Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 Rocker wear and tear
Irony

posted on 11/6/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
V8 Rocker wear and tear

I have been stripping my V8 heads down over the last few days and tonight I took the rocker shafts apart to clean them. I found the shaft in this condition
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I bought these heads of a fellow Locostbuilder and he said he'd stripped the head down, cleaned and lapped the valves in. This is the first set of heads I have stripped down but I am quite sure this sort of wear is not good. What do you think?

marcjagman

posted on 11/6/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Definately not good. If the shaft is worn that badly chances are the rockers are just as bad too. Bin the lot and buy some new(er) ones.
r1_pete

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep those shafts are errrr shafted...

How do the rockers feel on the non worn bits, its odd but the alloy rockers often don't wear, the steel shaft does, if they feel right on the non worn bits new shafts will sort things for you, which if I remember back to my MGB V8 rebuild days weren't very expensive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 11/6/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Typical RV8 I am afraid.

Still they have probally got 150k miles under them so not so bad really.

Replacements are not that cheap either.

If the rockers feel tight on the good parts of the shaft then just replace the shaft, the cars work on volumn of oil so although a little loose at the top you will drop a little oil pressure but power will not suffer.

The pads that push the valves will also be worn, regrind and polish this, make sure they are all even, just flatten back (keeping the curve) until the worn part stops showing, make sure they are all even.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 12/6/10 by mark chandler]

Paul (Notts)

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you can feel groves on the shaft replace it...

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/RANGE_ROVER_1986-1994/Engine_Parts/Rocker_shaft_-_3.5_V8_

examine the other parts and use what you can or replace...

http://www.paddockspares.com/search.asp

I binned two reasonably good shafts last month that you could have had..

Have lots of valves and lapping tool + past and valve removing tool that you could lend at Newark if you need it.

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.