Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: desktop engine
skydivepaul

posted on 22/10/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
desktop engine

Chatting with my brother yesterday and we got talking about miniature engines. He has always wanted one of the those mini steam engines since he was a kid - he is 34 now!!!

did a bit of googling and found these - linky

Would make a great christmas / birthday gift but they are pricy.

Anyone know of something similar but not as costly - Dont think one of the tin can stirling engines will quite have the same appeal!!!

cheers

Paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

coyoteboy

posted on 22/10/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
model stirlings are getting something of a revival. They're actually quite hard to get working properly if you make them from scratch so to be honest that's not a bad price.

Cheaper ones are all over the internet but they generally don't work so well.

BTW it's not a steam engine.

iank

posted on 22/10/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Similar design from China, but not as shiny. Video shows at least one has worked
eBay Item

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

skydivepaul

posted on 22/10/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
yep I know that's not a steam engine but I think the stirling engines would be more useable than a steam engine.

The Bohm engines look well made, I have seen a few Chinese copies on ebay but they don't look like they would last very long.

Dont think I would try to make one from scratch, for one I dont have the resources or tools to make one.

A good kit so my brother could build one up easily would be the thing. The Bohm engine fits the bill so far

how long do you think the glass tube would last with a fire burning under it???

[Edited on 22/10/13 by skydivepaul]

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

richardm6994

posted on 23/10/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
My dad and I have been involved in model engineering for 20+ years.....and between us we've built 1/3scale traction engines, 5" gauge and 10.25" gauge steam locos and tons of different steam stationary engines.

The Stuart turner models are good "desk top" stationary engine, but you have to machine the castings and build them yourself. You can buy them complete from stuart turner but very expensive! They also come up on ebay quite a lot.

Becuase of this hobby, I was given one of those hot air engines similar to that in your link as a xmas prezzy (mine had a glass tube and a dyno powering some leds)....and I must say it works a treat and looks really nice!
The glass tube seems to last...but it does go brown.

[Edited on 23/10/13 by richardm6994]

[Edited on 23/10/13 by richardm6994]

ashg

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
buy him a small lathe. making sterling engines and steam engine models is where i learnt most of my machining skills, there are some really excellent books out there for model engineering. i have a whole series of these books

Amazon Link

maidstone engineering do some beautiful models that i have personally had the pleasure of building. have a look here

http://www.maidstone-engineering.com/

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Peteff

posted on 23/10/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine bought himself a Mamod steam engine last week, reliving his childhood I think

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jps

posted on 23/10/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
A friend of mine bought himself a Mamod steam engine last week, reliving his childhood I think

simple but great fun. there's a book called ' building model steam engines' or similar by Tubal Cain that I used to get out of the library as a kid on a regular basis and read whilst wishing I had a lathe and access to the necessary raw materials!

good links on this thread, I'm thinking perhaps I DO deserve a Christmas present this year after all...!

richardm6994

posted on 23/10/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of showing off now....

This is my dad driving a 5" gauge midland compound that I built. I started it when I was 18 and it was finally finished 8 years later...(the video is one I stumbled across on YouTube)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4cO1JG__8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcj4cO1JG__8

David Jenkins

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you can show off, so can I...

This is a 5" gauge model of a narrow-gauge loco - capable of hauling a dozen adults without a struggle. Probably wouldn't go well on a desk, as it weighed well over 100lbs (a difficult 2-man lift as there was only the buffer bar to put your fingers under).

Sadly I decided to sell it recently - it had been sitting unused in the garage for 6 or 7 years and was showing signs of deterioration. The money is paying for a lot of new toys for the workshop though!

As for a desktop model - I've seen sterling engine models that run using a night-light under the hot end. They're quite impressive as they run really slowly.

[Edited on 23/10/13 by David Jenkins]

skydivepaul

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
cracking idea getting him a lathe but he lives in a two story apartment so doesn't have workshop space.
something he can assemble from a kit with little finishing is what I am after

the ebay chinese stirling engine may be worth a punt

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

coyoteboy

posted on 23/10/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

how long do you think the glass tube would last with a fire burning under it???

They last ages.

ashg

posted on 23/10/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
cracking idea getting him a lathe but he lives in a two story apartment so doesn't have workshop space.
something he can assemble from a kit with little finishing is what I am after

the ebay chinese stirling engine may be worth a punt

What are you on about :-) I used to have a 14inch bed mini lathe workbench pillar drill scroll saw, bench grinder in the back bedroom of our old house. Was more than adequate for building models

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

richardm6994

posted on 24/10/13 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
If you can show off, so can I...

This is a 5" gauge model of a narrow-gauge loco - capable of hauling a dozen adults without a struggle. Probably wouldn't go well on a desk, as it weighed well over 100lbs (a difficult 2-man lift as there was only the buffer bar to put your fingers under).

Sadly I decided to sell it recently - it had been sitting unused in the garage for 6 or 7 years and was showing signs of deterioration. The money is paying for a lot of new toys for the workshop though!

As for a desktop model - I've seen sterling engine models that run using a night-light under the hot end. They're quite impressive as they run really slowly.

[Edited on 23/10/13 by David Jenkins]

A "sweet pea" I believe

Very nice ! My dad has got as far as building the rolling chassis for one. It runs off compressed air but is waiting a boiler however other projects are getting in the way.

navyseamonkey2011

posted on 24/10/13 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Minature engines

Now I know its not of the steampowered variety, but if I could put a toy on the list for Santa it would be one of these!!

Conley precision engines

martinq357

posted on 24/10/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
One of my colleagues got into building solenoid engines from scratch, never even heard of them before he turned up at work with one.

He started with a single, then V-twin, a very clever 'rotary' looking engine with a prop on it and finally a V8.... a bit like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYEdD94vH0

His wasn't quite as elegant (but pretty close) but importantly he'd constructed all the pushrods for timing the solenoid switching to run off a chain driven camshaft so it even looked like it was opening/closing the valves! The really amazing part was that it sounded like a V8 and it did use a lot of current!!

skydivepaul

posted on 24/10/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinq357
One of my colleagues got into building solenoid engines from scratch, never even heard of them before he turned up at work with one.

He started with a single, then V-twin, a very clever 'rotary' looking engine with a prop on it and finally a V8.... a bit like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYEdD94vH0

His wasn't quite as elegant (but pretty close) but importantly he'd constructed all the pushrods for timing the solenoid switching to run off a chain driven camshaft so it even looked like it was opening/closing the valves! The really amazing part was that it sounded like a V8 and it did use a lot of current!!

they are pretty cool. never thought of solenoid engines before being a proper petrolhead.......................but being an electronic tech by trade i might have a crack at building one of those

thanks

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.