Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Existing Bike alarm and IVA
R1FREESTYLE

posted on 19/6/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Existing Bike alarm and IVA

I am using an engine and loom with removed from 2001 R1 for my build. I am currently re-organising the loom to fit the car and as such I am checking the IVA requirements.

I am reading with some concern the parts around the need for documentary evidence of compliance where an alarm is fitted.

The bike came with an alarm fitted (pretty sure by the way its spliced in to the loom its non-standard), which on initial tests still works fine with its remote key fob.

Due to the fact it still arms/disarms fine and I suspect that it immobilisers the ignition I thought it was a nice bonus!

However due to the fact I am unsure of the make (nothing on the sounder or keyfob as I recall) I am now concerned about how difficult/expensive it is to get it officially tested and documented.

starting to thing I need to investigate cutting it out with a view to re-fitting it a later date.

Just seems a lot of work for something I percieved as a benifit to the vehicle.

Has anyone else come across this problem? or got any suggestions/solutions/fixes?

Thanks

Paul

Pokin the grim reaper with a stick........then running away!

Slimy38

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Can you trace one of the original owners and see who had it fitted? Or even where the bike was supplied from, as a lot of bikes get their alarms fitted before they hit the road.
R1FREESTYLE

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Afraid not, engine came from right off, no history of previous owners.

Read this with interest on the Ultima specific IVA guide.

"Don’t have your alarm fitted for the test unless it's VSIB approved as manufactured and installed and signed off by a VSIB registered fitter. The IVA test requires you to supply documents to prove that the alarm meets both of these criteria. If you need your alarm fitted because it works your central locking or is a vital part of your immobiliser then remove/disable the sounder only and tick ‘no’ when asked if an alarm is fitted on the IVA form"

Any ideas if this would stick?

Reading the IVA guide again, I no longer need evidence for the Imobiliser part of the alarm, so would I be allowed to fiddle with key fobs before turning the ignition on?

It all seems a bit flaky to me...

theduck

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking to disable the alarm element and use the immobiliser as one of the security measures. I've fitted an immobiliser to my build so key and immobiliser fulfil IVA requirement for security.
R1FREESTYLE

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
So by disable alarm element, do we think, get the lid off the box and disconect one of the speaker wires will do?

Or will the inquisitive chap at the test centre see through this?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/6/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be an aftermarket alarm on that vintage, probably a Datatool or somesuch. Recognisable as being an unusually large black rectangular box with a speaker in one corner. All the wires to it will be all be helpfully black. Cobra also created something in that era, looking rather similar.

Normally, by now, they're unreliable, cutting the ignition on the apex of a roundabout..... or simply not allowing the bike to start.

It can be simply removed. Chop the unit and loom out completely.

Newer R1's (Euro) came with a key transponder set-up, which is reliable, if a tad bulky.

loggyboy

posted on 19/6/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Providing there are no loose leads that could lead him to think its an alarm, or that it could be made back in to an alarm, i dont think you would notice the difference.
Key fob + box of tricks = imobilser, + sounder + trigering device(s)= alarm.

Mistral Motorsport

R1FREESTYLE

posted on 19/6/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
It'll be an aftermarket alarm on that vintage, probably a Datatool or somesuch. Recognisable as being an unusually large black rectangular box with a speaker in one corner. All the wires to it will be all be helpfully black. Cobra also created something in that era, looking rather similar.

Normally, by now, they're unreliable, cutting the ignition on the apex of a roundabout..... or simply not allowing the bike to start.

It can be simply removed. Chop the unit and loom out completely.

Newer R1's (Euro) came with a key transponder set-up, which is reliable, if a tad bulky.

pretty much spot on, all black wires (very unhelpful) bulky black box with red line around midline and speaker at one end. Dont want to cut it out if I can, appears to work fine at the moment, yet to test it mid apex....

Will explore getting the box apart, accessing the speaker and disguising it a little.

doobrychat

posted on 19/6/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
i had fitted a toad immobiliser for my kit.. the IVA never ask to see any evidence of documents or fitment of it...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.