Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CVH engine
Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
CVH engine

I have filled my 1.6 cvh engine with oil, and wanted to spin it over on the starter to circulate the oil as it has been about 8 months since I drained it down.

In total I reckon I have spun the engine over for about 5 minutes altogether. I still dont have any oil in the filter even though the sump is full to the max mark.

Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong, or is my best bet to wait until I fire it up properly?

Thanks

Dave

mookaloid

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
it could be a lot of things but you are doing the right thing not starting it until you have oil through out the system.

Have you had the engine apart?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

martinq357

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Priming problem?? Is it worth filling the filter with oil first??
Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing I have done is take the sump off to shorten it along with the pickup pipe. Shortened both by about 25mm. I remember putting a steel rule on the pickup pipe and measuring to ensure it was square to the bottom of the engine block. I also measured the sump depth. I think I remember having 3-5mm clearance under the pickup pipe.

Filter screws on sideways so any oil you put in it is likely to end up on the floor when you try to fit it.

[Edited on 16/11/10 by Davedew]

rusty nuts

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the oil has drained down from the oil pump , you may be able prime the pump filling the oilways at the oil filter or crank it with the filter removed. As a last resort remove the pump and fill it with vasaline . With the oil drained from the pump the vanes are not sealing
Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Which of the ports to the filter should I pour the oil down, middle port which filter screws on to, or the hole in the outer area of the filter?

martinq357

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
You might loose some on the garage floor but if you're quick most of it will stay in.

Just like doing a normal oil change, filling the filter stops the bearings running dry during the initial startup while the filter fills.

Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
If I use a funnel will pouring it in at the filter port be enough, or will I need to inject it using a syringe? Wondering if gravity might pull the oil back throught the pump. I can drain any overfill out afterwards.

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
and worth taking the plugs out so the engine will spin up easier.

Now, happy to be wrong as working from memory and no diagrams within easy reach, but the oil would be supplied from the pump to the outside of the filter? Worth squirting some oil down there, leave for a bit and then spin it up again.

EDIT. I would just use a squirty oil can. It may be possible to access the oil relief valve and squirt oil in there?? I know you can with some engines (like my old triumph lumps)

[Edited on 16/11/10 by cliftyhanger]

Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Plugs are out as you suggest. Middle port and pressure switch a straight line. I put some oil in the middle port and it came out the pressure switch. Might try filling filter and put it on over night to see if it runs back to the pump.

Davedew

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the oil relief valve out no problem. You reckon it's worth a go squirting some oil in there?

procomp

posted on 16/11/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yep you need to get oil into the pump for it to suck any oil through. Oil pressure release valve will do to prime the pump and fill oil filter as suggested.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 17/11/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth taking the sump off to check if your calculations were right. It's possible you could have tightened up the sump blocking the end of the pickup.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
i used a rebuilt 1600cvh and turned it over for ages with the plugs out to try and get oil pressure to show its self, but it just wouldnt, finally ended up fingers crossed and just started it, oil pressure came up straight away so i was happy but could have gone the other way.
FASTdan

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
My 1600CVH can take 2-3mins of cranking when its been stood before it'll generate oil pressure.

The relief valve is a direct line to the pump so if you can get access this is probably the best place to prime it.

I once had a sticking relief valve on the same engine so if you still struggle it might be worth looking at. Remove the spring, insert a screwdriver and give the back of the valve a tap, if it moves its been stuck.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse fill the galeries and oil pump via the oil pressure take off point, use a squirt type oil can and whatever you need to seal between the sopout and block.....

Davedew

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I took the filter off and jammed a funnel into the center port of the oil filter last night. Left it full with oil to see if gravity would work. Oil has gone this morning, and it isn't all over the floor or side of the engine. Hopefully ran back through pump into sump.

I'll squirt some oil in through the pressure relief valve tonight and give it another go.

Don't really want to drop sump as I'll have to split engine & gearbox again.

Thanks for all the advice, i'll let you know how I get on.

Jenko

posted on 17/11/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Also you need to check the pickup pipe connection to the block....this has a small gasket that needs to be in good condition any air around here and it wont work. The design of the cvh oil pump should mean if you have the pickup submerged in oil it 'Should' pick up the oil..... Assume oil pump is good nick and relief valve is not sticking open...

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Davedew

posted on 17/11/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Gasket from pickup pipe to oil pump was a new one when I put it back together, and bolts torgued to correct setting. I'll give it another go tonight after injecting oil through the relief valve.

When I got the engine it was full of brand new oil. The car it came from had just been serviced before it got broken. Filter was full with oil. I hope it is just a priming issue. I think the 1600 cvh engines are a bit prone to it.

Davedew

posted on 18/11/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
We'll I have pumped oil into the oil pressure relief valve, through oil filter & cranked with filter off. All the things suggested above, and I still get no show of oil when I crank it over.
All the time i'm pumping oil in, the level in the sump is going up, I'm assuming the only way to the sump is back through the oil pump?

I'm thinking to just try and start it and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.