Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New in here. Hello!
Marky911

posted on 26/12/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
New in here. Hello!

Hi everyone!
I've just joined here after a recommendation from someone on another site.
I hope this is the correct section for saying hello as I couldn't see anywhere obvious for newbies.

Anyway, My name's Mark from Northumberland and the main reason I've joined is, I've owned a Global GT Light (R1 engined racecar) since the beginning of the year and have been searching for sources of info since then. You can google it or youtube it if you haven't heard of a one. It's been a steep learning curve, plagued by breakdowns, smashed driveshafts, overheating, etc. I'm on the right track now but still have some learning to do!

Anyway, I hope everyone's having a good xmas and I'll no doubt be pestering the BEC lads sometime soon, as I have a bit of work to do over the winter.

Cheers! Mark.

richard thomas

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Mark, it's a nice crowd on here - all the info you could want from the gang, found it invaluable during my build!!

Cheers, Rich.

Ivan

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome - I'm sure you will get many answers to your questions although it's quiet on here today.

Nice car by the way - must be fun to drive - what does it weigh?

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome. Lots of useful info and some smart people on here. As a BEC owner you'll get some banter from the CEC boys / girls but it's only because they're jealous really
RazMan

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark and welcome to the best forum on the Planet.
One word of advice, just ignore the BEC guys as they are mostly poorly informed deluded individuals but quite harmless really.
OMG an R1 engined car you say??

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark and welcome

always do a search befor posting a problem !

lewis

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome,any pics? Sounds like a nice car.
Marky911

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Lads,
yeah I thought it would be quiet in here at the moment. The Girlfriend's in bed ill so I'm dividing my time between the internet and sorting our boiler (don't ask!).

Ivan, my car weighs 390KG without driver. The Globals used to have their own race series (still going in Ireland), in which they ran with Yamaha Thundercat 600cc engines. They then went to 1000cc carbed engines (I have the R1 bike with this in). My car now runs the Injected engine. Quoted 172BHP although bike manufacturer power figures can be a little optomistic sometimes. It's de-catted and has the power commander along with a flatshifter.

Great fun, but constantly overheated when I first used it. I tried everything and went through about 3 of the plastic booster water pumps (everytime it overheated it ate one)! In the end I stuck the spare engine in as I figured it must be head-gasket (even though no oil in water, or vice-versa) as the coolant system just kept pressurising.
It's been fine since but, I've since read about the need for baffle plates, etc. So that's the plan over the winter. New dash, clutch, gauges(inc. sandwich plate for senders) and a few other mods.

RazMan - Very good.

Thunderace - Yeah I learnt to search for things first, over on P'heads. You get shown the error of your ways quite quickly in there.

Lewis - I have one or two pics I'll try and post. Do I link to a hosting site such as Photobucket, to post in here?

[Edited on 26/12/10 by Marky911]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/12/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes MR RAZMAN

One word of advice, just ignore the BEC guys as they are mostly poorly informed deluded individuals but quite harmless really.

Really mate ... ...........meow.

To the new bike engined member welcome

To sort your over heating problems contact Andy Bates AB performance and Malcolm Curr of Yorkshire engines.
They are both members here and between them have more knowledge about bike engines than anyone we know.

have a look at the videos to get your spirits up Really mate ... http://www.streetfire.net/video/high-passes-of-scotland_2181995.htm

[Edited on 27-12-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Chaddy

posted on 26/12/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Mark, got to say this has been the best site for info for my build, if it isn't on here it proberbly hasn't happened or been thought of in the kit car world.

Cheers
Dave

lewis

posted on 26/12/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate just link from photobucket as usual or you can link from your photo archive.
daviep

posted on 26/12/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark

Global GT LIght is a nice basic car, I used to help with the maintenance of one about ten years ago.

Are you running with a 600cc or 1000cc engine?

Regards
Davie

EDIT: Sorry just noticed you stated it was R1 powered. We were still running the thundercat engine the last time I had anything to do with it.

[Edited on 26/12/10 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coozer

posted on 26/12/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Mark, where abouts are you in Northumberland?

Wouldn't mind coming up to have a look at your car.

Regards,
Steve

gavin174

posted on 26/12/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
hello and welcome

this is eddie99's R1 powered global..

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=142317

he is planning to race in 750MC this year, but is also having a few teething problems with it.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

lotusmadandy

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.
Where are you in northumberland?

Andy

Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. You'll certainly find most of the answers on here you are looking for.

Get some pics up into the archive

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeR

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome - my tip is ignore the search function on here and use google.

To force google to search this site type in your search terms then add site=www.locostbuilders.co.uk.

Somewhere on here there is some code to add locostbuilders as a default search site, but i can't remember where it is.

Marky911

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi lads,
thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm a Cramlington lad but, have been living on South Beach, Blyth for the last couple of years with the girlfriend. Anyone local is welcome to pop round for a cuppa and a neb. It's nothing particularly special mind but, I like it.

That Global looks nicely turned out. I wish him luck with the racing. Mine's trackdays only at the minute. They're twitchy buggers mind with the solid rear axle. I notice that his still has Avon slicks in the photos. He wants to get it off them (they're cross-plys, plies?) and get it onto radials. I've got the Avons on mine and don't rate them. Mind you, mine are hards. They're OK in the height of summer, etc, but I've been told radials are in a different league. I've got 4 Michelins in the garage, to go on for the spring (med/softs).

They are a simple car, yes. I think the cooling system is the weakest leak as the rad sits almost horizontal.

I've spent the last hour or so looking for my disc of pics and can't find it. I've even sat and loaded the driver disc I got with my mobile phone, as I have a photo on the phone. Sat and installed the disc, plugged phone in and it doesn't recognise the phone's even there! Great.

I'll get some up soon though.

ETA - Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll try that.

[Edited on 26/12/10 by Marky911]

gavin174

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
the main problem Ed has is the gearbox....

currently uprating it to a 5JJ, which i believe is stronger

scootz

posted on 26/12/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya Marky!

The Global Gt is a cracking looking little car... I've been tempted on a few occasions!

It's Evolution Baby!

Marky911

posted on 26/12/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
OK, found my disc...
Hope this works..

These were taken at my first trackday back in March. You'll notice I'm leaning in the 3rd pic. The header tank is mounted behind my right shoulder, on the rear bulkhead. It's under the join of the mid and rear bodywork. The cooling system pressurised and spewed red hot coolant down my back and neck. I'm guessing this shot was taken just after.

Learnt a valuable lesson that day. Never travel miles to drive a car you haven't tested yet! Done 5 laps when my problems started. Hey-ho. I've stuck to Teesside Autodrome since, until I trust the cars reliability.

Last one is not really relevant to this site but, that's what I'm into as well as trackdays.

scootz

posted on 26/12/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a hoot!

It's Evolution Baby!

Marky911

posted on 26/12/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's great....

When it works.

scootz

posted on 26/12/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
What track were those taken at?

It's Evolution Baby!

gavin174

posted on 26/12/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
what seat you using..

you are sitting very high..

and looks like you bloking the air intake to the engine

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.