Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Global GT Progress
eddie99

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Global GT Progress

Well, what a stressful and eventful couple of weeks.... For those that don't know, we had a 4XV 1999 Yamaha R1 engine in the global. 5 weeks ago testing at snetterton, third lap we dropped a valve. After a lot of thought and discussion with Andy Bates. We decided to get a 2008 ZX10R engine to put in. Got the engine within 2 weeks from Andy, Managed to get the car loom in the car and the engine cradle made within the first weekend. We then Took it back to Andy to fabricate the exhaust.

Last Friday i picked it up from Andys, Exhaust done and a few other small little engine related bits such as accusump plumbed in.

The last week has been spent furiously doing all the engine wiring, tensioning the chain, Airbox mods, All new cooling system, New bulkhead welded in, Ally Panels on the bulkhead, Dash Mods, New Gauge, All new complete fuel system.

This has meant a couple of very late nights and about 3000 miles in 3 weeks and a budget thats out the window.

Last night we finally managed to get it all running, Clutch, throttle cables were all sorted, we were running and changing gear on axle stands. Then we just had to do a bit more ally panelling, mounting the regulator/retifier and fiddling about with the tacho. Since then we haven't managed to get it started. The plan was to be at the rollers in harrogate (4hours drive) at 2pm today.

So after a couple of hours last night i finally got in at 4:30, i left home at 7:30 and waited outside Andy's place as i figured if anyone would get it running it would be him. Andy was great again and spent the morning searching for a problem, it turns out that the 3 relay box circuit board had blown up. Because we have been so short on time, the engine wiring was as in the bike....

We hoped to be testing friday and wednesday to have the first race at brands next saturday.

Unfortunately that means thats very unlikely, we have a new relay box coming from a breakers to be fitted on sunday and take it from there... We then plan on rebuilding the loom from almost scratch for the 2nd race in 5weeks time.

So after a frantic 5 weeks since the r1 went pop. Lots of miles and expense. Its been a shitty day Oh well, glad we got so much done and it was lovely to see it all running nicely yesterday.

Would like to thank Andy Bates in particular who has been brilliant as well as Gavin174 and Stuart_B who have both spent a quite significant amount of time helping.

Forgetting about the car for the next few days leaving it in the trailer till Sunday. I will get some pictures in the next week.

Ed

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Stuart_B

posted on 6/4/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
edd, we will get there mate

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

big_l

posted on 6/4/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
busy boy ed itll all be woth it in the end

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

eddie99

posted on 10/4/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well spent the day today at Andy Bates's, got the new relay board in. And found some earthing problems that hopefully caused it to break in the first place.. Also got a few little jobs done such as getting flatshifter properly working and tacho reading correctly. Suddenly it feels more worth it, now a call to Daytuner tomorrow morning to see when it can go on the rollers.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jon Ison

posted on 10/4/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Relay like to see some photos and/vids when she's sorted.
MK9R

posted on 10/4/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you are nearly there! When you eventually get there and get that race completed it will all feel worth it!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marky911

posted on 4/5/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Eddie, sorry to hear of your troubles. They fight you every step of the way these bloody Globals!
I've had the same sort of of story with mine. Started a few projects on it (newer style dash, rewire, new switches, gauges, clutch, etc, etc) 4 weeks ago.
I've worked relentlessly on it over the bank holidays finishing at 10pm on Sunday night for my trackday on Monday the 2nd.
Got to track, had briefing then went out on sighting laps. I couldn't go up the box for some reason! so tried to limp back round to the pits however, on trying a gearchange again it found a false neutral, then the gear, causing it to spin a wheel and smash the centre driveshaft!
So that's a new record for breakdowns, half a lap and head back home.
I don't know if you've managed to fabricate some sort of diff assembly but, I'm going to look into it. Globals eat driveshafts for breakfast. Fair enough I suppose since the car was designed to run a 100hp 600cc motor.
Anyway, excuse my rant. Just wanted to let you know there are fellow Global owners also thinking of attacking their cars with a hammer!
Anyway good luck! It should be ballistic with the kwacker motor in it!

ko_racer

posted on 4/5/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh, another Global. Be good to see a few more on track. (Including mine!)

I've certainly considered the can of petrol and match approach too, many times over the last couple of years!

