Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto woes
Hugh_

posted on 20/5/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto woes

I thought I was nearly there, it was running albeit not fantastically which I put down to my first "well its about right" attempt at the timing.

It is booked into Gerald Dale to setup and MoT it on Tuesday next week, and all I thought I had left to do was fit the new alternator and remove the thermostat (both done this evening), and get the timing spot on and balance the carbs.

Anyway, having done the alternator and 'stat I moved onto the timing. I turned it by hand so all the pistons were mid-stroke, removed the cam belt and was in the process of turning no.1 inlet fullly open when I noticed a gap between the cam and follower on no.1

camgap
camgap

I'm pretty sure there hasnt been any interference (I've always turned it over by hand after setting the timing and never met any resistence beyond what you'd expect from compression), there arent any marks on the piston.

I've just about had enough of it now and am very tempted to take it to Gerald on Tuesday and just say sort it. But before I do was wondering if there is anything obvious that I am missing/might be causing the valve to stick?

Cheers,
A rather despondent Hugh

Hugh_

posted on 20/5/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised I'm being ridiculously blonde and I havent done the valve clearences, slightly happier now

RichardK

posted on 20/5/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Pintos are valve safe anyway unless its been heavily skimmed etc.

So don't worry mate...

Take care, you're nearly there!!

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh_

posted on 20/5/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply.

The standard 2.0l is a safe engine, but the 1.6 isnt.

Mine is a 2.1, skimmed head, Kent GP1 cam which has an extra 2.6mm of valve lift, so mine isnt safe...

RichardK

posted on 20/5/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, go careful then ! Interesting, I'm running 1.6 and thought it was safe too..

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 21/5/10 at 03:28 AM Reply With Quote
rich if yours is a standard 1.6 head then it should be safe

im running a 2.1 with 50 thou of the head and inlet lift of 12mm and i have no valve to piston issues at all.

as for the original post looks like the valve clearences need sorting before you start getting involved in anything else, lol

[Edited on 21/5/10 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

Hugh_

posted on 21/5/10 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I must have been having a ridiculously stupid moment, I just completely forgot that the valve clearerances were adjustable...

mcerd1

posted on 21/5/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
rich if yours is a standard 1.6 head then it should be safe

im running a 2.1 with 50 thou of the head and inlet lift of 12mm and i have no valve to piston issues at all.

alex, he means if the bet snaps

if your timming belt snapped you'd have a good chance of some valve-piston contact
and mine will be even worse I think

a std. 2.0 head & block leaves so much clearnce that it'll be still be safe - but a 1.6 head has smaller chambers etc. so its not safe

vauxhall 1.6 8v's (astra's etc) and a few others are also safe if the belt snaps...

-

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/5/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
If the belt snaps on a standard 1.6, you loose 3 valves, the 1.6 ecomax (a 2.0 with really narrow pistons) and the 2.0 are fine

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.