Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cooling system 1.6 pinto
charmlea

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
cooling system 1.6 pinto

Hi all, been reading many threads on here ref bad cooling systems on the pinto, here is my story, see if anyone can help.
my set up on robin hood
rad bottom hose to water pump
small outlet on water pump blocked off
rad top hose to thermostat [ there is no small out let on thermostat]
bottom hose on expansion tank to inlet manifold
top hose on expansion tank banked off.

when you rev engine top hose sucks in, must meen theres air in system, have filled rad by taking off top hose to get rid of air,
it has a manual electic fan. switch on dash. we did not build this, its been running for a few years now but just think that this set up is wrong, anyhelp on this would be much appriciated.

mick reed [cambridge]

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
The small spigot on the water pump is an inlet it should be connected to the inlet manifold to form the bypass/heater circuit.
The top of the header tank should connect to the highest point on the cooling circuit which can be either the top of the rad or the thermostat housing.
The lower connection on the header tank goes into a tee on the the lower hose.

Drilling a couple on 2mm to 2.5mm holes in then thermostat can help avoid airlock and thermostat not opening issues.

[Edited on 3/6/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MP3C

posted on 3/6/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could connect the blanked off top hose on the header tank to the blanked off small hose on the water pump?

That's how mine is done. Seems to work fine + the 82 degree thermostat helped me a lot.

Matt

Edit: that hose that connects from the pump to the top of the header tank. When mine gets blocked with gunk (happened twice) my engine overheats dramatically.

[Edited on 3/6/14 by MP3C]

charmlea

posted on 3/6/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
cheers lads for the suggestions, we are now on the case, think its 16mm pipe for the hose and we have just ordered the thermostat 82, will let you know how we get on, mick and ash,

[Edited on 3/6/14 by charmlea]

MP3C

posted on 3/6/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wait!!! sorry not the small hose on the water pump. DUH!!! the small hose on the thermostat, if you have one. (which you don't as I have now read XD) sorry.

The small hose from the water pump goes into the cylinder head in the middle of the inlet manifold sorry for the confusion. was half way though a planning application at the time and my brain must have shutdown XD

Matt

[Edited on 3/6/14 by MP3C]

charmlea

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mat, so what about the blanked off hose on the top of the expansion tank ?
MP3C

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The top of the header tank should connect to the highest point on the cooling circuit which can be either the top of the rad or the thermostat housing.
[Edited on 3/6/14 by britishtrident]

Matt

alfas

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
i think best would be to have some pictures of your enginebay.

also the exact model of your robin.

i remember on some sierra-based models with (front) inboard suspension the rad was mounted behind the nosecone, near the engine.

using the mechanical fan mounted on the waterpump , everything was fine....if such cars had been converted to electrical fan..nothing worked anymore.

charmlea

posted on 3/6/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
if i can figure out how to post pictures on here i will post all the pics of the pipe work, it may take a while!!!!!!
jacko

posted on 3/6/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
On mine
rad bottom to pump
top rad to thermostat
inlet manifold to top of header tank
bottom of header tank to 16mm pipe on water pump
this is how mine has been for about 10 years

engine  2
engine 2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 3/6/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
but thats a totally differnt car (MK indy?)...so not really transferable on a Robin...
charmlea

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the indy no different to a robin, only difference I can see is that the rad has a cap on and ours does not.
alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
your robin has for sure a different radiator, also the radiator location is for sure slightly different.

we need pictures!!!

you need to go to a picture hosting webpage (http://en.directupload.net/) , upload a picture, than you will get offered differnt links.

one of those links you copy into your posting here at the forum...job done.

you can alos use the picture-icon above

there you copy the link from the picture hosting webpage.

britishtrident

posted on 4/6/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
It is best tonavoid having two pressure caps on a system has the potential to cause air locks.
The reason is a cooling system pressure cap has two valves, one is the pressure relief valve the other is a vacuum relief valve to let air back into the system on cooling.

As no two valves work at exactly the same pressure there is a risk that on each heating and cooling cycle the valves could work out of synch resulting in air collecting at the wrong point of the system so that the cylinder head and rad could be full of air and and the header tank overfull of coolant.

[Edited on 4/6/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

alfas

posted on 4/6/14 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
but there are several caps existing...the ones with 2 gaskets and 2 valves...the ones with only 1 gasket and 1 valve...and also a blanking cap, which can look like a pressure cap...but has no valve inside....

one valve and blanking:

2 valve:

[Edited on 4/6/14 by alfas]

jacko

posted on 4/6/14 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
but thats a totally differnt car (MK indy?)...so not really transferable on a Robin...

We are talking pinto engines not different makes of cars

The rad top on my car is blocked off it does not work as a valve
the top on the header tank lets air in and out
the tank came of a sierra
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.