Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec Crank Sensor - Why?
Tiger Super Six

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec Crank Sensor - Why?

Chaps,

I don't know much about engines so this might be a stupid question, but it got me wondering.

When I got my Duratec engine the crank position sensor got broken taken the engine out of the donor car and I therefore needed to replace it. When I replaced it I looked into how to do this and was told to line the hole up on the bottom of the crank pully and put in a bolt. The missing tooth on the trigger wheel would then be at 11'o clock and the crank sensor fitting tool would then fit over the 9th tooth back, which it did, so I assume all is OK.

My question though is why does the engine need to be in this exact position when fitting the crank sensor as if you ever turned the engine over by hand, surely this would then change all these positions as the crank sensor wouldn't be working at that time, so would this then cause problems starting the engine.

My view was that the sensor picks up on the trigger wheel and effectively calibrates itself each time you start the engine by picking up the missing tooth, is this right, and also a point to remember is that this is just simply replacing the sensor not rebuilding the engine when the cams, timing etc would all need to be set.

Thoughts?

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

bigrich

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
in my experience, it makes no difference what position the engine is in when changing just a crank sensor.

If the bracket is also changed then there may be need to adjust and align to a reference mark or tooth.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Are you reading the guide to Cam timing by any chance? this would require the crank loking at a specific position, probs TDC.

Replacing the sensor should not require any specific crank position.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nib1980

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
as far as i'm aware crank position sensor can be removed an replaced with the CRANK in any position

at least i hope so..........

BenB

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Really?

If the crank sensor was at any old position how would the ECU know when to deliver the sparks. Although the timing is adjusted for a single cylinder relative to TDC, the only way the ECU knows when each cylinder is a TDC is relative to a known constant. So surely it's therefore vital that the crank sensor is at the right position otherwise the timing will be off.

Of am I confused?

nz_climber

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
That is correct

For everything thing to work, the ecu needs the sensor to be in the exact position, and also the toothed wheel needs to be the exact position on the crank (usually by a key) so it can work out where TDC each rotation and supply fuel and spark to suit..

Replacing the sensor should be a easy remove and replace deal though, not sure about the duratec, but all other engines (mainly toyota) I have dealt with have dowels to ensure the sensor goes in the correct position every time.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

mcerd1

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Really?

If the crank sensor was at any old position how would the ECU know when to deliver the sparks. Although the timing is adjusted for a single cylinder relative to TDC, the only way the ECU knows when each cylinder is a TDC is relative to a known constant. So surely it's therefore vital that the crank sensor is at the right position otherwise the timing will be off.

Of am I confused?

the missing tooth tells the ECU where TDC is

the sensor needs to be placed correctly for this to work (e.g. 90deg before TDC for EDIS4 based setups like megajolt)
but unless the duratec sensor mounting is adjustable then I can't see how it would make any odds...

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/2/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Tiger Super Six

quote:
Really?

Of am I confused?

That seems to be logical in one sense and I guess what I was told, BUT, the ECU would know by picking up the missing tooth, that's why the position of the trigger wheel would be very important, but I am not so sure about the crank sensor.

If it was that important it would mean that if you put the car in gear to test something, clutch biting point etc, then if the engine turned over slightly doing this, the crank sensor would be out of alignment, surely something this simple couldn't affect the timing of the engine?

Mark

Tiger Avon

Tiger Super Six

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
There are two mounting posts that it bolts onto and then the holes in the sensor are elongated (not sure how you spell that!). When you get the sensor there is a plastic cover that fits over it which then has a slot in it that fits over a tooth on the trigger wheel. So when you push that over you then tighten the bolts and it should be in the right place.

Pretty sure I have done it OK, I am just not sure that I really needed to line the engine to TDC and count back to make sure it was the right number of teeth to the one I aligned on as the trigger wheel is already in the correct place and the sensor will calibrate when I turn the engine over by seeing the missing tooth.

Mark

Tiger Avon

BenB

posted on 18/2/11 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
quote:
Really?

Of am I confused?

That seems to be logical in one sense and I guess what I was told, BUT, the ECU would know by picking up the missing tooth, that's why the position of the trigger wheel would be very important, but I am not so sure about the crank sensor.

crank sensor = trigger wheel ??? Isn't it?

Tiger Super Six

posted on 18/2/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The crank sensor and trigger wheel are two seperate things. The trigger wheel is mounted behind the crank pulley and the crank sensor bolts to the front of the engine case to pick up the movement of the trigger wheel.

Mark

Tiger Avon

vinny1275

posted on 18/2/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
You can turn the engine without it in the car and the sensor will use the first turn of the engine to determine the cycle of the engine, by calibrating against the missing tooth - it won't put in any fuel until it's found the engine position, and as long as the cam is timed properly, nothing can get damaged. If you were to move the sensor around the rotational edge of the wheel, you'd need to either adjust the wheel by the same number of degrees, or adjust the ECU to a different number of degrees before / after TDC.

The position of the sensor is important as there is a fine clearance required between the sensor face and the edge of the trigger wheel - normally about a mm or so...

mcerd1

posted on 18/2/11 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
There are two mounting posts that it bolts onto and then the holes in the sensor are elongated (not sure how you spell that!). When you get the sensor there is a plastic cover that fits over it which then has a slot in it that fits over a tooth on the trigger wheel. So when you push that over you then tighten the bolts and it should be in the right place.

Pretty sure I have done it OK, I am just not sure that I really needed to line the engine to TDC and count back to make sure it was the right number of teeth to the one I aligned on as the trigger wheel is already in the correct place and the sensor will calibrate when I turn the engine over by seeing the missing tooth.

that explains it then

the likes of the zetecs just have a hole to stick the sensor through and the trigger wheel is actually just machined into the back of the flywheel so there is nothing to adjust - I'm guessing mazda didn't think that was good enough for the MZR (aka: duratec)

-

nz_climber

posted on 18/2/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Gives the instructions in the link below

http://www.turbosp ort.co.uk/showthread.php?127406-Grahamb-s-Mk1-Fiesta-XR2-Duratec-HE-Hillclimber&p=1690225&viewfull=1

I think this method is better than the zetec method on the fly wheel, especially for our uses as it means you don't need that same pattern on any new flywheels (when doing to light weight alloy flywheels etc)

But agree most manufactures don't alloy for adjustment (so can be something else to get wrong..)

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

prawnabie

posted on 18/2/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing something or is he just replacing the sensor? It doesn't matter how many times you turn the engine over with no sensor, if you put the new one back where the old one came from bobs your uncle.
mcerd1

posted on 18/2/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nz_climber
Gives the instructions in the link below

http://www.turbosp ort.co.uk/showthread.php?127406-Grahamb-s-Mk1-Fiesta-XR2-Duratec-HE-Hillclimber&p=1690225&viewfull=1

I think this method is better than the zetec method on the fly wheel, especially for our uses as it means you don't need that same pattern on any new flywheels (when doing to light weight alloy flywheels etc)

But agree most manufactures don't alloy for adjustment (so can be something else to get wrong..)

I wish you hadn't posted that link - It makes me wish I hadn't sold my old mk1 (even if it was just a 1.1l)

I'm very jealous now

-

MikeRJ

posted on 19/2/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Am I missing something or is he just replacing the sensor? It doesn't matter how many times you turn the engine over with no sensor, if you put the new one back where the old one came from bobs your uncle.

That's the whole point, on the Duratec the crank position sensor isn't positively located like it is on the Zetec etc; it has to be properly aligned when installed before the mounting bolts are tightened.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.