Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self centering
Motty

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Self centering

Having read these pages I am rather confused about which way to toe the car to make it self centre as there does seem to be a difference of oppinion. Could somebody confirm if it is best to toe it in or out and by how many degrees approx.
SVA booked for the 2nd June by the way.

zetec

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Toe out as much as poss. Makes the car crap to drive but you can always change after the test. Still not sure why this is such an ongoing problem, sure someone out there knows why kit companies do'nt just dial in some more caster.
Peteff

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's more to do with the weight of the car than anything. Why don't production cars need as much castor and stupid geometry to get the effect? Weight is the only difference I can see.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
when mine is up and running, i intend to do many test to see what works well. I will firstly try low pressure tyres and maximum trail (offset mushroom), plus the unchangable (on mine) 25mm of castor. If this is inadequate i will try increasing toe out.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Motty
Having read these pages I am rather confused about which way to toe the car to make it self centre as there does seem to be a difference of oppinion. Could somebody confirm if it is best to toe it in or out and by how many degrees approx.
SVA booked for the 2nd June by the way.

Motty,

toe out as much as possible for SVA to ensure self-centring. Toe in will have no effect. When ours was tested, the inspector jumped into the car and put it on full lock whilst driving slow, then let go of wheel to test if it self-centred.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.