Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew...
David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew...

...especially when B&Q are involved!

I wanted to respray some bits of my car that have recently been modified. In the past I've used Plastikote satin black paint, simply because it's easy to apply and doesn't chip if knocked.

I went to B&Q because that's where I've bought it previously, even though they're a bit expensive at £6.98. Today I find that they're selling a different make (Rustoleum) at £7.95 - for the same quantity in the spray can.

In the end I got Plastikote in a local branch of "The Range" - at a cost of £4.95!

Over and over again I find that B&Q are way more expensive than elsewhere - I really must learn my lesson and never darken their doors again...

mookaloid

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not commenting on the B&Q price but rustoleum isn't bad paint

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

macc man

posted on 12/9/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I sometimes have to use B&Q or Wickes and have noticed a huge hike in prices. Seems they are selling less, so have to make more from the punters who use them. I tend to use Toolstation or Screwfix when possible. Huge price saving.
David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
I sometimes have to use B&Q or Wickes and have noticed a huge hike in prices. Seems they are selling less, so have to make more from the punters who use them. I tend to use Toolstation or Screwfix when possible. Huge price saving.

I believe that Screwfix are now owned by B&Q

sdh2903

posted on 12/9/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

I believe that Screwfix are now owned by B&Q

Have been for quite some time

martinq357

posted on 12/9/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

+1.....

Just fitted a new kitchen and have been spending in all of the above, where possible i've been using toolstation as they tend to be cheaper than screwfix (who aren't too bad anyway..).

tegwin

posted on 12/9/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you are after cheapish black spray paint the halfords own branded stuff is pretty good for sticking to most things! Blow it over with some clear laquer after and it looks pretty good. Used it loads!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

JoelP

posted on 12/9/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
As i understand it, the people who set up screwfix sold it to kingfisher (who own pee&poo), and then set up toolstation. Id agree that toolstation is usually a touch cheaper than screwfix, but it does pay to have both catalogues!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

richard thomas

posted on 12/9/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Given the amount of people that visit B&Q on a weekend, I think they have the luxury of having a market who would not consider shopping anywhere else, hence they hike up the prices with a confidence that they will sell anyway....? I have to admit that when in a rush, as the nearest supplier of DIY goods to my Gaff I have bought from there as a convenience....
JoelP

posted on 12/9/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Its easy enough to get a tradepoint card from b&q, which makes the prices similar to screwfix, but with the benefit of a much larger range of building materials.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 12/9/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Its easy enough to get a tradepoint card from b&q, which makes the prices similar to screwfix, but with the benefit of a much larger range of building materials.

When I was doing a bit of DIY around the house and urgently needed a sheet of Kingspan or Celotex insulation. 8' x 4' x 3" was £45 ... or £23 with my tradecard.

You have to watch out though, sometimes the trade price is still far more than Toolstation and even than B&Q's own non-trade offers!

SteveW

snakebelly

posted on 13/9/12 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
look out for the deals is the best way to shop at B&Q, recently they were doing 3 paints for the price of 2, bought some of that rustoleum myself, at the 3 for 2 price it wasn't so bad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.