Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: way OT - Mrs job coming to a end.
Irony

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
way OT - Mrs job coming to a end.

My girlfriends job comes to a end in a couple of months and I think she should be applying for jobs now in readyness for her impending unemployment. She's a hard worker but she seems to find the whole applying for jobs thing thoroughly irritating and annoying and puts it off. If I approach the subject she gets the hump and goes off in a huff. in my opinion she should be approaching companies, sending emails, networking and generally being pro-active.

I know how galling it is with the constant rejection as I applied for at least 80 jobs before I got my current job but I can't very well apply for her (I have a car to build ).

I just want to give her a sense of urgency about the situation that doesn't result in a grump.

loggyboy

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the opposite to me and the wife.
Shes the one always planning and telling me I should do this now before it gets to late.
I like to do things as when they are absolutely needed, and not before.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm men & womans brains are wired to a whole other set of plans, your on a hiding to nowhere, whatever way you approach it it will turn in to a "kicking the Sh**" outta you scenarion no matter what.

best buy a gimp suit and enjoy it when it turns out to "be all your fault"

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
wish my ride would actively seek employment....... does a job exist for being on face book 18 hrs aday....

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same as my Mrs. Now out of work and fair enough she keeps her eyes open but I can't help feeling there needs to be more urgency in her actions as she seems to be missing the few jobs that come up. But like you, when I approach the matter the arguments start. I don't think there's any real answer.
blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
she sounds like me, my job finished just before xmas, i'm constantly getting told i need to apply for stuff, basically being told what i should be thinking, and what i should be doing, personally, i'm quite happy with a month or 2 off, but no one else seems t be lol. my money is all mine though, its not like anyone else is loosing out because i've not got any money coming in (not signing on either) which i assume is your worry?

if you've not got joint accounts etc, let her get on with it in her own time, if you do, then remind her and then leave it at that. don't keep on at her, because the more you do, the more she'll put it off. she sounds stubborn like me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
wish my ride would actively seek employment....... does a job exist for being on face book 18 hrs aday....

Does a job exist for being on LB 18 hours a day?

BenB

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
quote:

Yes, it's called part-time

scootz

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
quote:

Yes, it's called part-time

Or working for your local council!

It's Evolution Baby!

hughpinder

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ Nice to see the rates being spent usefully for a change

Marky911

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hey lads, I must have a one in a million girlfriend then! When she quit her job (primary school teacher), she had a load of business cards and postcards made, and was out all day long, dropping them in, personally, to every primary school within a 15 mile radius. She also went temping to earn what she could in the mean time, whilst using up some of her savings without asking me to pay any extra for things.
I think I should make dinner tonight to show my appreciation. Nah, just kidding, she still works less hours than me, so should have it done by the time I get in!

It's a hard call OP. I would stress to her that you'll obviously do your best to support the both of you while she's out of work, but you'll struggle so she needs to secure things for both of you. Unless she knows your loaded, then you're snookered.
Some lasses work like that though, don't they. So laid back they're horizontal but, when it comes to the crunch, they get the job done. She'll probably get herself sorted.
Good luck!

[Edited on 12/1/11 by Marky911]

r1_pete

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
How about sitting down with her and working through writing a really good CV.

Then googling the types of business likely to need her skills in your area, and building up a mailing 'list'

Also send it to agencies etc.

Its about working with Her, coaching and supporting,

rather than:

'GET SOME CVs SENT OUT WOMAN!!!!' - come to think of it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just tell her straight...No nooky till she gets a job....

That'll sort it.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
You mean she'll never get a job ???

Why not have a chat with her about if she's made a plan? Just so you know what she's intending so you can support her. Also say if she wants any help in doing anything then you're here for her.

Me, i quit in the summer, took 6 months off and am now looking for a job. G/f got made redundant in Sept, took 3 months off and is now looking. We both talked about our 'plans' and both knew what was going on so no arguments.

Irony

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to tread carefully I think. Don't really want to end in me getting a knuckle sandwich.

Ninehigh

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Security

You should make a budget sheet, with all your outgoings on one side, and your income on the other. Total the deficit and leave it somewhere she'd find it and it looks like you've been stressing about how you're going to pay the mortgage while she's grumping about sending applications.

Mind you I still draw the line when they put "Describe a time when you worked as part of a team" as I just cba with the sarky answers anymore like "Describe a time when you breathed or did something else equally autonomous"
My best one was "See CV, EVERY job invloved working as part of a team, ALL THE TIME"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.