Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: striker wheel offset?
INDY BIRD

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
striker wheel offset?

Hi all striker owners,

can anyone tell me the offset they run on there wheels for 15" wheels, also thats with the std arch,

anyone who runs a bigger/widers arch that raw offers on there car would be gratefull to know what offset you also run,

thanks all looking for another set of wheels for the track really thats all,

mine on the car presently have a et17 offset which seems very odd size??

thanks
sean

daniel mason

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
i can never get my head around the wheel offsets either. most run a sierra rear end but mnr use et23 like caterham but others run various different offsets on minilite type wheels with et 0 or thereabouts. think et 18 is fairly popular

narly_bail

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I rang Raw to ask what offset of wheels would be best before ordering my own and I was recommended et24 for a 7 inch wide rim. That was given the choice of et18 et24 or et35 in the wheels I was looking at.

Et23 or 24 is also a standard offset used by Westfield I believe.

Hope that helps,
James

INDY BIRD

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham is et24 offset and west field et35 as standard, I'm sure,

Just wondered if they use ford offset 35 or pug 38,

Also what to use on bigger arches,

No probs I'll ring raw if needed,just asking,

Thanks

loggyboy

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Caterham is et24 offset and west field et35 as standard, I'm sure,

Just wondered if they use ford offset 35 or pug 38,

Also what to use on bigger arches,

No probs I'll ring raw if needed,just asking,

Thanks

IIRC pug is much lower - about et10, (on some at least)

narly_bail

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield definitely supply et24 7*13 team dynamics pro race as this was what I was initially planning to fit.

Peugeot had different offsets depending on the model but a common wheel to fit to many kit cars utilising ford RWD parts are the 205 wheels which had an offset of et18. Unsure which models may have had et38 but I wouldn't be surprised to find newer cars with offsets around that area.

As you say the best bet is to ring RAW and confirm the sizes that it was initially designed for (I believe that to be 7*15 et24).

The wheels I have bought for my Striker are 7*13 et24 and 9*13 et0. Since you mention about fitting wider wheels for track. These were chosen due to the tyres I wanted to run. According to mr Allan Staniforth, one should first determine which tyre size to run. The wheel size is then ideally based on this, usually around 1 to 2 inches wider than the tread width. The reason for using et0 on the rear was to keep the same backspace (actually 1.4mm different) so as to prevent any rubbing on the rear. Obviously these may be fairly extreme for track use however they are ideal for hillclimbs.

Now I havn't actually tried these on the car yet so I certainly wouldn't recommend copying me, however I will be taking them up to RAW to test fit in the next couple of weeks to make sure.

If you google Richard Miles' Striker R1 build log you will also note that he uses similar sizes 6.5 and 8.5 et24 however I believe he ended up using a spacer on the rear wheels (unsurprising with et24 and that width).

Cheers,
James

INDY BIRD

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tried already to fit 13" wheels et 24 8" rims will not fit on the striker as hit wishbones etc,

How will you get 13" wheels to fit??

The wheels where cater ham r500 wheels so cleared callipers but go in to far and hit the wishbones etc,

Cheers for the advice though an is welcome,
Sean

narly_bail

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I know that RAW definitely do something differently when the car is intended to run 13" wheels. I believe that this involves modifications to the rear upright and possibly the wishbone too. Although having spoken to Andy Bates about it I dont think it needs many changes.

I am taking the wheels up to RAW so that the chassis and wishbones can be built around them to ensure that they fit. Martins face certainly dropped when I told him that I wished to run 13" wheels but for me it was just the only choice for sensible tyres.

Im not overly surprised that an r500 wheel did not fit and clashing with the wishbone is exactly what I would expect. et24 on an 8" rim would put it 1/2 an inch further inboard towards the wishbone than a 7" et24.

Was this the older r500 rim or the newer barnby split rims? just out of interest really.

jeffw

posted on 6/1/12 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
To run a 8" you need to be down to ET10 or even ET 0.

Dopdog

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have 9 x 15 with et20 on the back of my striker with the medium arches on. Just changed to 7 x 15 all round with 10mm spacers and et20, reason for this was advice and also to be able to rotate wheels around
JimSpencer

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

There's some very big wheel and tyre combo's on this list - very odd.

I would personally recommend sticking with 13's if you can make them fit, I'm running the Caterham 8 spokes (lightest single piece rim I could find) on my best set of tyres and have a spare set mounted on Minilights, both ET24 I think, and both 6's, I would only go to 15's for an out and out road tyre, and then I would stick with a 6.5 rim.
Certainly there's a very definate performance improvement to be had by sticking to the smaller rims, car handles much nicer too.

Secondly would be very wary of going over wide at the back, unless you're well over 200hp you should have more than enough grip on 6's and getting a balance into the chassis can be much harder, and makes it especially problamatic to rotate tyres round the car - which if it sees a track is very handy to do.

INDY BIRD

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to Martin today from raw and got some info on what to do,

13s look aout of the question as will have to do lots of mods to make them fit,

Shame as wether the wheels today,

15" wheels with 195 Toyota proxies 1 15.3 kg

13" 8 spoke catwrham wheels 6" with 185 only 9 kg what a weight saving ,

Never mind back to the 15 I will need a set of wheels for slicks now ,

Thanks all
Sean

bi22le

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I run 14" for both my road and track wheels. I think the roads are ET24, not sure about my track wheels but I run 10mm spacers with them.

My track wheels are very close to hitting the arches though when at Brands due to the wide track and without the spacers the caliper hits the wheel.

To get 13" to fit you need to modify the whole rear end including upright, wishbones and rose joint the lot!

14" may add a little weight saving but do limit tyre choice. Both my wheels are in the loft at the mo so I cant go and check.

Not much help but I just read this whole post so felt I should confuse matters further.

Ill go get another beer and hide for a bit. Friday night, dont know what you expect really!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

pekwah1

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have 13s on my striker!
Mine is a sylva and a live axle if that makes any difference...
Still think 14 is the way forward.. Would you be able to get some narrower wheels on?
I think mine are either 5.5 or 6J

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to Andy today on tisnsubject and he informed me that they rand rgb cars with 13 s but had to do mods and Rose joint etc, to get them in,

I will be knocking on his door to make up some new wishbones I think so I can run 13 s,

Thanks
Sean

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.