Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type9 gearlever extension
RoadkillUK

posted on 5/4/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Type9 gearlever extension

I meant to get some photo's of this while making it, but you just get to 'into it'

Took me all day but I've done it, the hardest part was getting the reverse indent to work ... after that, the tab for the reverse switch was a bit of a pain too, but if I'd welded that in the right place it would have been fine.

Gearlever Extension
Gearlever Extension

Gearlever Extension
Gearlever Extension

Gearlever Extension
Gearlever Extension

Cost me £20 for the bar turning locally, the rest was scrap.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 6/4/12 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
You have made a nice job of that
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wombat

posted on 6/4/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good, any chance of more info?
gavin174

posted on 6/4/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
have you broken the rear casing to make it fit...

or was it already broken.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

tul214

posted on 6/4/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
You don't have to break anything. There is a tin blanking plate that you have to remove.

I followed Davids plans too but I see you have not used a bush for the shaft. I didn't either but after about a year it started to rattle so I did eventually retro fit a nylon bush.

This solution works better than the Westfield extension because it is a DIRECT extension and not just a series if levers.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Looks tidy.

I'd also recommend a bush, and I was making another I'd put a thin tube down from the top plate to just above that bush, for occasional oiling - just a thin tube of 1 or 2 mm inside diameter. At the moment I have to take the gearstick off to get at it during the annual check-over, but with a tube I'd only have to pull the gaiter back and put a few drips in.

Also - put your propshaft in the back of the gearbox and check that you have clearance between the first UJ and the underneath of your mechanism - mine's VERY tight for space, and you'd really be swearing if you find that there's no clearance when you're putting everything in the car!

RoadkillUK

posted on 6/4/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, I've only gone for a 4" extension, I hope that's enough.

@Gavin, the gearbox was broken anyway and the 'tin plate' mentioned was missing.
@tul214, I see what you mean about the bush, but I didn't have the part, I've stuck some grease on there for now, let's see how long it lasts
@DavidJenkins, Thanks for the plans and I have checked the clearance with the propshaft in.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.