Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acoustafil Silencer Packing
edspurrier

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Acoustafil Silencer Packing

Anyone tried this stuff please?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTAFIL-PTX-SILENCER-PACKING-400mm-Wide-x-1-Metre-/260611170902?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_1400wt_911

I'm fed up with repacking my silencer
Ed

rgrs

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used that to repack mine for sva noise limits, easy to work with and good sound damping qualities.

It did not blow out unlike the glass strands i had before.

Don't overpack it though as it expands when it gets hot.

It took 3 hot runs for it to fully expand.

Roger

perksy

posted on 18/8/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Theres 2 versions of this packing
The One type expands and One type is a more conventional 'Mat' type that is supplied to a calculated size

Have the Competition type in mine which is the 'Mat' Type that fits snuggly inside the silencer
Supplied them with details of the size of my can and they cut it all to suit

Used a company called Savaguard and think it cost about 55 quid all in

So far so good, it seems to do the trick and you don't have to use Stainless steel wire wool wrapped around the perforated tube either, So you are saving the cost of buying that..

edspurrier

posted on 18/8/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I've ordered some
Ed

bi22le

posted on 18/8/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I got some from the bay.

It has done the same job as the well packed GF and wire wool but I know it will last now.

Mine only cost about 15 quid IIRC

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

martinq357

posted on 18/8/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've used this to pack my heavily moded R1 Can, seems to work really well with good sound deadening qualities.

HTH

Martin.

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/8/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm... my can needs quieting down a bit...might have to give this a whirl.

Certainly cheaper than a bigger end can, which I was considering...

RazMan

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant stuff - you only have to install it once too! It gives a really deep and mellow tone and is the best there is IMO.

[Edited on 18-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GregSL75

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
For those who have used the 'expanding' stuff, how full was the can when packed?

I put the dimensions into their calculator and bought the corresponding amount, but even tightly wound round the centre tube it wouldn't fit the can so i've used less, just a snug fit inside. I am worried it'll try and expand and become too dense.

Haven't run it yet as the engine is in bits...

Mabe the supplied the non - expanding stuff by mistake? I tried giving it a warm with the blowtorch and it didn't seem to expand at all, even with a direct flame.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

RazMan

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the two types are both 'expanding' and just rated for different temperatures. The yarn melts when it meets working temp and the weave breaks down and expands into the can.

You don't need to tightly pack it in so I am a little suprised that you had trouble with that.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GregSL75

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Would have had to wind it on tightly and compress it to get the full length in (2m) as it is, it's a snug slide in fit (~1.4 - 1.5m?), but got the impression it should be a very loose fit until heated?

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

RazMan

posted on 19/8/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I would say it's probably fine. It might sound quite loud at first, needing a few long high speed runs to really get it up to temperature, but as the yarn breaks down and lets the fabric do its stuff it will get quieter. I am really pleased with mine

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.