Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cush drives / drive donut
carnut

posted on 16/9/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
cush drives / drive donut

Does any1 know a source for these. Im trying to protect my blackbird gearbox from showk loads down the driveline.
hortimech

posted on 16/9/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
try yellow pages under bearing suppliers, they usually sell that sort of thing, but they are really meant as a sort of universal joint so shafts dont have to be exactly inline. from what you are saying you really want some form of slip clutch.

Why does everything happen to me

theconrodkid

posted on 16/9/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
seirra has a donut on the front of its prop

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Tblue

posted on 16/9/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rear wheel drive Alfas have them on the prop, Triumph used them on their swing axles, as mentioned Sierras have them on the g/box output and many others.

Have a look here for a large selection, they're under propshafts and rotoflex couplings.

alister667

posted on 16/9/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I havea friend who used the rubber donut off a sierra on their blackbird westfield. I don't think it was a good job, I'm pretty sure it started to vibrate badly and they had to remove it. Mind you these lads are on their 4th engine as well, so I reckon it held up OK!
What I did was have a layer of rubber placed between the inner and outer of my propshaft. That way the drive goes through a rubber stage, but it won't vibrate or go off centre.
My propshaft was custom made for me by Gregory Propshafts of Newry (NI) and cost 200 quid.

[Edited on 16/9/04 by alister667]

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisf

posted on 17/9/04 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures/explaination

I am nearing this stage of my Blade locost build. I'm having a hard time visualizing these rubber doughnuts I suppose I will need. Does anyone have pics?

Also, can someone take the time to explain what it does? Does it just limit propshaft vibration? No excessive drivetrain lash?

--Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 17/9/04 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Cush Drive

Same issue confronts me - except the engine/propshaft is in!
Try this lot - they are top notch engineers: http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/gearboxes-and-couplings.htm

Bob C

posted on 17/9/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think lots of folk don't bother with any "softness" in the drivetrain, I'd imagine it will be slightly less "clangy" with a bit of resilience. The sierra donut has a locating pilot bush in the middle to be failsafe and reduce vibration, I think the alfa is the same. The sierra donut is incredibly stiff so might not work so well as an original rotoflex. These were used in the driveshafts of imps and fwd triumphs. Lotus elans had a couple in each driveshaft but they were later replaced by a much harder donut in the sprints, effectively increasing the spring rate at the rear considerably!
Bob C

lugo35

posted on 17/9/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
donuts yum

GKN make that sort of thing for 4x4's try there web site might have what ya looking for. andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.