Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T: Where to start with an extension?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 13/11/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
O/T: Where to start with an extension?

You guys seem to know the answer to everything, so I thought you might be able to help on a non car related Q...

After considering moving, me and Mrs NLJ have decided to stay put as the cost of additional space doesnt really offset the benefit. We'd still like more room though, and our semi (fnarr) is on a good sized plot with a few options.

We'd like to extend to play room, which would be about 3m x 3m bringing the room inline with the front of the house. Single storey, unless it was financially sensible to build upwards as well.

We'd like to put a roof on our conservatory (currently three brick walls, so should be doable), and turn it into the kitchen, thus enabling us to 'knock through' from the lounge into the current kitchen to double the living space. I'd imagine this would need an RSJ about 2.5m in length.

Problem is I have no idea where to start with any of this. Im sure there are regulations to meet, and planning requirements to be signed off etc, but where to start? Builder? Architect? Council? I don't want to get fleeced and funds are available, but the budget does have a limit.

Any help or directions appreciated.

sdh2903

posted on 13/11/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Architect is what you need. They will know the extent of the permissions required and what will be required to meet them. A call to your local building standards office will also give you an idea of what is required permission wise.

Once you have your drawings then you can start getting rough estimates. Then once drawings are approved by local authorities then you can get a real accurate quote.

nick205

posted on 13/11/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Currently going through the same process.

As above, your start point is a good local architect, who will be familiar with (a) what's technically possible and (b) what's acceptable locally. A good one will also add value by making sure you get the best from the space available.

I have to say I've found our local planning office to be pretty helpful in determining what permissions are required etc.

One thing I've learnt about recently is "build over agreements" - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=194807

If you're planning to build over a sewer or manhole, you will need to seek agreement from the water company before works commence and then sign-off when complete. This should also be covered by the building regulations and building control as part of their sign-offs.

Irony

posted on 13/11/14 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see why you should involve a architect if your just doing such small works. He's only extending his playroom for goodness sakes! Any competent builder will be able to advise you on wether it's possible or not.
nick205

posted on 13/11/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
My take was NLJ is looking to add an extension, single or possibly two storey and to convert a conservatory into an extension. Both almost certainly require planning consent. Building up to the existing building line can also have implications.

Most architects will provide a free initial consultation to discuss scope and requirements, with the benefit that they (should) know what they're talking about. Most builders are also capable, but IMHO an architect is the best start point.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 13/11/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My take was NLJ is looking to add an extension, single or possibly two storey and to convert a conservatory into an extension. Both almost certainly require planning consent. Building up to the existing building line can also have implications.

Most architects will provide a free initial consultation to discuss scope and requirements, with the benefit that they (should) know what they're talking about. Most builders are also capable, but IMHO an architect is the best start point.

Yep, thats basically it. So start with an architect. This presumably could be a hidden expense? Is there any kind of formula of cost per sq mtr?

tegwin

posted on 13/11/14 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
If its a reasonably simple job you could potentially do it under permitted development so no planning application required. I would get in some reputable builders BEFORE you talk to an architect and see what they say about the job. They should be able to handle building regs and notifications for permitted development (if it falls under that)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

sdh2903

posted on 13/11/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
It will vary massively from architect to architect. To give an example we recently had a garage converted into a bedroom and the architect quotes ranged from 280 to 1300 quid. Shop around get some quotes or ask for recommendations from friends or local builders.

The problem with just asking builders is they will build you anything you want and (some) can be quite blasé about planning regs.

nick205

posted on 13/11/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard various estimates of cost/sqm for extensions, but it's going to depend on so many variables. e.g. a pitched tiled roof over a flat felt roof.

The architect will have fees for creating the necessary drawings to submit to the planning office. Most will also offer a service where they submit and manage the application for you. This depends on your viewpoint and budget I suppose, but they do it for a living so will avoid the pitfalls you may fall into.

As an example we paid an architect £300 for plans and submission on a conservatory in 2007 in Hampshire. Brother in law's just paid another architect approx. £2.5k for full plans, submission and managing the building contractor on a large extension, including rerouting a gas pipe.

Brook_lands

posted on 13/11/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Done 2 extensions.

First was two storey and added about 50% extra to the house - got an architect in to do planning permission, building control, tender for works and to project manage the building works. For something that big I'm sure that the fee was less than the amount he saved us on the overall job.

Second was a single storey extension to the living room, 3 x 5 metres. Decided to do it myself and just copied/ adapted information etc from the first time. Council guys were really good especially building control who came out during the build and gave excellent help and advice (maybe I got a good one)

Cost depends on location, what is required, level of finish how big. Start at circa £1,000 per sqm but there are so many factors which could take it up or down.

martinq357

posted on 13/11/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you've already made a good start but the most important thing is to decide what you want from the extension.

Have a good look online at other extensions and on your councils website. They will have all the approved plans on there from other residents in your area. It is a good source of information, especially for things you may not have thought of.

You may not be able to use he existing foundations from the conservatory if they are not up to spec. The building inspector made our builders go down another 100mm for ours and they were already bloody deep! Also don't limit yourself to an existing structure, ultimately this could compromise what you want.

Our architect submitted the plans for us and once approved and published online, you'll be hearing from builders all over the country!

We built a single storey kitchen diner with a utility room and garage on the side. We went out 4.3m and everybody, including my wife, reckoned that was too much.....it isn't.

Keep us updated.

Rod Ends

posted on 13/11/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.