Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you turbo a pinton?
rich201283

posted on 9/7/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
How do you turbo a pinton?

Ive got a 2.0l pinto NON INJECTION, what would i need to do to turbo it and what parts would i need?
timf

posted on 9/7/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
easisest way

turbo, manifold, 2"/ 2 .5" su carb, tubing

mount the su so the turbo sucks thru it

[Edited on 9/7/04 by timf]

ned

posted on 9/7/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
or stick a yb head on it if it's a good block and run minimal boost Might need a sandwich plate to lower the CR. Probably better sticking with Tim's suggestion

Ned.

[Edited on 9/7/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 9/7/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Don't horrible things happen if you suck fuel/air mixture through a hot turbo?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 9/7/04 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
the suck thru method was the basis for the janspeed turbo conversion.
a beter way would be to use the injection system and an aftermarket ecu that way an intercooler could be used. with the suck thru method there is a limit as to the boost due to charge heating due to the fact that when you compress air it gets hot, whgich can cause detonation.
the other method for a carb is to seal the carb in a box and pressurise the box with the turbo as in a blow thru configuration.

[Edited on 9/7/04 by timf]

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/7/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
What about fitting a Supercharger ?

Is that easier?

Loads of torque..........

[Edited on 9/7/04 by Surrey Dave]

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 9/7/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
superchargers are always better as their is virtually no lag and is better heat wise. Just remember that with both the ignition will have to be retarded in some way. But it is true that using a carb is hard and fiddly. By the time you spent money and days sorting it out you might as well get a 16v engine which is more reliable. and most probably less worn. You can get whole engines and gearboxes from scrappies from £200 to £500. Just a thought.
I went down that route (supercharger)and gave up when the engine did not work well even though I got the horse power, plus fuel consumption is higher. not to mention insurance.
If you like the swisshh noise I got a good tape a play when changing gears.

crbrlfrost

posted on 9/7/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think I'd go as far as saying a supercharger is always better than a turbo, or even half the time. Albeit, through a carburator, the much shorter distance the intake charge has to travel on a supercharger is a bonus (vs a draw through turbo set-up). With fuel injection I'd go the turbo route most of the time. A Push through turbo set-ups have been successful in the past, but it seems like a lot of fiddling. In this case I'd probably go with the 16v instead as well. Cheers!
macspeedy

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
you'd be cheaper buying a cossie 16v already turbo'd lump..
Dale

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen using the standard carb as a blow through but build a pressure proof box over the carb so that the entire carb is at equal pressure .
Dale

crbrlfrost

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Should just require that the vent tube be pressurized to equalize the float bowl. Fuel pressure may need to be adjusted accordingly and the endless jet changes and tweeking. Seems like a megasquirt would be far more enticing than forced induction with a carb, but to each their own. Cheers!
Findlay234

posted on 10/7/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
read practical performance car now.
garage19

posted on 12/7/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I know that pintos from trannies have lower compression ratios, but my question is how is the this change made?

Do they:

a) Have a different head with larger chambers or....

b) Have dished pistons?

i'm considering building a fairly low pressure turbo pinto for my bros chevette and am wondering if it is worth ripping the head of the transit pinto i have just seen in the scrappy???

Cheers,

Doug.

DaveFJ

posted on 12/7/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
posted this elsewhere last week....

no info but others may be able to comment...

turbocat1
turbocat1

turbocat2
turbocat2

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

garage19

posted on 13/7/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ta,

Those tigers would look so good if they didn't run the crappy stock sierra rear suspension!

Dale

posted on 13/7/04 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Are the bulges on the front of the tiger rear wings there for aerodynamics as in smoothing the impact of air on the wings or is it just to hide suspension undernieth? Just curious as I will probably be making my own wings and was either thinking of blending the front in or venting the lower front of the wings.
Dale

garage19

posted on 13/7/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
they are there to hide the ugly sierra suspension. They just bolt the whole rear bed from the donor car onto the chassis!

Mark18

posted on 18/7/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alainmengoli@hotmail.com
superchargers are always better as their is virtually no lag and is better heat wise. Just remember that with both the ignition will have to be retarded in some way. But it is true that using a carb is hard and fiddly. By the time you spent money and days sorting it out you might as well get a 16v engine which is more reliable. and most probably less worn. You can get whole engines and gearboxes from scrappies from £200 to £500. Just a thought.
I went down that route (supercharger)and gave up when the engine did not work well even though I got the horse power, plus fuel consumption is higher. not to mention insurance.
If you like the swisshh noise I got a good tape a play when changing gears.

You also get to tune the exhaust

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.