Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Day time running lights
Chaddy

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Day time running lights

Can anyone confirm if day time running lights are to become law next month.
loggyboy

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
For all new cars yes.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
For all new cars yes.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

new production cars though?

IVA manual still lists them as optional, but i don't know if thats likely to be changed

i still really can't see the point in them... if you can't see a car coming at you, and extra light won't make a difference, especially when all cars have them, they'll be less use. they only sort of work now because they're something different on only a few cars

[Edited on 12/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deezee

posted on 12/1/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i still really can't see the point in them... if you can't see a car coming at you, and extra light won't make a difference, especially when all cars have them, they'll be less use. they only sort of work now because they're something different on only a few cars

Surely that's the whole point. They highlight a car that you may not have otherwise seen. Loads of idiots drive in terrible weather with out putting thier lights on. Fog lamps, for instance, are for when visibility drops to 100yrds, not just for fog, but during torrential rain on a motorway, people don't bother even putting driving lights on, let alone fog lamps.

To be honest, its all regulations to make up for poor driving standards. Harder test and more restrictions would save more lives, but its too much money for the Government. Easier to insist car manufacturers cover the costs of compulsory features instead.

blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
yes, but what i'm saying is, when EVERYONE has them, nobody will stand out. they only reason they work just now is because audis stand out because its not that common.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deezee

posted on 12/1/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
yes, but what i'm saying is, when EVERYONE has them, nobody will stand out. they only reason they work just now is because audis stand out because its not that common.

Its not about exclusivity and making your car different from other cars. Its about being seen in poor visibility. If everyone has headlights on in bad weather, do they stand out more or less than if they all drove down the motorway, in fog with no lights on?

speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
quote:

Its not about exclusivity and making your car different from other cars. Its about being seen in poor visibility. If everyone has headlights on in bad weather, do they stand out more or less than if they all drove down the motorway, in fog with no lights on?

They wont stop someone driving into the back of you in fog with no lights on.

I know what Blake is saying. I went to a seminar a few years back and a question asked was why do volvo's always have their lights one and the guy said is was to help them be seen when driving even in daylight. The arguement is that when all cars have them, they wont be so obvious as your mind will get used to lights coming toward you all the time and they wont stand out so much.

Im suprised they hav'nt just done as the scandinavians and made it law to drive with your lights on. Would be a much easier way than making all car manufacturers change their cars and would even give the government another excuse to pull people over and fine them.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mcerd1

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

but everyone who's driving will stand out from the background / parked cars a bit more

round towns or even on the motorways I can't see it making much difference, it won't hurt either though

but out on the back roads where I spend alot of time it'll make a world of difference (in and out of trees, crap weather, at sunrise / sunset and so on....) you wouldn't beleve how dark it has te get for some of the idiots to put there lights on

I wish they'd done this sooner, I spent a week in iceland a while back, over there you have to have dipped headlights on all the time (except when you can use main beams obviously) I thought it was a brilliant idea - so now I have mine on when ever the weather / daylight is less than perfect (i.e. most of the winter up here )

[Edited on 12/1/2011 by mcerd1]

-

blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

i never said it was about exclusivity! lol fog lights and headlights are about poor visibility, DRLs are about making a car more obvious all the time, thats why you still have to have them during a dry sunny summers day. in 10 years time, when everyone has them, a car won't stand out then. they only stand out now because a few cars have them. thats supposed to be what makes you notice it. if you can't see 2 tons of steel coming at you anyway, an extra little light will be lost on you

never mind, thats not what this thread's about.

Canada EH!

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
We put them on motorcycles in Ontario Canada in the 70's, cars in the 90's, before you get all bent and twisted wait and see how it works. I plan on using them on the Locost even though I don't have to.

When half the vehicles were I live are large American 4x4 pickups I want to be seen.

In the 90's as a Toronto Police officer I was stopped by a police officer from Ohio, wanting to know why all the cars had their headlights on, I told him about the daytime running lights and after experiencing them during his vacation he approved of them and they should be manditory.

He then told me GM cars in the states could be ordered with the daytime lights as an option.

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
When I tow a car on my trailer I have my dipped head lights on.

If I meet a car on a narrow (ish) blind bend then this gives the oncoming driver a little extra warning
that there's a reason I'm a little way out from the side of the road.

I also am an ex biker and always ran with dipped headlights.

I don't see a reason for lights in good visibility on ordinary cars.

Cheers
Paul G

pewe

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with our cars is that they are below the level at which the average dork perceives a car to be (much the same as bikers are apparently
invisible to most tin-top drivers).
In the first week on the road on two occasions I had cars coming in the opposite direction towards me down city streets restricted by parked
cars where the drivers did not realise I was there.
Also given that most Se7en type cars will be travelling faster than your average tin-top running lights are a good idea.
Mine are high viz led - the same as fitted to trucks as side marker lights and deffo make a difference.
Cheers, Pewe

britishtrident

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Surely that's the whole point. They highlight a car that you may not have otherwise seen. Loads of idiots drive in terrible weather with out putting thier lights on. Fog lamps, for instance, are for when visibility drops to 100yrds, not just for fog, but during torrential rain on a motorway, people don't bother even putting driving lights on, let alone fog lamps.

