Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5VY R1
wee beastie

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
5VY R1

Hi everyone
Hoping for some help. I'm running a Global GT which has a 4XV engine. This according to my Haynes manual it's the '98-'99 version. With the car I also took an injected 5VY version, which I was informed is a 2007 version. Is this correct? If not, what year is it?
It'll help me decide whether to swap the engines during the winter lay-up, or sell it and plan something else for my Global

They aren't cars, they are incline assault vehicles!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a4gom

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
04-06,
might be interested if your not using it as mine has developed a tick and I'm not sure i'll get too many more sprints out of it before it goes to its maker

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

wee beastie

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, much appreciated.
If that's correct then it'll going in over the winter.
Was concerned it was an '07 16v unit, which apparently aren't Global friendly
Bike engines & Global's are all new to me, so a learning curve gradually being climbed. A bit different from my old Westie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ko_racer

posted on 16/6/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Both the 5vy 04-06 and 4c8 07-08 are no good in the global

Don't waste your time with either. Between me and my team mate we've blow over 10 motors trying to find a fix. We are now changing to something else after wasting a small fortune.

If you want any more info drop me an email. Keith@koracing.co.uk

eddie99

posted on 16/6/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ian or Mark i take it??
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wee beastie

posted on 17/6/11 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Ian or Mark i take it??

Ian

wee beastie

posted on 17/6/11 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer

Don't waste your time with either. Between me and my team mate we've blow over 10 motors trying to find a fix. We are now changing to something else after wasting a small fortune.

Cheers Keith, have e-mailed you

TimC

posted on 17/6/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also be interested in the motor.

a4gom

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer

What you putting in Keith?

Andy

eddie99

posted on 17/6/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh ok Ian. As i said , stay away from those r1's, thats due to Keiths experiences so better to talk to him about whats gone wrong.

And i just got a U2U from keith saying he still hasn't decided what to put in it but im trying to persuade him zx10

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wee beastie

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Right, now I'm really bloody confused!

Having been to my workshop this morning, I spent some time with a work colleague who came to look at the Global. He's looked at my injected R1 unit, and tells me that it's a 4c8 unit.

So, the block has 5VY on it, and the head, TB's & inside the cam cover it has 4c8 (and 16 valves. I counted them!).

Any ideas?

a4gom

posted on 19/6/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
07 08 engine, same block, 16v instead of 20v head, slipper clutch and different brain.

Andy

Marky911

posted on 8/7/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi lads.

Keith I've sent you a mail regarding some of my Global queries. You'll probably see the mail before this though anyway. Cheers.

Wee Beastie..
Just wanted to let you know I have a Global too that had the 4XV motor in but, now runs the 5VY. This was fitted prior to me buying it last year and I've had a fair bit of bother. To be fair I've fitted my spare engine and it's been fine apart from other global issues, eg driveshafts snapping etc. Nothing too bad though.

Anyway, I'm far from an expert but have, since buying mine, carried out engine swaps, general repairs, fitted a new style dash inc. rewire and plumb in new gauges (with my dads help!) plus loads of other stuff, so basically, if you want any help or info, feel free to get in touch.

Like I say I'm no expert like Keith and Eddie but, at least you know there is someone else out there running a Global as it's a steep learning curve at times! and can sometimes get a bit tough when no-one else really knows the car or what you're talking about.
Graham Hathaway, who built the cars is a top notch bloke! He's full of info and friendly with it. I think I seen your car for sale with him? so I'm guessing you know him now.
The only problem is once these cars leave the racing scene (mine did and was used for sprints and trackdays for a few years) any Tom, Dick or Harry can muck about with them and butcher them, so when you ring Graham for advice obviously he can only help so much without seeing what has been done to the car. His info is still usually spot-on mind!
I'm based in Newcastle upon Tyne though so getting the car down to him would be a case of drop it off one week during winter and pick it up a few weeks later when he's had a poke about. I've not had a chance to do this yet but plan on getting him out to a trackday for setup etc. Let me know if you ever want him to do the same. It's £300 for the day but, that can be split by the number of people who want his help hence £150 each, if you ever wanted to do this.
I can't think of anything better than having the guy that developed and built the cars, have a drive of ours and then say what could be improved and how to do it.

Anyway, I hope yours goes well for you. They are awesome when they're working! Have fun!

Mark.
You can email me at - wapwap911@yahoo.co.uk Let me know when you've seen this though and I'll edit my email address out. No point leaving it floating around in cyberspace. Cheers.

wee beastie

posted on 9/7/11 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
HI Mark

Thanks for that. We're off on hols, so will read and reply in more details when I return ( and get back to tinkering again )

Ian

Marky911

posted on 9/7/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Ian, ok no probs. Have a good holiday!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.