Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Oil Pressure switch?
The Venom Project

posted on 28/12/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Oil Pressure switch?

Does anyone know if I can simply attach an aftermarket Oil Pressure gauge to the R1 engine? Does it have an already factor fitted oil pressure switch?. I was trying to avoid doing anything to the standard engine like the oil filter take off plate, only after lots of issues on the MNR I had. If I can get away with just fitting a gauge onto an existing switch that would be great?

Has anyone got any easy ways of doing this otherwise? Or is a sandwhich plate the easiest way to do it?

Cheers

Nick





It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 28/12/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,
The R1 only has oil level switch as standard, but i know on the 5VY there are two blanks/takeoffs for the factory to fit a presure switch.

what year R1 are you talking about

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 28/12/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
This would be something like a 2000 to possibly 2002 model

Alternativly, would the best option be to fit an oil filter takeoff plate? and put an oil temp in one side and an oil pressure switch in the other?

Cheers

Nick





It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 28/12/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate. I'm in exactly your position and looking to do this to my 2005 R1 engine. After loads of looking on the net, I think I'll just go for the oil filter sandwich plate. They usually have 3x 1/8th npt ports, same as my gauges, plus bungs for the ports you don't use.
Seems like the easiest option by far, given the fact no machining or threading is required.
My only concern is the oil flow being maintained through the plate.
Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. I'll tag along in here though, for some answers, hehe.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 28/12/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, repost. Bloody phone!

[Edited on 28/12/10 by Marky911]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 28/12/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did mine on 5PW

Drilled and tapped the oil cooler bolt and used a Racetec gauge - works very well

Description
Description

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 28/12/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good solution. My only problem is I also need to find somewhere for an oil temp sensor. Same as pressure, 1/8th npt. Do you use one or not, if so where do you have yours mounted?
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info guys,


I will look deeper into it when I have my R1 in my garage

Cheers

Nick





It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
That's a good solution. My only problem is I also need to find somewhere for an oil temp sensor. Same as pressure, 1/8th npt. Do you use one or not, if so where do you have yours mounted?


I went for a combined pressure\temp gauge to start with, but the sender for the temp was far too big.
Also putting it in the cooler seemed logically the wrong place to put it as I don't think it would give an accurate reading.
I toyed with idea of drilling the sump and welding a boss onto it for the temp side of the gauge, but decided against it in the end.

I have my engine wired to the standard 5PW bike clocks that match the engine so I get a very accurate measure of water temp, which lets me know what's going on with the engine.

So I settled for oil pressure gauge only in the end.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Pressure Gauge on the left.

Water Temp on the bike clocks.

Description
Description

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 29/12/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
That's a neat install Wheels. I doubt mine will ever be upto that standard.
My car uses the bike dash but, the only things that work are the tacho and the engine management light, which is on all the time!
I've got a water temp gauge but also want the oil temp in there as the car runs quite hot, especially in the summer. I want to know that the oil temp isn't so hot that it's dragging my water temp up, although I'm guessing if it was that hot my motor would be dead by now.
What does the speedo feed involve? 1 or 2 wires or something? How did you get yours to read accurately given different size wheels and gearing?
I need a gear indicator in there too, so if I can get my speedo working, it will aid in the fitting of that.
Anyway, good info, cheers and OP, again, sorry for hijacking your thread. Can't do a smilie as I'm on my phone.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
-matt

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question here as im currently designing my dash etc.

With the oil pressure is it best to have a gauge or just a warning light for when it gets low?

I will also have oil temp gauge and low oil level light.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
That's a neat install Wheels. I doubt mine will ever be upto that standard.
My car uses the bike dash but, the only things that work are the tacho and the engine management light, which is on all the time!
I've got a water temp gauge but also want the oil temp in there as the car runs quite hot, especially in the summer. I want to know that the oil temp isn't so hot that it's dragging my water temp up, although I'm guessing if it was that hot my motor would be dead by now.
What does the speedo feed involve? 1 or 2 wires or something? How did you get yours to read accurately given different size wheels and gearing?
I need a gear indicator in there too, so if I can get my speedo working, it will aid in the fitting of that.
Anyway, good info, cheers and OP, again, sorry for hijacking your thread. Can't do a smilie as I'm on my phone.



Thanks Mark

I used the standard bike loom spliced into a car loom I purchased from MNR.
So all the right connections were there already for ecu, clocks, coil pack etc.

To correct the speedo I used a Speedohealer

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

a great piece of kit, easy to install and calibrate - it just plugs into the bike loom - I've go the settings for R1 5PW running 15" wheels if you want them.

Rob

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt
Quick question here as im currently designing my dash etc.

With the oil pressure is it best to have a gauge or just a warning light for when it gets low?

I will also have oil temp gauge and low oil level light.


Personal preference really Matt.

I prefer a gauge because I can actually monitor the pressure and hopefully spot something going wrong before it goes catastrophic.

With a light only, you don't get much time to cut the engine before serious damage can occur due to the higher revving bike engines.

Both would be a good idea.

Rob

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 29/12/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
quote:
Originally posted by -matt
Quick question here as im currently designing my dash etc.

With the oil pressure is it best to have a gauge or just a warning light for when it gets low?

I will also have oil temp gauge and low oil level light.


Personal preference really Matt.

I prefer a gauge because I can actually monitor the pressure and hopefully spot something going wrong before it goes catastrophic.

With a light only, you don't get much time to cut the engine before serious damage can occur due to the higher revving bike engines.

Both would be a good idea.

Rob


Defo opt for a seperate gauge, after my failing on my MNR, I would never recommend anything like a Digidash again, I will be using all seperate gauges for my next kit, including seperate speedo and tacho, along with Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel level and Volts.

I like the look of the R1 clock, but want everything available to see at all times. Can't afford to lose another engine





It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 29/12/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right. Thanks Rob. It's all clever stuff!
I bought my car in March and can bolt things off and back on and repair things but, electrics aren't my strongest point.
I'll have a look at that link when I get home (my phone isn't fast online). I'll have a look at getting my speedo working soon.
Thanks for the offer on speedo data but, my engine is the 5vy model 04-06 and the car is on 13 inch tyres.
I'm going to start browsing a wiring diagram over the next few weeks in readiness for my gauges and dash sorting. I'll see how things go. Thanks a lot, good info. Good site this!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 29/12/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marky911
Ah right. Thanks Rob. It's all clever stuff!
I bought my car in March and can bolt things off and back on and repair things but, electrics aren't my strongest point.
I'll have a look at that link when I get home (my phone isn't fast online). I'll have a look at getting my speedo working soon.
Thanks for the offer on speedo data but, my engine is the 5vy model 04-06 and the car is on 13 inch tyres.
I'm going to start browsing a wiring diagram over the next few weeks in readiness for my gauges and dash sorting. I'll see how things go. Thanks a lot, good info. Good site this!


I can't claim the glory for the wiring Mark - it was the only job on the car that I didn't do myself.
Electrics aren't my strong point either - I contracted it out to Gary ( Autosparks) who MNR use sometimes.
What a hero - he did it start to finish in a ( long ) day ! And made a very tidy job.

Hardly anything on show - just how I wanted it. It all runs through the transmission tunnel and I mounted everything up under the scuttle.

Description
Description


You're welcome to come for a look if you're ever down this way.

Rob

( Sorry for going off thread )

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 6/1/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to bump this thread,

Rob, I'm about to send you a quick U2U mail, as I don't want to hijack the OPs thread again.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.