Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounts again
flak monkey

posted on 7/2/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Mounts again

Following on from this:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=128747

I am still in 2 minds as to what to do with the engine mounts and whether or not to beef them up now, or see how it goes and if one breaks fix it.

My gut feel is that the chassis end of the mount is around 12" from the crank centre line and expecting around 220lbft of torque means the most load each mount will see is 100kg + what the engine weighs, so around 150kg per mount. Tension one side and compression the other.

However if I was to strengthen them up then I would be thinking of something along the lines of this:

So...what would you do?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

prawnabie

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Beef them up, you can forget about them then!
speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

X2

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

ReMan

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure your weight calculation is probably correct but , just to look at wonders me if they will stand up to the twisting/movement as well?
dlatch

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
make stupidly strong then forget

last thing you want is the engine mount failing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a lot less work to beef them up now than to wait until one fails and sort it, and any other damage, out then
l0rd

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

X2

X3

mookaloid

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
On the sound engineering principle that if it looks wrong then it probably is wrong - I would certainly beef those up - they just look wrong somehow

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

flak monkey

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
So on that basis, what are the thoughts on my beefing up proposal?

Any other ideas?

Sera

omega 24 v6

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just do it as per your pictures. A man of your knowledge/experience/skill know sit makes sense or else you would not have needed to ask.
Been there on several occasions myself. It's just that you don't want to damage the paintwork etc and your hoping that someone will tell you it'll be fine.
YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO bite the bullet and do it

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Humbug

posted on 7/2/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are worrying about it now, better to do it and stop worrying
flak monkey

posted on 7/2/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like I will be speding a day doing some more welding/fabrication next weekend then!

I'll cut the existing tube through perpendicular to the plate on the engine as well so there is a proper joint between the tubes.

Now I just need a couple of offcuts of 2mm steel plate to weld to the chassis. Sure I can raid some from somewhere....

Sera

miikae

posted on 7/2/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me doing it i would move the rubber mounts so that they were square with the enginge mountings then use a single piece of an appropriate sized channel cut and then welded to the mounting plates, that way the bottom bolt could be easily acessed and would give you a we bit more space.
This way any load would be placed square on the mounts,
Just my thoughts if it helps.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/2/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
As i said last night, triangulation is your friend....

Beef it up and forget about it, dont want it breaking and causing damage or an accident !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 7/2/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis tube is much more likely to fail ----- see mods below stiffners can be bolt on. Rescued attachment 212.jpg
Rescued attachment 212.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 7/2/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I follow what you mean BT with regards the bolt on stiffeners.

It looks like it will be easy enough to add another plate to the chassis to add in some triangulation to the mounts anyway.

Sera

jacko

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote

Can you do it like in your first photo but have the second mount rubber at 45% it would stop the engine moving side ways a bit like this
engine mounting
engine mounting

[Edited on 7/2/10 by jacko]

MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

My gut feel is that the chassis end of the mount is around 12" from the crank centre line and expecting around 220lbft of torque means the most load each mount will see is 100kg + what the engine weighs, so around 150kg per mount. Tension one side and compression the other.

The side in tension will obviously be under much less stress since the torque reaction will be removing the engine weight from that side, and transferring it to the other side.

Providing your welds have good penetration I reckon those mounts will be ok, you've used decently thick plates bolted to the engine which is the failure point for most mounts I have seen due to use of flimsy 3mm plate etc.

It's hard to see the overall scale from that pic, but a triangular fillet on the top and bottom of the tube to the plate would help strengthen things if there is enough room.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 7/2/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

The side in tension will obviously be under much less stress since the torque reaction will be removing the engine weight from that side, and transferring it to the other side....

Both sides are subject to tension and compression forces as the car accelerates, and then goes on overrun....
Maybe not a lot of overruns, but a point to watch...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

sebastiaan

posted on 7/2/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miikae
If it was me doing it i would move the rubber mounts so that they were square with the enginge mountings then use a single piece of an appropriate sized channel cut and then welded to the mounting plates, that way the bottom bolt could be easily acessed and would give you a we bit more space.

Mike

This indeed would be, I believe, the best and certainly neatest solution.

flak monkey

posted on 7/2/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
The penetration of the welds is good, there may be some room to add triangluation to the mount as it is.

I could just make the mounts straight, do we think that if they were just straight and placed the load directly along the mounts that they would be strong enough? Would need to cut the existing plate off the chassis and remake both mounts for the best result. That said the plate is only held on with 4 short welds along the top I think...

I would probably still use the 1.5" tube for the mount though? I dont much like the caterham style mounts which sit at 90 deg to the engine and therefore put massive amounts of stress through the welds....

Sera

hicost blade

posted on 7/2/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
quote:
Originally posted by miikae

Mike

This indeed would be, I believe, the best and certainly neatest solution.

Agreed

indykid

posted on 7/2/10 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
presumably the mounts have to react the gearbox output torque with the primary reduction of the gearbox rather than purely crank torque. what's the ratio of first gear?

a hard launch in first would probably light the tyres up limiting the torque, but you're not just dealing with the crank torque.

i'd be happy to chance the mounts as they are, but belt and braces never hurt anyone.

what about bracing the back of the head onto the bulkhead? you've got doubleish the lever arm between your current mounts and the crank then.
tom

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
So this is what I have ended up with.

What do we think now? Certainly feel more substantial...

Finished engine mounts 1
Finished engine mounts 1

Finished engine mounts 3
Finished engine mounts 3

Finished engine mounts 4
Finished engine mounts 4

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.