind of struggling to work out the best way to do mine. my chassis has a U channel along the front for the radiator to sit in, and it screws in a the top (as far as i can tell)

SHP (the chassis manufacturer) have recommended a ford transit radiator as opposed to their own custom ones which cost over £300. its a mk4 one as used in the national hot rods. its a bit wider than the U channel, and shorter than the top brackets.

ok, completely different to other cars on here, but i'm interested in how you've done your brackets

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
i just bent some 3mm flat bar to match the mounts. Really depends on what attachments your rad takes. ISTR i used self tappers into the plastic holes

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MautoK

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a bit lightweight for your purposes, but mine is like this:

Rad offside
Rad offside

Aluminium alloy brackets secured to front of chassis with rivnuts. It's a Polo rad.
More pics in my archive under 'New Radiator'
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

bimbleuk

posted on 30/5/09 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Very simple mountings on mine but the nose cone also helps to locate the rad as its a very close fit.

Revised Radiator location
Revised Radiator location

jollygreengiant

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
from top/back
Rad mounting plate from back/top
Rad mounting plate from back/top

from back/bottom
Rad mounting plate from bacl/bottom
Rad mounting plate from bacl/bottom

on car
Rad & mounting plate on car
Rad & mounting plate on car

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 30/5/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys! whats interesting is they all seem to be mounted fairly solidly, and (this is not a critism) on what looks fairly thin and flexible aluminium. makes the idea i had look heavy and over complicated

definitely gives me some ideas though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.