Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1. Spoiler alert (but not from me)
jollygreengiant

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
F1. Spoiler alert (but not from me)

Well, what can I say. What a race. Well done to the winner and all others. I hope the driver is OK.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

JoelP

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed. Telling, I think, that they didn't show the crash despite the fact that cameras must've been trained on the spot for the previous accident. Fingers crossed.

I think it was a very bad call not ending the race as soon as the rain started heavy again. Failing light and past 40 laps, it should've been shelved.

[Edited on 5/10/14 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jps

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Indeed. Telling, I think, that they didn't show the crash despite the fact that cameras must've been trained on the spot for the previous accident. Fingers crossed.

I think it was a very bad call not ending the race as soon as the rain started heavy again. Failing light and past 40 laps, it should've been shelved.

[Edited on 5/10/14 by JoelP]

Looks like he hit the truck recovering the first crashed car. Not good.

britishtrident

posted on 5/10/14 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of the Norrie Galbraith accident at Doune .....I am afraid single seat V tractor only only one possibe outcome.

[Edited on 5/10/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/10/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
This is a horrible incident, one that always worries me.

I hope all the armchair warriors on here ( they know who they are ) who say how pathetic F1 is for not racing in the heavy rain are feeling pretty ashamed right now.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Canada EH!

posted on 5/10/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
It won't be long before the NON-sporting news will be all over what did occur!
jollygreengiant

posted on 5/10/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
It won't be long before the NON-sporting news will be all over what did occur!

You have U2U.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

CosKev3

posted on 6/10/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=935_1412607015

Was a big impact

Fingers crossed for him to recover fully.

slingshot2000

posted on 6/10/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Feck me ! I almost wish I hadn't watched that!
It must never be allowed to happen again.

I just hope that somehow Bianchi pulls round.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/10/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
That was one scary hit!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 6/10/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have noticed that this season even at Monaco they don't seem to be using truck mounted slewing cranes that lift from behind the barriers.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

morcus

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick question for the guys with better understanding of the rules than me (And I'm not watching the footage so maybe it didn't happen the way I think it did), but why wasn't running at reduced pace for the yellow flag (And possibly Safety Car, I'm not entirely certain though if the SC was out for Sutil at the time)?

A terrible incident and hopefully he'll recover as he has shown some amazing talent this year.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

bi22le

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think there was a safety car out although the obvious Green Flag seems to suggest otherwise.

For context I can tell you that it started raining after many had just been in the pits and it was near the end of the race. He may of been on old inters.

This is from memory. I am sure you can find out more detail.

Either way it is normally yellows in the sector that had men on track. Saying that, luck nobody was behind the truck.

Sad times. If he was at a reduced pace and yellows waving then it should not of happened. There is something not right.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

v8kid

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I DO wish I had not watched that!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tims31

posted on 6/10/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Just a quick question for the guys with better understanding of the rules than me (And I'm not watching the footage so maybe it didn't happen the way I think it did), but why wasn't running at reduced pace for the yellow flag (And possibly Safety Car, I'm not entirely certain though if the SC was out for Sutil at the time)?

A terrible incident and hopefully he'll recover as he has shown some amazing talent this year.

With a recovery vehicle within the circuit limits it should have been a waved double yellow flag, however even so the speed F1 cars travel even under double waved yellow is very fast, Suzuka has alot of 'rivers' running across it when it rains making very easy to aquaplane and once on the grass you are not going to slow down.

It does seem crasy that for years they have campained for longer run offs, tyre barriers, pushing walls back etc but still allow agricultural vehicles onto the track while racing still continues under the 'Safety' of double waved yellows. If one car can go off then so can others, better to hit another F1 car than a tractor, others have come close before so the warning signs have been there.

I do hope he recovers from what was a sickening accident, get well soon Jules

Have just seen another version of the accident and there was a double waved yellow which switched to a green flag just prior to Jules running off, however this is probably just to signify the sector after the accident is now green , the sector before should still be double waved yellow as the recovery vehicle is still within the track limits.

[Edited on 6/10/14 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Texan

posted on 7/10/14 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
As bad as it was just think of how much worse if he'd have hit on the front of the crane. There were at least 2 people standing there.

I drive therefore I am.

JoelP

posted on 7/10/14 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
I can't believe he hit the tractor so hard it jumped. From his point of view its as unlucky as it could be, skimming under the back. Some sort of crash structure on the tractor could've easily lessened the risk.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scootz

posted on 7/10/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The double yellows definitely stopped at the scene and changed to a green a good few seconds before the impact... I wonder if he had booted the car back up on seeing the change to green and just misjudged the standing water.

It's Evolution Baby!

beaver34

posted on 7/10/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
green flag means full speed after the flag though not before as far as im aware
scootz

posted on 7/10/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
But do they wave it AT the danger site side-by-side with the guy waving the double yellows, or once you've reached a safe distance past the hazard?

From what I saw, the double yellows and the green flag were being waved at exactly the same point on this occasion. And you didn't see them both being waved at the same time... when the yellow went out of view, the green came into play. Looks like a cock up to me, but I could be wrong... I frequently am!

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not nice but could have been worse. Could have taken out marshals or even decapitated him. The reaction of some of the marshals seemed to be a bit reluctant, as in "I don't want to see the result of that!" and probably a bit of "Christ that was close!"

Technically the flags were after the incident (just) so the signal to swap to greens probably came from race control who misjudged how close they were to the incident. You'd still expect some common sence from the marsal to ignore/question the instruction, especially after the second incident, and not just keep waving greens.
Think the back of the tractor probably lifted as it already was supporting 700kg of car of the front so wouldn't take much.

Current reports are "Critical but stable". Fingers crossed for him.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bi22le

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
But do they wave it AT the danger site side-by-side with the guy waving the double yellows, or once you've reached a safe distance past the hazard?

From what I saw, the double yellows and the green flag were being waved at exactly the same point on this occasion. And you didn't see them both being waved at the same time... when the yellow went out of view, the green came into play. Looks like a cock up to me, but I could be wrong... I frequently am!

The flag signifys the situation PAST to flag, not before it. If he saw the green he should still be causous untill past it. But, I guess its like being on the motoway and exiting average speed cameras. You "build up speed".

The other way of looking at it, and I think this happened this year, is if he was overtaking then he cant do so untill he was past the green flag. Or just before a yellow of course. It was coincidental the recovery was at a flagged marshal post.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.