Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: intercoolers
beaver34

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
intercoolers

hi,

people using f/i any pics of you intercooler setups? see if it helps me as space isnt the biggest in my car

thanks

MakeEverything

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not yet, but i will have soon though my car is a bit different to yours.

The renault 5 / Renault 21 intercoolers are compact little units.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

beaver34

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Not yet, but i will have soon though my car is a bit different to yours.

The renault 5 / Renault 21 intercoolers are compact little units.

carnt quite fit a r5 in the nose due to the big alloy rad just measured, think im going for a m2r that will sit behind the rad they seem quite good and compact and cheap on eBay £56 inc vat new

thanks alot though

StrikerChris

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Landrover tdi on mine,just chopped the inlet and outlet abit and rewarded them.about the widest I found that'd fit under the nosecone.can't say I looked too far,changed it for a mate on his landy about the same time I was plumbing mine up and thought hmm,that just might do,bigger than the 200sx one and Ali not steel.!plenty about tho in the Landrover world,its a common upgrade so 2nd hand go for penny.hope it helps,as for pics can't help til I'm on a computer.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Landrover tdi on mine,just chopped the inlet and outlet abit and rewarded them.about the widest I found that'd fit under the nosecone.can't say I looked too far,changed it for a mate on his landy about the same time I was plumbing mine up and thought hmm,that just might do,bigger than the 200sx one and Ali not steel.!plenty about tho in the Landrover world,its a common upgrade so 2nd hand go for penny.hope it helps,as for pics can't help til I'm on a computer.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 14/9/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
biggest , best you can fit in there , mines 500mm x 450mm .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

bimbleuk

posted on 15/9/10 at 02:54 AM Reply With Quote
MR2 turbo intercooler mounted on a Polo rad.

Intercooler mounted
Intercooler mounted

BenB

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
That MR2 is a nice unit by the looks of it. Too many OEM intercoolers are wider than they are high which isn't exactly good for pressure loss... (though it is cheaper).
pekwah1

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
if it helps anyone, i've got an mr2 intercooler sat in my garage...
mark chandler

posted on 15/9/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rs turbo, added some side plates as recommended by Corky Bell.

intercooler
intercooler

hicost blade

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would look into charge coolers....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/smart-roadster-brabus-turbo-intercooler-/110585009748?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bf615654

bimbleuk

posted on 16/9/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
As good as charge coolers can be the MR2 intercooler is cheap and light and I was running 270BHP and 1 bar boost through it.

I did add cowling as can be seen below which obviously helps. I also added cowling to the intecooler to trap air in front of it. Air flow out of the engine bay is just as important to reduce pressure behind the rad.

I saw a comparison of OEM intercoolers which included the style I used (Toyota used them etensively) and they work OK but not as good as properly shaped end tanks. Good enough for the money though.

Radiator cowling
Radiator cowling

coyoteboy

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wholeheartedly agree that the MR2 intercooler is actually very good (or an ST185 celica gt4 one if you want entry and exit on different ends) . And in accordance with the post above, one of the biggest differences you can make to an intercooler is a cowling around its intake end. If you can trap the incoming air and force it to go through the IC it can work multiple times more efficiently than if it has open sides. I see a lot of barried up cars with FMICs 5ft wide across the front with no cowling or ducting of any sort and think "you might as well have halved the size, cost and thought about it properly" but I guess looks is part of it for them.
beaver34

posted on 20/9/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
any more out there?

what about custom made coolers would they make much difference over a mr2 item above?

bimbleuk

posted on 21/9/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
any more out there?

what about custom made coolers would they make much difference over a mr2 item above?

They were fitted to cars with 200 - 230 BHP so they are fine for that sort of power. I was up to 270 on mine but that was only peak power so not held for very long. If you want something to get the engine running then it's a good start.

When you've worked out the teething issues then by all means get one custom made to fit the space available. You will will gain efficiency and some more flow with shaped end tanks etc.

IMHO of course

beaver34

posted on 21/9/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
any more out there?

They were fitted to cars with 200 - 230 BHP so they are fine for that sort of power. I was up to 270 on mine but that was only peak power so not held for very long. If you want something to get the engine running then it's a good start.

When you've worked out the teething issues then by all means get one custom made to fit the space available. You will will gain efficiency and some more flow with shaped end tanks etc.

IMHO of course

thank you,

what i didnt want was to have to do the job twice if that makes sense the engine is no way a cheap build so if it means and extra £200 and it means it will be righ first time its got to be worth it IMO

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.