Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling Pipes
Daddylonglegs

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling Pipes

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I really want to get a crack on and at least get the engine running so I can give myself the incentive for the final push towards completing the car.

The problem is, I have a Pinto fitted and the radiator is non-Pinto, I think it was from a Polo or similar. I have been trying to figure out the best way to connect the radiator to the water pump and thermostat housings. I have managed to find some hoses at shows and the one shown below is hopefully OK.

Top Hose
Top Hose

My question is, does anyone think that the kink in the top hose will cause a major issue? I did think of wrapping the hose with a largish spring to prevent the kinking (a bit like an external version of the ones used for bending copper tubing).

Also, what will be the best way to connect the bottom hose? The ringed hoses in the picture below are the ends that need connecting.

Bottom Hose 3
Bottom Hose 3

The ID of the hoses are approx:

From water pump - 32mm
Radiator bottom hose - 21mm

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers.
John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

RichardK

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some hoses that I just pulled out from my pinto, you want to have a look through my gallery to see which ones you want?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 28/10/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich,

Can u put up a link? I found some hoses but they seem like lengths of new stuff. You've got a lot of piccies to trawl through and my internet ain't the quickest

RichardK

posted on 28/10/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've got all the hoses that cooled my pinto really well, I will have to check to see which hoses I'll need to keep for my zetec (if any) maybe we can work something out? Theres a new blue 90 degree reducing bend at the bottom that you cant see feeding the lower rad.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/10/10 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rich.

The one at the top will be no use because my radiator exits on the offside, but the lower one may be OK (from the water pump to the lower radiator connection) as long as the connection to the radiator is the same.

Also, what is your view on the slight kink in the top hose in my pictures?

JB

pewe

posted on 29/10/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
See Merlins selection of Samco hoses - all ex-stock.
Not partic. locost but if needs must....Merlin Motorsport
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

BenB

posted on 29/10/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about the kink, the water pressure will soon open it out again!

As for the bend I'd chop the one on the right back to where it's "straight" and either use a simple (and easily available) bit of silicon hose and some joiners or (if the I/D of the hose was suitable) make up a piece of bent copper pipe to the right angle / shape.

blakep82

posted on 29/10/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
See Merlins selection of Samco hoses - all ex-stock.
Not partic. locost but if needs must....Merlin Motorsport
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

look for venair hoses on ebay. good quality, and cheaper than samco

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.