Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is a reasonable amount of HP from a 2.0L MX-5 lump?
beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
What is a reasonable amount of HP from a 2.0L MX-5 lump?

According to the webs the 2.0L MZR14 engine come out of the box with 168hp and 140tq. Im aiming for a total power somewhere between 200 and 220 hp. I'm assuming that to get that kind of increase I will need to use forced induction. I plan on rebuilding an engine with new internals, more for peace of mind, but is that a substantial increase (20%)? Will it require a new diff and dog box as well?

You guys that have miata lumps what kind of power are you creating and how.... if you don't mind giving your trade secrets away. What about your gear boxes 5sp, 6sp, auto ?

Thanks,

Beags

[Edited on 3/2/2011 by beagley]

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

mcerd1

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beagley
You guys that have miata lumps

you need to translate that: Miata = MX5 on this side of the water

[Edited on 2/3/2011 by mcerd1]

-

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
You guys that have miata lumps

you need to translate that: Miata = MX5 on this side of the water

My apologies..... I forget sometimes. I try to remember to speak proper english when I use the forum.

mcerd1

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
:LOL:

all I know about the MZR engines is that they are basicaly the same as the duratec's which are very popular over here at the moment in all kinds of cars
with loads of tunning parts and of the shelf engines avalible (cosworth make alot of very shinny bits for them)
as to what the differences are I don't have a clue, but I'm told the duratec's will fit the 6spd. manual MX5 boxes

and a 2.0 duratec can easy make 200bhp with minimal mods: linky

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to fill in the details....

-

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I know FlakMonkey on this forum has done an AMAZING job with a duratek which has caused me to drool multiple times. I want to budge around 4k USD (2456 GBP) for my engine/gear box.

I have already told myself that I won't be able to get a duratec for that kind of money which is why I was looking at the MX-5 gear. I do like that option though, I could even use FlakMonkey's well designed oil pan.... guess I need to go fire up my money machine and print some more.

Beags

v8kid

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also interested to see as my better half has a 2l MX5 and since it is well out of warranty now I was thinking of the supercharger/turbo route but only have a couple of Łk to spend. Did not know it was the same as the ford engine it looks different superficially?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
I'm also interested to see as my better half has a 2l MX5 and since it is well out of warranty now I was thinking of the supercharger/turbo route but only have a couple of Łk to spend. Did not know it was the same as the ford engine it looks different superficially?

Cheers!

I thought they were different, but the more I read up on the current MX5 (NC model) the more I believe that they are using the duratec engine. Hmm..... I might just have to get an MK powered by ford then.

mcerd1

posted on 2/3/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure there will be some differences (there are some changes just between the differnt ford fitments) but alot of tunning parts seem to be listed to fit either...

-

MakeEverything

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
There are a lot of MX-5's in the US with the eaton M45 supercharger with some pretty good results.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

v8kid

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
From what I can gleam from 'tinternet the MX5 engine has VVT and variable inlet length. Problems are with ECU changes for VVT and packaging of inlet plumbing for supercharger.
All in all makes a kit more desirable but surely if SDB can set 208bhp without vvt just by changing inlets the MX% should make more with VVT?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
From what I can gleam from 'tinternet the MX5 engine has VVT and variable inlet length. Problems are with ECU changes for VVT and packaging of inlet plumbing for supercharger.
All in all makes a kit more desirable but surely if SDB can set 208bhp without vvt just by changing inlets the MX% should make more with VVT?

I think they use piggyback chips in addition to the standard ECU, thus overcoming the issues youve mentioned.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

pewe

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on how/what your going to use it for and based on having driven both supercharged and turbo cars (not MX5s mind you) I'd go for supercharged.
Turbos are great, giving "free" power but it all happens fairly high up the rev range.
A blower on the other hand is there from the moment you crack the throttle open.
In terms of complexity the blower is strap it on and off you go (well almost) rather than messing about tuning the engine majorly to access significant power hikes.
As has been said there seems to quite a bit of experience State side blowing MX5s.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Depending on how/what your going to use it for and based on having driven both supercharged and turbo cars (not MX5s mind you) I'd go for supercharged.
Turbos are great, giving "free" power but it all happens fairly high up the rev range.
A blower on the other hand is there from the moment you crack the throttle open.
In terms of complexity the blower is strap it on and off you go (well almost) rather than messing about tuning the engine majorly to access significant power hikes.
As has been said there seems to quite a bit of experience State side blowing MX5s.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

I do kind of lean more toward the supercharged route as I feel it gives more "usable" power. I've been in contact with a mazda race shop close to my house that will hopefully help me out. I'll try to skip the "newbie" comments and questions, but I plan on mostly road use with the occasional track day.

