Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil In Petrol
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/11/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Oil In Petrol

Well my brother Audi woes are still going on with his A3 and Audi are saying they can't find nor feel any problems with his car but he is insistant that there's still the odd hesitation/cough.
Anyway looking back through the service records there's actually some 'non everyday' stuff on there. Faulty knock sensor replaced, car was idling rough for example but I did notice that they found oil in the petrol tank but left it as it was in the end. I'm going to change the fuel filter and put some injector cleaner down as there's no records of the filter being changed but has anyone any idea how oil could have got into the petrol?

Ninehigh

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If it's in the tank surely it's gone through the filler?

Someone's filled it with a can that's had oil in it?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
unless some previous owner has thought - ill put some fuel additive or similar thro the system to clean it - bought the wrong stuff?

take the tank off and clean it out

then put some fuel system cleaner through it

scootz

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
How did they diagnose it... did they empty the tank and test the fuel? No one's accidently put some diesel in there have they???

Also, is it an FSi engine? If so, then the coils are notorious for packing in and they do stutter before the spectacular fail!

It's Evolution Baby!

tonym

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I would think the only way for oil to get into the petrol would be for someone to put it into the tank. Depending on how much it would do no harm other than may be oil up the plugs and after a few tankfulls would be diluted anyway.
I run a Mazda RX7 as a trackday car and use 2 stroke mix to lubricate the rotors instead of the total loss standard system with no harmful effects. Too much would lower the octane rating of the petrol and maybe cause detonation.

martinq357

posted on 22/11/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Also, is it an FSi engine? If so, then the coils are notorious for packing in and they do stutter before the spectacular fail!

Colleague of mine has just been through a saga with his FSi engined Golf. had similar sounding hesitation, they (VW) first changed the fuel pressure sensor & regulator, coil packs & only then, after the fault persisted & the diags still said it had a fuel pressure fault, reluctantly replaced the fuel pump. It's been OK for some time now.

HTH

Martin

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
It seems I read it wrong and Audi only tested for oil in the fuel but it seems they didn't find any. Dunno how they did the test or why they would do it but the fact that it was mentioned made me think I'd change the fuel filter. Looking at it, it seems it's never been touched at all as the screw on the bracket holding it is rusted to hell and would need drilling but I don't want to give the game away and invalidate the warranty, so I've filled the tank and banged some injector cleaner in and so far today it's been fine.
As for the engine. Yes it's an FSI and yes a coil went last week and they've now been replaced. Bloody German quality my arse

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.