Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insurance 'its got a bike engine'
andyfiggy2002

posted on 6/3/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
insurance 'its got a bike engine'

why is it you go to one BEC insurance broker & then get a completely inflated price from another broker who uses exactly the same underwriter? as soon as you say 'its got a bike engine' its as though someone has bolted a saturn 5 rocket engine to the back end & an excuse to send the premiums into orbit, literally......i thought this loading thing was only for bike engines over 900cc & mines only 893cc....

parts only, F/C

frank pickles = £180
2gether = £100

both underwritten by Highway or LV

time to try 2gether me thinks & agreed value to

[Edited on 6/3/12 by andyfiggy2002]

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/3/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyfiggy2002
why is it you go to one BEC insurance broker & then get a completely inflated price from another broker who uses exactly the same underwriter? as soon as you say 'its got a bike engine' its as though someone has bolted a saturn 5 rocket engine to the back end & an excuse to send the premiums into orbit, literally......i thought this loading thing was only for bike engines over 900cc & mines only 893cc....

parts only, F/C

frank pickles = £180
2gether = £100

both underwritten by Highway or LV

time to try 2gether me thinks & agreed value to

[Edited on 6/3/12 by andyfiggy2002]

Good Luck................

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/3/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend you don't put a turbo on it. Turbo and bike engine seems to really get them going!
franky

posted on 6/3/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I its worth paying an extra £80 to go with frank pickles. 2gether are a bunch of clowns who can't even get the basics right. God knows what it'd be like if you had to claim through them.
Johneturbo

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
what also annoys me about insurance companys is when they ask what your best quote is! never mind what i've been quoted give me your best price ffs!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
F+J had the same outlook, which was depressing.
Not only them, but so many others.

"It's a GSXR1000 powered Westfield"
- "I've got 'MegaBlade' on the list"
"Yep, it's one of those, exactly, with a 988cc Suzuki, not a Honda Fireblade, which is where the 'Blade thing comes from"
- "So its not a Megablade, oh, it's a MegaBusa"
"No, thats 1300cc"
- "So it's modified?"
"It's a Kit Car!"
- "Errr..., Oooo, I'll call you back with a quote"

some time later... a call... many hundred pounds.

I then SORN'd, bought some slicks, went tracking and never looked back.

SausageArm

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
I'd recommend you don't put a turbo on it. Turbo and bike engine seems to really get them going!

I noticed that when I rang around for my insurance too!

bobinspain

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Got 2 quotes here in Spain.
Liberty---1,200 euros (yes, twelve hundred and I'm 63 with full NCB).
Zurich, through a broker 345 euros.

No other insurance company/broker I contacted would even quote.

andyfiggy2002

posted on 6/3/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
so does anyone have a good word for 2gether & anyone made a claim under them?? your getting me worried guys

to be honest i'm pretty annoyed with frank pickles as i put out good vibes a year ago LINK that they were very cheap even though i was out of work & couldn't afford to run the car at the time, the only difference with then & now is i have a job & yesterday i did it on-line, big mistake doing it on-line, the guy says it must have been because last year i didn't declare it was a bike engine, well hello, .........m-e-g-a-b-l-a-d-e............. f-i-r-e-b-l-a-d-e......the clues in the title, cheers for doubling the price pal

paulf

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have been with 2gether for the last 3 years and had no problems but have never claimed either.
In the event of a claim I dont see why the broker would make any difference, surely you would deal with the underwriters in that case either LV or Highway?
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by andyfiggy2002
so does anyone have a good word for 2gether & anyone made a claim under them?? your getting me worried guys

to be honest i'm pretty annoyed with frank pickles as i put out good vibes a year ago LINK that they were very cheap even though i was out of work & couldn't afford to run the car at the time, the only difference with then & now is i have a job & yesterday i did it on-line, big mistake doing it on-line, the guy says it must have been because last year i didn't declare it was a bike engine, well hello, .........m-e-g-a-b-l-a-d-e............. f-i-r-e-b-l-a-d-e......the clues in the title, cheers for doubling the price pal

Stott

posted on 6/3/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't even get an answer from 2gether to get a quote, so I thought, what chance have I got if I need to claim.

