Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 30 / Jag V6 bare weight kg??
DIY Si

posted on 16/11/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to use the big ally blocks/mounts? Are they integral to the AV mount you have to use? If they can be replaced somehow you could use a mount shaped something like mine, but higher up on the block.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

KFC

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Do you have to use the big ally blocks/mounts? Are they integral to the AV mount you have to use? If they can be replaced somehow you could use a mount shaped something like mine, but higher up on the block.

They are expensive to replace. I have to use them as it's easier and the steering column is badly placed for this mod. The gap at the minimum between the column and the mount is 30mm.

The subframe is heavily corroded as they seem to be.

v8kid

posted on 16/11/14 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Good luck unscrewing the large banjo bolt on the engine mount. That is one tight mother

You are not kidding I just sheared a halfords pro 0.5" extension with the strongarm getting it off. Anyhow good tips I think I'll copy you
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 17/11/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Given that you're looking at a plate on a mount onto an AV mount, I'd do away with all three and make something better/less complicated. Can the bit that bolts to the subframe be easily removed? If that were replaced with a poly bush type mount you'd get a better angle up to the block or maybe go higher up the block and still clear the column. The other option is to have something like the existing AV mount, but angled in towards the engine. That would give much better clearance and allow you to angle it up the block. It would also lessen the twisting motion put into the mounts as they are now as the force would go more directly into the rail rather than above it.

OK, it would mean the money you've spent so far is wasted unless you can sell the bits on, but it's what I think I'd do with that set up. It's a cleaner solution and works round the problems so far.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KFC

posted on 17/11/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Given that you're looking at a plate on a mount onto an AV mount, I'd do away with all three and make something better/less complicated. Can the bit that bolts to the subframe be easily removed? If that were replaced with a poly bush type mount you'd get a better angle up to the block or maybe go higher up the block and still clear the column. The other option is to have something like the existing AV mount, but angled in towards the engine. That would give much better clearance and allow you to angle it up the block. It would also lessen the twisting motion put into the mounts as they are now as the force would go more directly into the rail rather than above it.

OK, it would mean the money you've spent so far is wasted unless you can sell the bits on, but it's what I think I'd do with that set up. It's a cleaner solution and works round the problems so far.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea but the hours involved with that alone is far too much for me. With all the other mods to get where I am now I'm guessing it would be at least 100 hours. I want to drive this car by the spring, not be an ongoing project. I really enjoy the challange and at the same time knowing I'll be driving it soon is exciting. I want this to be a conversion that will use as many standard parts as possible so that maybe others can do it well, sell my adapter kits.

Anyway, I think we should get back to the thread title, how about a supercharger?

v8kid

posted on 17/11/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KFC
Anyway, I think we should get back to the thread title, how about a supercharger?

This thread has wandered so much I've lost the plot as well The title was jag V6 weight !

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
KFC

posted on 17/11/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:
Originally posted by KFC

This thread has wandered so much I've lost the plot as well The title was jag V6 weight !

Cheers!

Oh yeah, I might have another thread about more power, displacement..

DIY Si

posted on 18/11/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KFC
quote:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea but the hours involved with that alone is far too much for me. With all the other mods to get where I am now I'm guessing it would be at least 100 hours. I want to drive this car by the spring, not be an ongoing project. I really enjoy the challange and at the same time knowing I'll be driving it soon is exciting. I want this to be a conversion that will use as many standard parts as possible so that maybe others can do it well, sell my adapter kits.

In which case, I would get it going as it is and then look at improving the design down the road. Just don't expect to sell too many kits if others can look at something and see a way to simplify things, as that's what they'll do. Any kit needs to make doing it another way cost more or folk will just do it the other way. It's part of why I never looked at buying in my ITB set up. Most things that I can buy, I can make at least as well as I view my time as free, whilst others will quite rightly want paying for theirs! This means I can do things like spend hours port matching in a way that you just wouldn't pay someone else to do for such marginal gains.

And 100 hours is nothing!! I've probably spent near that that just researching bits for my front suspension before I put angle grinder to metal. I know my rear suspension has taken at least twice that, if not way more. But counting hours is dangerous on a hobby!!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KFC

posted on 18/11/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
True but I don't want to spend all my time in the garage like I am at the moment, I do like other fun in my life. The only kits I want to have a go at selling is the RX8 gearbox to klde V6 adapter plate with moded flywheel to complete the pairing.
DIY Si

posted on 19/11/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
In which case I wish you the best of luck!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

CosKev3

posted on 19/3/19 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just weighed the AJ30 going in my car
Engine with sump on,
ST200 inlet manifold,
Small denso alternator,
ST200 solid flywheel,
RX8 gearbox adapter plate,

130kg.