To be honest, its all regulations to make up for poor driving standards. Harder test and more restrictions would save more lives, but its too much money for the Government. Easier to insist car manufacturers cover the costs of compulsory features instead.

Just to point out fog lamps are for legal use in fog and falling snow only , they are definitely not approved for use in rain and spray.

DRLs are a good idea but Dim-Dip was better

[Edited on 12/1/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

deezee

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Just to point out fog lamps are for legal use in fog and falling snow only , they are definitely not approved for use in rain and spray.

I was jut going off the Highway code and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, which makes no reference to specific conditions, only "when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet)" and "Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility" I'm not sure where it mentions only falling snow and fog? Although I'd be happy to be shown to the current law (I'm usually out of date by quite a bit )

RK

posted on 13/1/11 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
IN Canada, you don't have to have your headlights as the running lights. I installed those very cheap LED's on my car and it really stands out. By that I mean you can see it! The lights are a good idea, and when it's dark on cloudy winter days it is easy to see people.
Strontium Dog

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a lad riding big bikes we were encouraged to use headlights all the time. Then, after many deaths, they powers that be noticed that as you go down our pot hole ridden roads and the headlight bounced up and down people would pull out of junctions because they thought you had flashed your light to let them out!

Peronally I think lights should be for low visability situations esp. on bikes.

RazMan

posted on 13/1/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
As I have over 40 years on bikes I can really appreciate the value of using lighting all of the time. I think that the headlight 'bouncing' issue is a valid one and proper daylight lamps are a much better idea because they do not have a 'beam' so the light is diffused and unaffected by suspension movement.

I have fitted some superbright LEDs in my toy car which really make a huge difference to visibility, even in bright sunlight. They are completely different to headlights so no one can confuse them as a 'flash' if I hit a pothole. Also the LEDs consume very little current so there is no effect on my tiny alternator (good for BECs too)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I was jut going off the Highway code and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, which makes no reference to specific conditions, only "when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet)" and "Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility" I'm not sure where it mentions only falling snow and fog? Although I'd be happy to be shown to the current law (I'm usually out of date by quite a bit )

I beleive you are 100% correct, they should really be called low visablity lights IMO.

People should be taught how to use them too. Ie they can be switched on an off more than once in a journey that requires their use. Just because its foggy for half a mile, doesnt mean you should keep them on for the following 10 miles that are clear of fog.
And front fogs are gay, I dont think anyone realises they should only be used without Headlights and arent needed during day light hours even when it is foggy. Rant rant rant.

turnipfarmer

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm neither for nor against them, but certain configurations of front lights means DRL's can completely wash out indicators in bright sunlight. Some VW's suffer from this. (Also, DRL's on four-by-saddos can be distinctly intrusive, being at the height they are.)

Might get interesting in a court case, too. The onus is on a driver making a manouevre to give a clear and timely signal. But if the indicator cannot be seen because of DRL's, who's fault is it?

PeterV

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
These daytime running lights will just kill a lot of bikers IMHO. Bikes use to stand out but they won't any more. No one pays any attention to the bleeping from lorries or fork-lifts now they all have reversing sirens. Car alarms went through a phase of being ignored when they went off constantly. I wonder who has lots of shares in automotive lighting companies.... MEP's maybe
bodger

posted on 18/1/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Do DRL's have to be separate units or can I just wire my headlights to be on dipped with the engine running ?
What about rear lights ? do these need to be on as well?
As an aside it seems a lot of countries don't buy into this 'safety' measure. If you do a google you'll see some figures suggesting it increases the accident rate, especially for motor/push bikes.

PeterV

posted on 18/1/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
If memory serves the IVA states that the DRL's must turn off when the headlights turn on so I guess that means they have to be independent units. Pure madness!

No need for rear lights.

RazMan

posted on 18/1/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterV
If memory serves the IVA states that the DRL's must turn off when the headlights turn on so I guess that means they have to be independent units. Pure madness!

Not really mad as DRLs have a much wider beam spread so they would just dazzle at night. A bit like the difference between rear foglights and tail lights

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turnipfarmer

posted on 18/1/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
There was a similar idea to DRL's about a hundred years ago... you had to have a man walking in front of your car waving a red flag.

Perhaps, given the number of cars on the roads these days, we ought to resurrect that one instead. Reduce accidents and cut unemployment at the same time!

PeterV

posted on 19/1/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turnipfarmer
There was a similar idea to DRL's about a hundred years ago... you had to have a man walking in front of your car waving a red flag.

Perhaps, given the number of cars on the roads these days, we ought to resurrect that one instead. Reduce accidents and cut unemployment at the same time!

Now you've done it. The next "Do Gooder" to read that will start a lobby group

Why on earth would you want a DRL to have a diffrent beam to a headlight?
There is probably a bizzare reason in said Do Gooder's grey cells, like say another £10 on a MOT to check them.

Hey wait till the "Green" lobby works out how much more fuel the globe will use when we are all running around with lights on all day
Saftey lobby versus Green lobby that should be a good scrap.......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.