Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any hifi buffs? Mordaunt Short 902's
ChrisW

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Any hifi buffs? Mordaunt Short 902's

I've been given a pair of Mordaunt Short 902 speakers, but it seems the tweeters are blown on them. I really want to replace the crappy Technics things I have in my office which I think were part of an AV system in a previous life.

I do have a pair of vintage Technics M5's which sound great, but they're just too big for this room.... but that's another story.

Anyway, is it worth repairing the 902's? If so, where can I buy replacement tweeters for them?

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 17/1/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
They are definitely worth saving if you can find some spares, but unfortunately you will probably find second hand ones on sale for the price of the tweeters

any help?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
might just be worth checking the crossovers,..?
ChrisW

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
They're bi-wire-able (is that word?) so I doubt it's the crossovers. Worth taking the backs off though I guess.

...now to find my allen keys....

Chris

theduck

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Tweeters undo from front on these iirc. you need to remove the grille, remove the rubber bungs from each corner and plastic front unscrews. From memory its a faily generic fabric type tweeter that could likely be acquired from a local branch of a national electrical store
ChrisW

posted on 17/1/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Had the backs off. Crossover seems fine, deffo the tweeter

For the price they're bidding at on eBay, probably cheaper and easier to get a new set.

Shame!

Chris

iceman26

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
have they got the bi-wire conectors fitted
Marky911

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
That is a shame Chris.

I have the 902 bookshelfs as my 5.1 system rear speakers along with the 906 floorstanders up front. Fantastic sound from both sets. Infact before I built my system into 5.1, the 902's were my only speakers. Crystal clear.

Good luck getting them sorted, if you do.
Mark.

ChrisW

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some big Wharfedale XARUS5000 floor standers in the lounge powered by an Onkyo processor. Not the best speakers in the world, but they have a great bass response and make a lot of noise for watching for watching the telly.

Wish I could use the M5's in the office, but they're just too big.

MS's look like they're destined for the bin though, unless they guy I got them off wants them back. I'm tempted to eBay a pair though.

Chris

dhutch

posted on 17/1/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay the ones you have, detailing they need tweeters replacing....? Someone will but them!

There was a thread on AVforums some time last year where someone gave away a set of working 902's!
I missed it ofcause, but someone was very lucky. That said the wharfdale 9.1's ive got arnt doing too shabbly for what they are.

Daniel

dlatch

posted on 18/1/11 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
if you don't have them bi wired then there should be jumper bars
would explain the no tweeter situation too

dhutch

posted on 18/1/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
would explain the no tweeter situation too
Im always amazed by ow many fall for this, but i assume chris is above these antics!?

jossey

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
nice speakers i have a pair.

they are more common known as MS 902.

dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.