Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Soldering Iron Recommendation
BigDawgV8

posted on 28/12/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Soldering Iron Recommendation

Hi All,

Just before Xmas I managed to blow up my old soldering iron......it was 15 years old so I can't complain!

I am looking for a replacement. I have always used the 'pistol-type' irons, but none of the High Street places seem to sell them anymore. Plenty on the web.

Before I splash the cash can anyone recommend a particular make/model, stick or pistol-type soldering iron?

I will have one more look in the shops tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Martin

trextr7monkey

posted on 28/12/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Machine mart doa pistol thing but it isn't the last word in ergonomic design, at work we have 20 low voltage Antex soldering irons- low voltage is to keep kids safe (You won't need that ) and we always get silicon cables, they are easy to use heat up quickly and easy to replace/ change bits and if necessary repair- you can getall spare parts from Rapid which is handy
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't used any of my electric soldering irons since getting a gas powered one from Snap On.
britishtrident

posted on 28/12/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Weller is the manuafacturer of the original instant heat gun type although there have been imitators over the years (Woolworth used to sell a similar style fairly good cheap gun :-( )

Also the straight type soldering irons that Lidl have are pretty good.

Gas powered irons are good but they eat soldering tips which are nearly as expensive as a new iron.

[Edited on 28/12/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

paulf

posted on 28/12/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used antex irons for normal electronic work and also have a Weller 100 watt heavy duty iron as well as a couple of gas irons a Weller one and an unbranded one.As stated Antex are good quality and spares are easily available , the gas ones do tend to overheat and burn out the tips quickly but are ideal for just making a couple of quick joints when working on the car.
Paul

SteveWalker

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I use two differint irons - for electronics an Antex 15W iron and for heavier stuff, such as connectors, a Weller 60W Magnastat iron. One iron will not sensibly cover both applications, either you'll struggle with heavier stuff or overheat lighter stuff.
ashg

posted on 29/12/12 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
Oki Metcal if your serious about electronics. I have a Metcal sp200 have not used anything that gets even close to it. almost instantly hot (around 10 seconds) and self regulates power input to keep the tip temperature stable. they are so good they dont even need to be annually calibrated to meet military or medical standards as you just swap out the tip.

they are about £400 new but if you keep an eye out on ebay you can nabb a second hand one for anywhere between £50-200

Metcal SP200 Industrial Soldering Iron - great condition! Look now!

edit....

p.s the sp200 with the correct tip in it (about £12 each) can solder a 0.4mm leg on a IC or a 0 gauge power cable the thickness of your thumb

[Edited on 29/12/2012 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

kwakkwak6

posted on 4/1/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I use Weller . Use them for electronics small laptop stuff and for bike loom use . Absolutely rock solid .
Fatgadget

posted on 17/2/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
There is Weller and then there is Weller again!..But truth be told,on a budget, Antex is pretty good....I must confess I use a el cheapo Tool-lab temperature adjustable solder station retro fitted with a Weller PT7 tip!...Yes Weller tips fit on these solder stations!
splitrivet

posted on 22/2/13 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Antex all day long, but the gun type are a bit of the rave from the grave, Ive had a Lidl gun type for donkeys but dont like it. Gas is the way to go for amateur use and conveniance.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Not Anumber

posted on 22/2/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Ive had a Lidl gun type for donkeys but dont like it.

Didnt know Lidl sold DIY beef lasagne kits now ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.