People have done some crazy things to MX5s over here. I've recently seen a plethora of LS v-8s being dropped into a mx5 which is.... interesting.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Beags

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just found an article that confirms the Duratecs from 2005+ are actually the Mazda MZR.

Link

I guess that confirms that I will be using a duratec then.

Bare

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I' suggest a Turbo over a Supercharger .. any.. day. Compressors suck crank power all the time. Turbos are 'on demand'.
Turbo installs are simpler to effect.
BOTH compressors AND turbos have lag if incompetently sized to application.
Note even the Mini Cooper 'S' has gone to a turbo from it's previous compressor setup... and having owned one, I can verify that the Supercharged one had serious boost lag.

mcerd1

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have already told myself that I won't be able to get a duratec for that kind of money...

how much do they cost out of a scrap car over on your side of the pond ?

over here they are starting to get quite cheap

-

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
I have already told myself that I won't be able to get a duratec for that kind of money...

how much do they cost out of a scrap car over on your side of the pond ?

over here they are starting to get quite cheap

My first search turned up a 2005 2.0L with 90k miles for $1,000 (613 gbp) at the scrap yard closest to my house. Not too expensive I guess. Good for me, woo hoo!

MakeEverything

posted on 2/3/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

I prefer supercharged as well, but in terms of complexity, they are both very similar. The difference with the supercharger is that you dont need to install oil and water hoses to cool the bearings (depending on make). If a supercharger pushes out 15psi of boost and a turbo 15psi of boost, then youll still need to carry out the same amount of tuning to get the AFR within limits.

Im installing a SC to a renault 21 turbo engine (to be different and because of my preference) with megasquirt. The Megasquirt challenges would be exactly the same with the turbo, though at least with the supercharger i can tune it to driveable at low revs - at which point the turbo wont really be spooling up. The aim of this, is to drive it to the rolling road for top end tuning.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

flak monkey

posted on 2/3/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
I' suggest a Turbo over a Supercharger .. any.. day. Compressors suck crank power all the time. Turbos are 'on demand'.
Turbo installs are simpler to effect.
BOTH compressors AND turbos have lag if incompetently sized to application.
Note even the Mini Cooper 'S' has gone to a turbo from it's previous compressor setup... and having owned one, I can verify that the Supercharged one had serious boost lag.

Rubbish

Rotrex chargers draw virtually no power when cruising due to their clever drive system. And an eaton doesnt draw much more if you are using a dump or recirc valve.

The only reason the new Cooper S doesnt use a supercharger is its cheaper to fit a turbo. I had an original Cooper S and there was no boost lag whatsoever.

There are pro's and cons to both. But in a lightweight car the supercharger wins hands down for smooth power delivery throughout the rev range there is no surging power just smooth ever increasing power up to the limiter. Mine would happily cruise along at 35 in 5th gear which was around 1500rpm, and still pick up if you put your foot down as you dont have to lower the compression ratio as much you retain the low down RPM driveability.

This is the plot from my car, show me a dyno plot from a turbo'd Duratec with such smooth power and torque curves and I'll eat my hat....

01-10-10 dyno result
01-10-10 dyno result

PS - I know I am biased, but I did a lot of research to get my install working. Nothings a secret....

[Edited on 2/3/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ali f27

posted on 2/3/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi why not look for a 2.3 out of a us focus or ranger our 2.3 hillclimb engine makes 280 plus hp and 240 ftlb of toque
ed1801

posted on 2/3/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
These guys know everything about tuning MX5's - and they are your side of the pond...

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=76

beagley

posted on 2/3/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have been ALL over the flyinmiata site the past few days. They are kinda pricey though... at least at first glance. I enjoy talking with the lot of you on this forum though. Much more well behaved and entertaining.

jeffw

posted on 2/3/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not a turbo'ed Duratec I admit but this V10 RS6 has a pretty smooth graph. 831PS & 977Nm

[Edited on 2/3/11 by jeffw]

MakeEverything

posted on 2/3/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Not a turbo'ed Duratec I admit but this V10 RS6 has a pretty smooth graph. 831PS & 977Nm

[Edited on 2/3/11 by jeffw]

Bi turbo is totally different though. The smaller turbo is sized and designed to eliminate lag.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

jeffw

posted on 2/3/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not so small turbos....each side is a 2.6 straight 5 in effect with one turbo. Anyway just wanted to share the graph.....amazing car....nothing to do with Mazda MX-5 or Duratecs.

0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds (with limited power in 1st and 2nd gears to aid traction), 100-200 km/h in 6.3 seconds, 0-200 km/h in 10.4 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited at 350 kmh.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.