Went with someone else in the end.

The Venom Project

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have used MSM, they offered exactly what I wanted, were the cheapest and actually understand what a reverse trike was, Footman James were useless, they couldn't insure me once they knew the engine was mounted behind the seats, then proceeded to send me a letter why I had not considered them for insurance :-)

My quote was a bargain, a fresh policy, valued at £12K, £388 fully comp with an after market exhaust and this includes breakdown recovery to my house.

I wont be hunting around when I come to insure it at the end of the month.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

andyfiggy2002

posted on 7/3/12 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for the advice guys, with frank pickles what are others having to pay for their sub 900cc BEC,s with F/C parts only cover?
owelly

posted on 7/3/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
The broker won't make a difference if you need to claim, unless they have put the wrong details on the policy which the underwriters will look at. 2gether totally screwed-up my Bongo policy and then charged me extra for putting it right!!

[Edited on 7/3/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh_

posted on 7/3/12 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
When I had the fury (fireblade) the I made a lot of enquries about insurance, being only 20 it wasn't particular cheap. From a number of the brokers mentioned in this thread I was told BECs are weighted about 1.8 vs a similarly powered CEC. So paying £180 for a years insurance doesn't sound too bad!

I think contaminated (dan) may have been with 2gether when he claimed a couple of years ago, he was very pleased with the outcome and his insurance went down the following year...

x_flow57

posted on 7/3/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I its worth paying an extra £80 to go with frank pickles. 2gether are a bunch of clowns who can't even get the basics right. God knows what it'd be like if you had to claim through them.

+1

maccmike

posted on 7/3/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I use adrian fluxes kit car branch.
trikes a one off so struggled to get people to acknowledge it.
all they wanted was engine/purchase price/money spent and 6 pictures.
zzr1100. 31. driveway. 4/5years ncb cant remember. £250. 3k per yr

tony-devon

posted on 7/3/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
insurance makes me laugh

its a Q plate, one off built from scratch by me, and they ask me to declare if its been modified from the manufacturers specification??

well i am the manufacturer, so no it hasnt LOL

thing is that kitcars and custom builds etc are a pretty safe bet in my opinion

I bet that not many get pinched, too much risk of being noticed etc, they are generally speaking in my opinion better maintained and thus safer than knackered ol tintops out on the road

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 7/3/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have been with 2gether insurance for the last 3 years too, and I am fairly pleased with them so far.

I should get a discount now, when I renew in a couple of months.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I was with 2gether and never had a problem and paid a cheap price. I had agreed value and if I had needed to have made a claim I would have dealt directly with the underwriter.

Mark

Tiger Avon

andyfiggy2002

posted on 7/3/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
spoke to a couple of brokers who say they load if its over 900cc, so my 893cc is ok, however the next incarnation up, the 919cc with a smidgen more HP gets loaded, i really think it ought to be done on HP myself
richard thomas

posted on 7/3/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sureterm did me a good deal.....worth a call.....
2GETHER INS

posted on 15/3/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
The majority of underwriters will load the premium if a bike engine is declared regardless of engine size unfortunately. We do have several underwriters on our panel which allows us to be competitive without compromising on cover.

@ franky, First and foremost I am sorry that you feel the service at that time did not meet your expectations. If this was the case this most certainly would not meet the high level of expectations we set ourselves. If you could let me have further details of the issue, I would be happy to look into this further. We are always looking at ways we can improve our service.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you anybody has any queries as I'm here to help.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jerryscales

posted on 3/4/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
insurance

What a scam............no no-claims and only been back in the uk for a short time from NZ, and with a 900 kwacker engine , Wade supercharger and NOS (245bhp in a three wheel reverse trike) the robbers should wear a mask !!! £1100 TPFT.
aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.