Engine complete with 6 speed RX8 gearbox and updated Mondeo 240mm clutch,

183kg.

Engine with Denso alternator on,

119.7kg.

[Edited on 19/3/19 by CosKev3]

spegru

posted on 4/3/21 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
so pleased to find this data as this AJ30/RX8 combo is almost exactly what I have nfor my Gilbern Invader.
What I'd really like is some relaible weight data on the original setup which was Ford Essex & Type F box.

PS what 'update' did you do to the clutch flywheel for the Jag/Mazda combo?

[Edited on 4/3/21 by spegru]

CosKev3

posted on 4/3/21 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
so pleased to find this data as this AJ30/RX8 combo is almost exactly what I have nfor my Gilbern Invader.
What I'd really like is some relaible weight data on the original setup which was Ford Essex & Type F box.

PS what 'update' did you do to the clutch flywheel for the Jag/Mazda combo?

Cut the starter ring gear off the AJ30 auto flywheel,had the ST200 ring gear machined down into a 4mm spacer then fitted the AJ30 ring gear onto the ST200 flywheel, you can then use the AJ30 starter.

The other way which big_wasa off here has done is swap the bendix out of a Ford starter into the AJ30 starter,then redrill the RX8 adapter plate to move the starter motor inwards so it works with the standard ST200 flywheel

rusty nuts

posted on 5/3/21 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Gilbert Invader, there’s a blast from the past. The first kit car I ever helped build around 1971 , much nicer than a Reliant Scimitar . Good luck with your conversion
spegru

posted on 5/3/21 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thoughts Rustynuts. I don't know whether there is any way to tell if it was originally a kit or not - but it certainly is now!
In fact it has replaced my Scimitar - which I thought was a bit too big and heavy.

CosKev3 did you use a standard dual mass flywheel? I'm unclear if an ST200 is any different to be honest

thanks

spegru

PS you can see me messing around with this project here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spegru%27s+garage

CosKev3

posted on 5/3/21 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
Thanks for the thoughts Rustynuts. I don't know whether there is any way to tell if it was originally a kit or not - but it certainly is now!
In fact it has replaced my Scimitar - which I thought was a bit too big and heavy.

CosKev3 did you use a standard dual mass flywheel? I'm unclear if an ST200 is any different to be honest

thanks

spegru

PS you can see me messing around with this project here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spegru%27s+garage

No ST200 is a solid flywheel and way lighter than a dual mass

spegru

posted on 7/3/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks coskev3

To be honest I'm quite unfamiliar with these so I just did a quick search on ebay
I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BF-FLYWHEEL-BRAND-NEW-20090225661/284180011393?fits=Model%3AMondeo%7CCars+Type%3A2.5+ST+200&epid=12028232024&hash=i tem422a72d981:g:sLcAAOSwyahgJEAA

Does that seem correct?

thanks
spegru

big_wasa

posted on 7/3/21 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't look correct to me. But it's a bit hard with the info on there.
CosKev3

posted on 8/3/21 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
It states it weighs 32kgs!

As above unless they can send you pics of the exact flywheel its hard to say

mgb281

posted on 17/3/21 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
The generally accepted weight of a 3.0 Essex engine is 400 lbs, some sources say 379lbs. To put it into perspective the weight of a 1990's Ford 302 V8 is circa 425lbs complete less fluids.
big_wasa

posted on 17/3/21 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder what a Cologne weighs ?

That’s what mine will be replacing.

big_wasa

posted on 17/3/21 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
So the Duratec 30 isn’t much heavier than a Zetec. Felt like it pulling it out of the mondeo.
mgb281

posted on 17/3/21 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
The Cologne is lighter than the Essex, bear in mind the Essex was originally designed to have a diesel version, again the weights are all over the place, some will be for OHV and others OHC but 365lbs is a good figure to use.
spegru

posted on 18/3/21 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just invested in a weight scal to attach to my engine crane.

So I can confim the weight of the AJ6 complete with Alternator, AC compressor large Jaguar inlet manifold but no flywheel per se (only an auto box starter plate) - plus the RX8 adaptor plate previously discussed

162.5kg

I also weighed the R8 6 speed gearbox
42.8kg

mgb281

posted on 19/3/21 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think that you will find that either a five or six speed RX8 gearbox will weigh 50kgs, I have weighed several on different scales and they have always weighed 49/50/51 kgs. The variation maybe the scales or just some had oil and others did not.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.