Been thinking about a diff for a year or two now, but if all goes well with the engine at Snett in a few weeks it may be on my list to actually try. Finally got mine back together and on the rollign road last Friday, best use of the royal wedding day was driving to Harroagte at 4 in the morning.

You're deffinetly right about them eating driveshafts.
From what I can gather these cars were initally designed to have small 4 stroke engines and be used for fun. Still had the original kelgate brake brackets and sprocket carriers on mine when I bought it. Probably because they were so corroded into place!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 4/5/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
you going to be out at snetterton then keith???

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

ko_racer

posted on 4/5/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just sent my entry in today.

All being well I should be there. An all being even better I may (hopefully) actually finish a race meeting with an engine in one piece.

Marky911

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Keith,
I've browsed your website a few times when googling Global stuff.
What series are you lads racing in? 750MC bikesports? I'm trackdays only for a while yet but, if I ever get the thing reliable, I do aim to race. Being based just north of Newcastle upon Tyne adds a lot to costs and time though, Snetts 5 hours away and Brands is 6.
With regards to diffs I know Graham Hathaway now sells a cush drive set up with about 20mm play or so in it for about £300. Or there's the Quaife chain drive diff unit at £500+!
I was speaking to a guy at my trackday who hillclimbs and has built several OMS and Jedis. He uses diffs from a front wheel drive car, such as fiesta, fabricates a carrier and uses the pot joints and inner ends of the driveshafts welded to the outer ends from the car they're being fitted to. Quite a bit of work, but he swears by it.
I'm going to run mine standard until winter then go down this route, unless I try Grahams cush drive in the meantime and find it adequate.
Anyway, good luck for the rest of the year lads.
Mark.
PS Are you lads still on the Avons. I've just switched to Michelins. They're med/soft radials as opposed to hard Cross-ply Avons, that were on. I'm hoping to see an improvement with these, although it was hard to tell on my one-wheel drive, single warm-up lap.

ko_racer

posted on 5/5/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

We are racing in 750mc at the moment. One of the guys I used to race karts with is racing in OSS, but I think it's too expensive. £ per lap is similar but there is more track time so more cost.

My team mate has got the cush drive from GH, but he's not really noticed any difference. I don't plan on bothering with it and I'm not sure he would again. It seems well made, but I can't see the advantage, maybe it takes some shock load from the drivetrain, but i'm not sure.

I've seen a few places that do diffs for use with chain drive (Westgarage Engineering seems to be one of them)
My concern it the lack of space, we'd need a new fuel tank (if you have the larger one), which would probably struggle to get me through the 750mc race. Then a load of additional brackets/framework and new axle setup. Hopefully take a look if all goes weel engine wise.

I still use avons, but use the raidal versions, we've tried the really soft oones but they don't last long on track so have gone for a slighlty harder version. I much prefer the radial to the crossply tyres as does my team mate. We find them more similar to karting tyres which we are used to.

What's cost of the michelins like compared to avons?

Keith

[Edited on 5/5/11 by ko_racer]

Marky911

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know Keith, the Michelins are a similar price to the Avons when new, at about £150 a corner.
I don't buy new though as, like I say, I'm trackdays only at the minute.
I've found a lad that gets the Michelins from the Formula Renaults. I know buying used slicks can be a minefield, due to unknown number of heat cycles, etc, but these are great with loads of life left and only cost £15 a corner, so £60 a set, rather than £600.
I totally understand your comments regarding the cush drive. I said to my dad a cush drive will only help shaft life, whereas a diff will improve shaft life and more importantly, improve driveability. It's probably the route I'll go down next winter. However, the car has this summer to prove it can be reliable, or it could well be getting pedalled on.
I used to get to a lot of 750 meetings, as my mate used to race in the hothatch championship with an ex-BTCC peugeot 306. He races in the LMA and Classic thunder champs now though in a Ford Falcon Australian touring car.
One last thing, can you hold a slide in your Global? I find once the back of mine let's go, I'm just a passenger!

[Edited on 5/5/11 by Marky911]

ko_racer

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Once I got a relativly good setup and had a decent set of tyres (not the ancient cross ply tyres I had on before) on I could hold a slide fairly well, but once you get to a point it does just let go. I think the axle setup doesn't help this.
The condition of the slicks seems to be the biggest thing once you have good setup on these.
There are also a couple of variation on the steering rack ratio, the newer ones being slightly slower making them less twitchy, though once you are used to them there's not much in it.

