Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: looking for an inline thermostat? and flow restriction Q
tony-devon

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
looking for an inline thermostat? and flow restriction Q

Hi, all, I figured that if anyone would know, then someone on here most probably would

I have a bike engine in my build, but the manufacturers in their wisdon put the thermostat right up on top, stood a mile above the cam cover and was in the way of my proposed frame tubing

so I removed it

however now Im thinking that maybe I should look for an alternative thermostat, is there such a thing as maybe one that goes inline somewhere?

and do thermostats restrict flow at all even when they are fully open?

someone mentioned that as I have removed mine, they reckon the coolant could be circulating too quickly and not actually cooling?

thanks

Tony

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Myke 2463

posted on 12/3/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have noted from somewhere that Rover SD1 unit QTH 234 used to be a favourite, might be too big for your hoses

Be Lucky Mike.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thermostats normally do provide some restriction even when open, and this can affect the flow of the water through the block and head. When removing the thermostat in e.g. a mini you have to fit a special collar to ensure the cylinders at the other end of the head don't overheat. Always best to have a thermostat.

The Rover thermostat is a PRT (Pressure Relief Thermostat) that opens not only under high temperature, but also under pressure which ensures you still have some coolant flow if the engine is revved hard when the thermostat is closed.

This is the one:

New Land Rover Freelander / Discovery thermostat | eBay

tony-devon

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks, time to have a look into them and how they get plumbed in

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a brand new freelander one in a box if you are interested? it's the PRT type.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.