Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Super OT - Any one know double glazing?
Dangle_kt

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Super OT - Any one know double glazing?

Our double glazing windows are about 5 or 10 years old (they were in when we moved in) but one by one the locks are failing so we cant open them.

What seems to happen is there is two "pins" which are on the window which are pulled into metal "holders" which sit within the frame. The pins move when the handle is turned, and I assume some sort of cam turns the rotational movement into horizontal movement, therefore sliding the pins out of the metal "holders"

I have taken the locks of from the inside and the handle moves freely enough, and the cam still operates the left hand pin, but the right hand pin stays stuck in, which means we cant open the dam windows. Wasn't a problem till now, as we are getting damp on the walls in the rooms due to no fresh air.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this that doesn't involve a saleman and a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE offer?

I am guessing drilling through the frame into the holder, and then on into the pin so it falls off is the only way? But not sure if steel is toughened etc. also happy to consider other ideas.

Can get pictures if it would help explain.

Thanks

mookaloid

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't really help you but we use a guy who advertises double glazing/UPVC window repairs and he does all the handles and hinges etc. May be ring a few double glazing suppliers in your area to see if they know anyone who does repairs to the older stuff?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It wouls appear that the espagnollete has failed, sometimes the cam gear where the handle fits into can fall appartresulting in partial operation. If you can remove one from one of the other windows at least you will be able to find the manafacturer of the gear. It may be worth calling a window doctor out he may be able to get the window open and fit an alternative locking mechanism. I had a problem with my door lock the company who supplied it had gone bust and the locking mechanism was discontinued I found another lock with a similar rebate and modified the door and frame to suit. Luckily for me I have around 15 years of working with PVCU windows. Your just a littel to far away for me to pop over to look

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

hector

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes you can remove the glazing beads and remove glass and then using a chisel gently prise the opener so that the mushroom (pin) clears the keep and then window will open and then you can then remove the espaglonette (mechanism) then take it to your local hardware/window supplier and they should be able to match you up a new spag, expect to pay about £15-£30 for one depending on size

cheers

MikeR

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
As we appear to have answered this question - i'm starting to seriously think about getting double glazing.

What should i look for when getting all the lovely sales people round? What makes a good window? How do i spot a rip off and is there a simple way of knowing what i should be paying (like cost of window from x with fitting 20% on top of something).

paulf

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Tell them from the start that your shopping around and want there best price, then when they start offering special discounts if you sign up there and then tell them to get lost.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
As we appear to have answered this question - i'm starting to seriously think about getting double glazing.

What should i look for when getting all the lovely sales people round? What makes a good window? How do i spot a rip off and is there a simple way of knowing what i should be paying (like cost of window from x with fitting 20% on top of something).

NigeEss

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try Gemsec. They located an endcap for a 10 year old patio door for me
from a photo I sent !

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
awww CHEERS guys!
blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
haven't read all the replies, but our windows are about 10 years old, one of them got water in it, and rusted all the insides away we were having bathrooms done, and the joiner used to work for the company that put the windows in, he replaced the insides.

its just basically several metal bars inside. they rust and break.

worrying the window is removed from outside... take the bead out, and the glass comes out. easy to break into

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Don't start a inside bead/outside bead debate!!!
If you have external beads, the security tape will hold the glazed panel in and you can't get them out with the beads removed, without a lot of effort. If you have internal beads, then they can come out if you give the glazed unit a good kick from the outside.........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeLR

posted on 2/3/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Dont know if you live on the Welsh side of Merseyside ! we have used them a number of times for various things. They are a very long established family firm with no hard sell only honest information. Might be worth giving them a ring.

John R Boyle (Wrexham) LtdGlass Suppliers. Tel: 01978 266319| Unit 2, Pandy Industrial Estate, Plas Acton Road, Wrexham, LL11 2

Regards
Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.