Marky911

posted on 5/5/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right, thanks.
My setup is much better than when I bought the car, but still a bit to go. I'll just plod on and see how I get on with Michelins then.

eddie99

posted on 5/5/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry its taken me so long to properly reply, been very busy. A diff is definitely on our list to get on the car but isn't important at the moment..

We got it to harrogate on the rollers 2 weeks ago but had some engine mounting/tensioning issues. We now hope to have resolved this and are booked on the rollers next thursday... Giving us 10 days to do as much testing as possible before snett.

Back onto diffs.... From what i have heard, i would say not to use Quaife diffs, highly recommended for Front wheel drive cars, but not liked by rear drive cars. Looking at TranX plate type diff instead.

With regards to fuel tank, we want to move ours closer to the centre of the car but putting in the zx10r has stopped us putting it in behind driver so it might have to go down one of the side pods... but see below

Yep we are racing in bikesports 750mc... Keith - will your friend be out as well??? and Mark - it would be great to get more globals out there so enter some races

Tyres - i haven't even looked into... we still have 2 sets of used slicks and 2 sets of pretty much brand new wets.... How long are you guys finding the tyres last??? And they are avons.... We have been recommended Avon A11 slicks.

And we haven't even got onto the setup of the car... Haven't driven it long enough to see how good the setup is so cant comment on that:

In terms of the developments:

We have, Made some barge boards to clean up flow from from front splitter

Made some deflectors to smooth flow over the cockpit opening

Rear diffuser

Bigger front splitter

Currently designing a new chassis that's narrower, lighter, stiffer and with 400mm extra length in the back to accomodate centrally mounted fuel tank, better weight distribution, bigger rear diffuser, and LSD diff.

Also on the cars is a multi-plane rear wing.

progers

posted on 5/5/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

Back onto diffs.... From what i have heard, i would say not to use Quaife diffs, highly recommended for Front wheel drive cars, but not liked by rear drive cars. Looking at TranX plate type diff instead.

I can assure you a Quaife diff will be very effective and more than good enough for the global light. Radical use them and most of the mid engined cars in RGB (including me) use them also. They work very well in all but the most extreme conditions. Going the plated route is alot more dosh for very little gain.

- Paul

eddie99

posted on 5/5/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
quote:

I can assure you a Quaife diff will be very effective and more than good enough for the global light. Radical use them and most of the mid engined cars in RGB (including me) use them also. They work very well in all but the most extreme conditions. Going the plated route is alot more dosh for very little gain.

- Paul

Firstly thats the complete opposite to what i have heard... and secondly Tranx are £90 cheaper than Quaife.....

eddie99

posted on 5/5/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Spent some time this evening analysing the rear suspension. Interesting!

The roll centre is really low and moves about a lot with suspension travel. There is no camber gain either which must mean that it goes positive camber with roll and as there is a lot of roll couple that can't be good. For the new chassis we'll have much longer wishbones and i'll revise the position of the brackets on the chassis and try and keep the uprights etc the same yet improve things. Idea is to do a new and improved car modifying as few things as possible.

Changing the lower wishbone inboard pickups by an inch-ish makes a huge difference.

progers

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Firstly thats the complete opposite to what i have heard... and secondly Tranx are £90 cheaper than Quaife.....

Quaife diff for bike engined cars (fiesta type LSD and housing to encapsulate it) £550 + VAT

Tranx fiesta LSD (bare lsd without housing) £585 + vat

Don't always believe the pub talk, if Radical use it, it ain't all bad

- Paul

eddie99

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Up at the rollers today, 162 at the wheels so happy with that testing at snetterton tomorrow. Cant wait

scootz

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Were those louvres any use Eddie?

It's Evolution Baby!

eddie99

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Were those louvres any use Eddie?

Running tomorrow without any louvres, problem with your ones are they are slightly curved and we need them on a flat surface but we might still use them. Going to see how tomorrow goes first

scootz

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

ko_racer

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, think that's about 7hp more than I got from the r1

Hope all goes well testing.

I see the final instructions are out for the Snett race. Seems to only be 6 garages for about 12 cars, can easily get 2 cars per garage, especially the globals. Do you fancy sharing a garage if there's one free when we arrive, I can save a space if I get there first, though I'm not arriving 'til early Sunday am. Other than that we'll end up on the tarmac to the left of the garages.

Regards

Keith

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.