Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well P'd off!!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well P'd off!!

Got my proshaft today, opened it up, nice and new , went to trial fit it in the car and......

.....the damn flange is different to the one on the diff!

The holes don't line up. When I ordered the prop, I measured the distance between opposite holes and the diameter of the flange which I thought was enough. Trouble is, I wasn't aware that the damn holes are not equally spaced. Measured one way, i.e. top left hole to top right hole is one measurement, and from top right to bottom right is longer!

So now I'm screwed! Just emailed the manufacturer to see what I need to do next but I'm well dis-chuffed! I've had no time to work on the car recently, and it is as near as damn it ready for paint and the IVA application form, but I seem to be taking 2 steps forward and 4 steps back . I really wonder if I want to carry on with the damn thing at the minute, it's like everything is conspiring to stop me finishing it.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
i just told them what axle it was, and the length from gearbox oil seal to flange, and they did the rest

might be easy enough to undo the spider (think thats what they're called) in the UJ, and change just the part from there back?
should be easy enough to fix, if not an inconvenience

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Johneturbo

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
What diff is it, on the sierra diff when i line up the prop to diff the holes can be out as they are not the same distance apart, so a quarter turn sorts it out. i'm sure its not as simple as that with yours but
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's an English axle, 52" (not sure what car it's from). I measured the holes and the original measurement I gave was for opposite holes as I said in the original post, but the actual measurements between holes is this:

Description
Description

I also tried rotating through 90deg once I discovered the holes are not eqi-distant from the centre but still no good. The flange fitted to the propshaft is 45mm and 54mm so way-off

I've looked at the prop, and the joint is held together with circlips so I guess it would be a straight-forward job to swap the flange for the correct one, but will that give me a balance issue?

JB

JoelP

posted on 1/6/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
not a problem mate, though i do wonder where they got the flange from thats on it now. Surely they would realise if its dimensions they havent made before then it must be a mistake? Either way, tell them what axle it is and its an off the shelf part, and as you say, it just swaps with circlips. Shouldnt significantly affect balance either.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Johneturbo

posted on 1/6/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't have thought removing the rear flange and fitting a new one would give you balance proplems, as they normally fit the weights on the prop to counter the imperfectionss on the welds/tubes.

i've had to remove my rear flange oh-er to fit the bugger in the car

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
All I can hope now then is that I can get the correct flange, and they will exchange it, and I can fit it, and, and

This is one of the reasons I don't do the lottery. I'm not unlucky, it's just that if I fell into a pool of pillows, they'd be full of rocks!

blakep82

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
All I can hope now then is that I can get the correct flange, and they will exchange it, and I can fit it, and, and

This is one of the reasons I don't do the lottery. I'm not unlucky, it's just that if I fell into a pool of pillows, they'd be full of rocks!

or a pool of nipples and come out sucking your thumb

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Blake, that made me laugh and cheered me up a bit

paulf

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
There was 2 sizes of flange fitted to English diffs, I had a small flange fitted to mine but had to change it to the larger size as fitted to sierra diffs to suit my prop shaft luckily I had a spare diff with the correct flange so swapped the 2 over.
Paul
quote:
It's an English axle, 52" (not sure what car it's from). I measured the holes and the original measurement I gave was for opposite holes as I said in the original post, but the actual measurements between holes is this:

Description
Description

I also tried rotating through 90deg once I discovered the holes are not eqi-distant from the centre but still no good. The flange fitted to the propshaft is 45mm and 54mm so way-off

I've looked at the prop, and the joint is held together with circlips so I guess it would be a straight-forward job to swap the flange for the correct one, but will that give me a balance issue?

JB

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Paul, don't suppose you've got the smaller input flange you took off mate?

Liam

posted on 2/6/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
If I were you I'd get them to swap the flange yoke. They shouldn't charge much for it. Knowing your luck, if you did it yourself, all the needles would fall out all over the floor, you'd loose half of them, and damage the caps while you were at it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a4gom

posted on 2/6/11 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I got my prop shortened, one end fixed and one end exchanged by dunning and fairbank in leeds. When I picked it up I noticed the end they had exchanged wasn't right, I'd asked for an english fitting and they had fitted the large one not the small one. Took it back in and they swapped it for me there and then no hassle. No balance probs either

[Edited on 2/6/11 by a4gom]

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

paulf

posted on 2/6/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have but its now on the diff that I removed the larger one from, you have to be careful when swapping them to make sure the preload stays the same.I think your best bet would be to get the prop manufacturers to swap the yoke.
Paul
quote:
Hey Paul, don't suppose you've got the smaller input flange you took off mate?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/6/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a reply back from D & F, they are going to send me another flange and UJ. I'm sure I will be able to swap them over, I built the damn car from scratch for God's sake! (he said with confidence )

We will see.......

Just spent a couple of hours starting to prep the car for painting to try and take my mind off things

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.