Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 reverse gate.
lewis

posted on 12/2/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 reverse gate.

Hi all,my type 9 gearbox seems to be missing the reverse gate so it's easy to select 1st/reverse :-@ is there a easy fix/a part missing? Cheers Lewis.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 12/2/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Is the gearbox as you got it or did you build the car? It might be worth taking the gear lever off and taking a couple of pics to stick on here, may be more help in advising then.

Sounds like there is an issue with the detent.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

owelly

posted on 12/2/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I lost the reverse gate and the lever centering when I removed and refitted the tail casing. Poking out of the tail casing is a locating pin, a bit like a 3" piece of knitting needle, which needs to locate in the middle of the legs of the spring which dangles off the selector shaft. In my case, the only way to rectify it was to remove the tail casing, align the spring in the right place and then refit.

Here...

[Edited on 12/2/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
laptoprob

posted on 12/2/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have an extension fitted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

David Jenkins

posted on 12/2/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you remove the gearstick and look in the hole you should see a shiny lump of steel jammed into the aluminium on the right-hand (driver's) side. The bottom of the gearstick has a part that hits this when you push the stick left to go to first gear. If you push the stick down and push left the cut-out in the bottom of the stick rides over the bottom of the shiny lump of steel and lets you go far enough to get reverse.

So - there are a few possibilities...

1. The lump of steel is missing: unlikely, as it's usually jammed it firmly.
2. The bottom of the stick has lost its end that hits the lump of steel: also unlikely.
3. The gearstick has been thumped on top and moved down in relation to its pivot point, or the 'rubber spring' has lost its springiness, so the end is always lower than it should be: most likely cause, if it's not what owelly describes.

Have a look at this article to see what I mean (it relates to making a cheap quick-shift, but it has all the info you need.)

LINKY

HTH

[Edited on 12/2/11 by David Jenkins]

lewis

posted on 12/2/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys I'll look into what's been said & try to post pics later cheers Lewis. :-)
lewis

posted on 12/2/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
ok a quick update,I'm answer to a earlier question there was a extension fitted but I removed it when I got the car,I have found that the keyway and plastic spacer were both missing see pics,lucky I have a spare box for my zetec install so managed to rob the parts from that.
So the final results are a working gearbox and positive gear changes! So a big thanks to all :-) next question is does anyone have these bits from a old gearbox they could swap for beer tokens,thanks again guys,Lewis.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/2/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
The plastic saddle was available from Fords a couple of years ago for about £1.00 Not worth messing about with a worn s/h one
lewis

posted on 12/2/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate, anyone have a parts catalogue for a type 9?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.