Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Honda Engine for GTM Libra
rdodger

posted on 10/8/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Engine for GTM Libra

Evening all.

I have recently bought another GTM Libra. This one has a Honda B16a engine, my last had Rover K series VVC.

I am going to totally rebuild the car and may change the engine. The Current B16a engine looks a mess and when I picked it up it had low oil level, no coolant only water in the cooling system and generally looks uncared for.

On the upside it does have a dyno sheet to show 180bhp at the flywheel from a few years ago. It has done 65000 miles in the Libra and unknown before that. As it's a factory built car I have no way of finding out. It seems to run well with no smoke etc.

I am quite keen to use some sort of Honda V-tec engine. Especially one that rotates the wrong way as the bulk of the weight sits on the passenger side giving better weight distribution. I realise in the real world this may not make much difference but I like the idea

I love the way they rev and sound and their seemingly bullet proof reliability

So my thoughts so far are:

Rebuild the current B16a engine.
Upgrade to a B16b.
Upgrade to a B18. Not sure which version is the best?

Having had a little look about engines of this type are quite old and have high mileages so may require a rebuild anyway.

I have considered a K20 but they are quite big and heavy with the gearbox.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

ettore bugatti

posted on 10/8/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the head is allright you could also source a B20 block from a CRV and build a B20 hybrid
rdodger

posted on 10/8/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
If the head is allright you could also source a B20 block from a CRV and build a B20 hybrid

That sounds interesting!

Any links or info on that?

alex1991

posted on 11/8/15 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
B20's are fine but won't rev like a b16b or b18c or c6 without being properly built. They will also never be as reliable as a stock engine.

You could look at the B18c or c6 from a DC2 as this will be 187bhp for UK and 200bhp for JDM spec. These engines are pretty expensive though.
The B16B is cheaper as many swap it for the B18c, the B16B has the same block as the B18 but the same crank as the B16.
You could buy a B18c4 and swap the dual runner intake for an aftermarket one and get it remapped with some type R cams and that will be a good strong engine while being cheap.

On the flip side your B16 will probably be ok, they are really reliable.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/8/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
You could also consider the H22 from e.g. the Prelude or older Accord Type R. This is effectively a slightly larger version of the B16/18 (the block and head is different) but it's still an anti-clockwise engine and will be a lot cheaper than a good DC2 B18 which tend to fetch an absolute fortune. The H22 makes between 200 and 220 bhp in standard form depending on the exact version (Japanese market Prelude Type S makes 220).

I'd personally not bother with a B20 conversion. It's a long stroke engine (undersquare), and the 1.6 head limits breathing at the top end so while you get a decent boost in torque, it ruins the rev happy character of the B16.

The 169bhp B18C4, as found in the 5 door Civic VTi (Rover 400/45 shape), is fairly common and much cheaper to buy than a DC2 lump, but I was a bit disappointed with the performance of mine. In standard form at least it has nowhere near the urge of a good B16 and generally felt a little flat, though it was also lumbered with some stupid gear ratios which didn't help.

[Edited on 11/8/15 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.