Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen - possible or over hopeful ?
Not Anumber

posted on 20/5/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen - possible or over hopeful ?

Now the weather has fnally got reasonable enough to be outside working on the Mk Indy Ive just tried to fit the screen I bought a month or so back from Duck on the forum and had a bit of a surprise.

It's amazing how far out things can be even though the measurements look fine on paper, a lot seems to depend on the curvature of the scuttle- very curved on the Indy, not so curved on the car the screen apparently came from, a Robin Hood S7.

Has anyone here had experience of making screens fit- does this look remotely feasible or would i be better of putting it down to experience/ communication and saving up for another windscreen ?

Simon

posted on 20/5/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Keep brackets off the ends and start glass/frame from scratch - it'll be quicker in the end

ATB

Simon

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/5/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Simon. You could make the frame the correct size then get the galss cut donw to the correct size.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

austin man

posted on 20/5/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a perspex flyscreen, you will find a lot of beffeting with a screen fitted. MK used to have their screens made for them, the Robin hood 2b is a wider car across the scuttle Ibelieve

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

stevegough

posted on 20/5/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Your scuttle looks very similar to mine - I bought a screen assembly from robin hood at Newark show a couple of years ago (£110). This was off another robin hood - I believe the Zero is the current equivalent model. - Its now £165.

Without a lot of grief, you aren't going to get that 2B screen to fit.

Link to kitspares (the new parts section of RH)....link

This was mine before assembling:

and after....

can do you some measurements if you like, (tomorrow as I'm off to work now.)

Hope this is of some help.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Not Anumber

posted on 20/5/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
That would be great if you could. Ive heard the weather gear from the GBS/Robin Hood Zero can be made to fit the MK so it would be relly useful if the Zero windscreen could fit the MK Indy scuttle too.
Westy1994

posted on 20/5/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue a while back, got a screen and it was a bit big, as it happened the curve of the lower section almost matched my scuttle, all I did was make up a small infill piece, it may not be to everyones taste, but I am happy with it.

[img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Tried uploading to locost gallery and it was not having any of it, despite it being a jpg file.

theduck

posted on 20/5/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just sen your u2u! Wasn't expecting that! Sorry it didn't work out, measurements all seemed ok, but it seems your scuttle tapers differently to mine.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/5/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The windscreen frame has to be right or it all looks s***
It's a really big part of the car.
As for the buffeting my design of the side wind deflector sorts out those issues.
The problem is the pedal box in the Mk is in the wrong place and everything beyond that ends up in the wrong place.
I will see if I have a picture of my old car with the winddeflectors

zetec

posted on 20/5/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue so did a cut and shut and had a new piece of glass cut. I fitted a small bridging section inside U section and glued in place. Sounds a bodge but it is almost invisible and the glass is the main strength. Still good after 10K miles so seems to work! Glass cost £60 from local windscreen suppliers and is laminated.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

stevegough

posted on 21/5/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
That would be great if you could. Ive heard the weather gear from the GBS/Robin Hood Zero can be made to fit the MK so it would be relly useful if the Zero windscreen could fit the MK Indy scuttle too.

Ok, a bit of measuring - difficult to measure thing, though.....

From the top.....

width near the top of the screen, where the top corners finish and the sides start (sort of .... 'ish' ) is 820 mm.
width at the bottom of the screen - (corner join to corner join) is 910 mm.
width of the widest part of the scuttle where it joins the chassis rails and also the bottom of the dash is 1070 mm.

On another point you make - I have actually fitted a GBS Zero hood + doors to mine - I had to modify the poles a little as the zero is slightly bigger - it isn't a brilliant fit, but its adequate - see my archive for pics - though I've just noticed I haven't taken any final pics with it on. I'll take some tomorrow - it actually ended up a bit slack at the back corners, but I've driven the car at 100 with it on with no problems.

Luego Locost C20XE.

stevegough

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Zero roof pic

Just put the roof on to take a photo or two - ..... as you can see, its not the greatest fit...

Luego Locost C20XE.

Not Anumber

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
But it looks like it does the job pretty well. If you dont mind my asking what did thst lot come to ?
stevegough

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
But it looks like it does the job pretty well. If you dont mind my asking what did thst lot come to ?

the windscreen was £110 and the hood / doors was £500 - the question is - how near are those measurements to the INDY?

Luego Locost C20XE.

Not Anumber

posted on 26/5/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your guidence Steve and for your measurements and photos. It convinced me to approach GBS who confirmed they have sold large numbers of Zero windscreens to Indy owners plus several sets of weather gear. I'm now trying to negotiate a package price with them for the screen and weather gear together.

I'd be interested in knowing how wide the Luego cockpit is ?
The Indy is approx 42 1/2" (108cm) accross the outside of the side panels at the front, just by dashboard and the same at the back, behind the seats. It's slightly coke bottle shaped, half an inch narrow if measured accross the centre of the cockpit near handbrake, though this isn't visible.

Thanks again

stevegough

posted on 26/5/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
1068 mm at front, centre (near handbrake) and behind the seats. - straight as a straight thing. Two points to take in to account - the shape of the door is matched to the zero's side - which is lower at the back than the front. See the pic at the top of their page -----> gbs

The other major difference was the roll - over bar has VERTICAL sides on the Zero, mine has SLOPING sides - it causes a problem as mine finish just 10mm in from the edge of the chassis - It causes a bit of a problem as the tubes can't fold down flat.

Some more info in this thread - I extended the tubes slightly to help the fit. -----> Stevegough

Luego Locost C20XE.

jonrotheray

posted on 22/6/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Screen

Not a number - you have U2U....!!!

Jon

Custardpants

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tired a brooklands aeroscreen or similar? I have an mra x screen mounted onto my mac aeroscreen and I honestly wouldn't want a windscreen over it, even at over 80mph, with only sunglasses on too? I'll get some
Pics for you...

Not Anumber

posted on 25/6/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its a good suggestion and Ive seriously thought about the aeroscreen route as so many people have good experiences of them. Sadly it's not an option for me though as I'm planning to use it all year and I dont have a garage. With a windscreen and hood in place i can park it in the drive and throw a cover over it. Without a hood Ive so far had to put some plywood acrross the cockpit to stop the cover filling with water and taking the shape of the car's interior.
stevegough

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tell you what.....some total idiot has made this thread terribly difficult to follow by posting such MASSIVE pictures! What a muppet!

Luego Locost C20XE.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Tell you what.....some total idiot has made this thread terribly difficult to follow by posting such MASSIVE pictures! What a muppet!

I like the muppets!!!!! I used to keep miss piggy

Don't be so hard on your self the car looks great on a 27 inch Mac

SteveWalker

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
I agree with Simon. You could make the frame the correct size then get the galss cut donw to the correct size.

It's most likely toughened glass and cutting will just disintegrate it.

SteveW

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

It's most likely toughened glass and cutting will just disintegrate it.

SteveW

i have the jigs for the indy theres a top frame kicking about the work shop if you send me the base rail i could make it for you but you would have to source the glass and its not going to be able to be done anytime soon due to issues beyond my control.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.