Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 Exhaust
Irony

posted on 23/5/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 Exhaust

I am trying to decide what to do about my Rover V8 Exhaust. I have a really good local stainless fabricator who has the jigs for my car so I will get a good price. Should I go with 5inch or 6inch silencers. I need to get through the IVA so he recomends 6inch to be sure. I have little experience with this sort of thing and I really only put the V8 in because I love the noise. I don't want the noise muted to Range Rover levels. Does anyone have any advice or ideas???
AdamR

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I went for long 4.5" diameter straight through silencers designed for an Aston Martin DB5. They fit well, were reasonably affordable (~£250 from ebay for the pair) and I thought the length (between 3 and 4' would get the noise down to a reasonable level.

However... according to my Maplin dB meter they are far too loud. Well over 100dB when revved. So I've now had to fabricate removable baffles etc etc to try and reduce the noise, and still have a ways to go before I'm within the limit. So if you're going for a straight though design then I'd def recommend the biggest diameter you can fit in.

Here's mine:
Mechanically complete at last
Mechanically complete at last

blakep82

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
i guess you could get some range rover silencers off ebay to quieten it right down for IVA, then swap for something a bit more fun, and better looking

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scudderfish

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a single Cherry Bomb on mine. Sounds lovely

Paul (Notts)

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
For IVA get the biggest ones you can because the limit is not that loud.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.