Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator not charging when hot.
Nitrogeno25

posted on 7/10/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator not charging when hot.

I bought a daihatsu hijet alternator for my Duratec (inlet side) and at first it seems to work OK. Charging at 14.7v from when revved. The I noticed that about 1500rpm and higher, lights starts dimming and voltage fluctuates from 14.3 to 14.7v.

Now when I let the engine idle for 15-20 minutes the alternator stops charging. The charging light on the dash is off (it is on before starting the engine).

Any ideas? I suspect from the voltage regulator as the charging light doesn't come on when the alt stops charging

Thank you very much!

ElmrPhD

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Define "...stops charging..."

If it's done its job and the battery is fully charged, then, in fact, if SHOULD "stop charging"...until it detects a low enough voltage to start charging again.

If the light on the dash stays off while in operation (and you've observed it passing the "test" of coming on when the ignition is first switched on) then the lamp works and that exciter circuit is good. Then, dash light off during operation means that either side of that dash light is not too far from 13 V.

Also, "light starts dimming" suggests that the light was already on fully and then started dimming at "1500 rpm and higher". Is that what you mean? Cuz that would contradict "it seems to work ok". I'm confused. Oh, right, haven't had the morning coffee, yet - ignore me...

Steve,
in the NLs

pmc_3

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've never known any car to detect its charged and stopped charging. As the OP said it will normally sit at around 14.5v and keep trickle charging when running, voltage only dips a bit when light etc are turned on.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Check the belt tension, might seem stupid, but I had a similar issue with varying voltage a while back (see previous posts) and it turned out to be a slack alternator belt.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

r1_pete

posted on 8/10/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is your battery actually going flat?

I'm interested to know how you know it has stopped charging??

My Denso Alternater also from a Diahatsu, behaves much the same, with a voltmeter across the battery:

At idle 650 rpm there is barely 12v showing.

Lift the engine off idle and it rises to 14.5 - 7 v

Higher up the rev range it sits between 14.4 - 6

I thought my voltages were a bit high, but raising the question on here the denso alternators do run a bit higher voltage than most.

I have had no battery discharge problems.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nitrogeno25

posted on 8/10/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think battery is OK, engine starts every time, measured 12.4v before starting the engine.

I know the alternator stopped charging because my volt gauge shows 12v and not 14.4 like it was showing in the first minutes after starting the car.

If can let the engine running, but after 15 minutes I tested with a DMM and the voltage at the battery is very slowly decreasing (fuel pump and light on).

I also suspect that there is something wrong, because the charge light doesn't come one when I stop the engine and put the ignition on again.

Belt tension is OK, belt and tensioner are new.

Thanks again!

pmc_3

posted on 8/10/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Connections all ok? Engine earth strap good?
ElmrPhD

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, that's some weird symptoms. Something is seriously screwy with your alternator and/or regulator.
I agree that you should check your earth/ground, especially of the alternator as that really needs to be a solid circuit and may explain the weirdness with the light.
Otherwise, a broken winding inside the alternator that contacts enough when cold, but then separates with heat might explain your symptoms...a bit.
To check your battery, see if the voltage at its terminals stays above 11 while cranking the engine. If it goes below 10 V, then the battery is bad and you're wasting your time trying to diagnose an electrical system with a bad battery.
Good luck!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.